Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have seen some comments on 3rd party Rotors, searched Wiki and could not find out pros/cons of the variety of slotted, drilled or the combination of slotted/drilled.

Also there are so many aftermarket companies selling rotors, what do you look for from a marketeer on their rotors?

Looking forward to some great discussion.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so here is some data that I have found tonight

- Cooling vanes creates more surface area and greatly increases cooling while reducing warping.

- Slots assist in reducing a "Glazing" of the pads, which leads to longer life of the pad. Slots also allow for the removal of impurties and move them away from the caliper, pads and wheel.

- Better cooling improves pad, and rotor life and helps reduce brake fade.

- Pillars are inside the disc. they are based on the same principal as a centrifugal pump, the pillars pump out the hot air which builds up within the ventilated brake disc.

- Heat sensitive paint can tell you how hot the rotor got.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so we need to break it up further? Track or Road, then to drilled, slotted or both?

I will format it all up at the end and put it in Wiki, but I need lots of people here to help me gather and post data. Once done it should be a good bit of info!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Well many of the experienced long time track guys do not like drilled because of the possibility of cracking and prefer slotted, the theory of the drilled ones providing more surface area for the heat to disapate is good but when it meets reality of holding up to conditions it is not a good trade.

That leaves the drilled rotors for autox, which really do not use brakes that hard since it is such a short event, or for bling factor, they do look hot behind an open wheel and will probably hold up if you only do a track event or two a year.

The slotted are good in any condition so I would start by getting slotted and then making a decision on whether you can live with the drilled ones depending on your intended use.

The other thing to take into account is cost becuase if you do track the car the rotors become a consumable item which you might go through quickly depending on the tracks you go to and some of these rotors can get expensive.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I think there is various diameters and thicknesses of rotors too? Material, 1 piece, 2 piece.. base vs. brembo..

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Real Nice start!

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
let me know what you want help with.. if we have 2-3 people digging up info we can get alot of stuff done.. coordination is key!

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I'll make this easy. IMO, drilled, bad. Street, track or air. Unless you want to spend the money for good casting. Which, can still crack. Take my buddies Porsche GT3, cracked rotors after like 3000 miles. That's lame @ $500 a rotor discount.

Slots, good, street or track.

From there on, it just depends on what you kind of stopping power you need. If you are talking rotors with stock calipers, than you can only expect so much.

And Wes brought up a good point about replacing rotors down the road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I vote slotted. All of the people I track with agree with me too. All I can say for drilled, have you ever played "connect the dot?"

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quite a few people I know that auto-x/track just say to get Napa/Brembo blanks because they are quite cheap and just about as effective. I'll be upgrading my pads and lines, but leaving rotors stock for awhile until I can figure out what I want.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Quite a few people I know that auto-x/track just say to get Napa/Brembo blanks because they are quite cheap and just about as effective. I'll be upgrading my pads and lines, but leaving rotors stock for awhile until I can figure out what I want.
imo, unless you are spending serious bank, you won't notice too much of a difference. So, yes, the blanks would be fine. Esp. with the OEM calipers. You cannot expect rotors to do that much with them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
another vote for slotted. I'm not an expect or anything, but I did some decent research to determine what BBK I should get, and the general concensus seems to be slotted.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Slotted. Don't waist your money on drilled unless you're blinging. As a serious track *****, I've tried both, and the drilled rotors cracked. Also, remember, the drilling reduces surface area that the pads can work against.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts