Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i saw a pic not that long ago but cant for the life of me remember where. Anyways it was a rockford fosgate 10'' sub in the bose place. Just wondering what would have to be done to get this to sound good better then stock to give some thump when you want but look just almost like stock. I know id have to run an amp but i wanna keep the stock headunit do you think it would still sound good if i put an amp to my components and replaced the sup in there with the stock unit maybe getting the jl audio clean sweep or whatever. thanks for replys in advance.

gbart

·
Registered
124 Posts
maan, i tried the p3 in the stock location but it rattled to much, i really couldnt find a way to properly secure it, other than screwing it to the metal. my suggestion would to get a custom box

·
Registered
316 Posts
At first i dropped a kicker 10' in the spot. It rattled too much like mentioned above. So i stuck with JL Audio which doesnt need as much air to breath and doesnt quite punch as hard as some other subs. I filled the hole with foam and did a layer of 3M tape around the speaker. Screwed in as many screws as possible, and took paper wedges and started taking care of the rattle. Popped the cover back on and BAM, cant even tell its ghetto'd :eek:)

Unless you plan going with dynamatt, then a high powered sub is going to create a lot of rattle you cant stop.

I use my stock head unit and currently have 3 10's and a aftermarket amp. JL Audio has something called a bass knob which will take the place of any crossovers you planed on using. The bass knob and a RCA converter will get the show on the road for the stock unit. The knob allows you to control your bass to the fullest... the RCA converter is necessary for the RCA's coming off the amp. (your stock unit doesnt have jacks)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool man thanks for the info i think i might just have a box built for that enclosure as im not lookin for poundage just some nice tight base like a jl w3 or so thanks again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anything came out of that?

I am planning to put a mild 10" in the stock location. Dynomat the metal panel and put some foam inside. Was thinking about putting an amp in there, too. I won't be running it at max power anyway - just to add a little character to the music.

So any 10" sub should fit?

·
Registered
316 Posts
no, actually no sub will fit in the hole perfectly except the stock bose. The hole is going to be slightly bigger than the 10" sub and will need some sort of gimic to hold it tight. (keep it from rattling) its not too complex of a job, you should be able to bust it out with in an hour.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok. Looks like it will be a trial and error type project. Anything just to save these 6 cubic feet of cargo space :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
just put a 10w6 in stock location and it fits 100% perfect with no alteration to the metal the only thing you have to alter is the stock sub cover. all screws sink tight into the metal and secure the sub just like it should be

the problem with aftermarket subs is the are not supposed to be free air design like the bose is, so the solution to that is to seel the area behind the sub with dynomat and basically build a seeled enclosure out of dynomat. 100% rattle free and sounds exdcellent, clean. be sure to line the stock metal ring the sub is screwed into with dyno mat. havent done that yet in the pics

this is the only way to do it in my opinion and keeps the stealth look and free trunk space. i def recomend a w6 in that space fills the cabin perfectly and with the windows down can be heard verywell outside the car....the cashier at the local wawa said it sounded like two twelves inside the store!!!! and i still have not even turned up the gain yet sub is only 3 days old still being broken in

if i get the time ill write up a tech page with some more pics i took.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
try to get some pics of it in the car i might have to go that route you running the stock deck? just curious how it sounds with the bose headunit. How much did it cost to seal it up good enough thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
you will have to get what is called a high low converter which will tap into the speaker wire that is going to either the rear speakers or stock sub. the converter has rca outputs on it which you will conect to your amp for the new sub. as long as you get an adjustable converter it can be tuned to your system.

it took a full dynomat trunk kit to properly seal everything up (probably could have been less but it is very important to get a good seal so i went overboard) i got mine at cost from best buy through a connect,it cost 65 it might be 100 if you actually get from the store

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool man thanks for the advice im lookin at doin this soon sounds like a great idea cant wait to give it a try.

·
Registered
75 Posts
im waiting for a grill for my w6 to come ups when it does ill be sure to post a completed pic, in the meantime ill post some pics of the sub in the stock location but no cover to give you an idea how it looks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool yeah that would be great thanks man

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am getting a 10 put in the stock location tomorrow...a local shop is installing it and dynomatting it aswell as installing my sub for 60 bucks. I hope it sounds good. I was kinda weery about it at first but the installer told me that he will make is sound good and that i will be happy with it....he said we will make sure that i like it.....so i guess 60 bucks it is......i hope its not a waste and end up wasting my time...

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Best way to do this is to throw the stock mounting plate in the trash (but keep the plastic cover). Construct a box out of 1/2 or 3/4 MDF to slide into the stock location. Fill it with fiberfill, mount your 10" and cover the whole thing with the factory plastic trim.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
just put a 10w6 in stock location and it fits 100% perfect with no alteration to the metal the only thing you have to alter is the stock sub cover. all screws sink tight into the metal and secure the sub just like it should be

the problem with aftermarket subs is the are not supposed to be free air design like the bose is, so the solution to that is to seel the area behind the sub with dynomat and basically build a seeled enclosure out of dynomat. 100% rattle free and sounds exdcellent, clean. be sure to line the stock metal ring the sub is screwed into with dyno mat. havent done that yet in the pics

this is the only way to do it in my opinion and keeps the stealth look and free trunk space. i def recomend a w6 in that space fills the cabin perfectly and with the windows down can be heard verywell outside the car....the cashier at the local wawa said it sounded like two twelves inside the store!!!! and i still have not even turned up the gain yet sub is only 3 days old still being broken in

if i get the time ill write up a tech page with some more pics i took.
On the jl audio website they have the 10w6 version 2

is this what you have???

or do you have the previous version.

let me know.

i may pick one up just to have one before they are discontinued!

may i also ask if you are just running the sub and the front speakers only or are you using al the speakers.

if you are not using the factory speakers what are you using!

sorry for so many questions, but iv'e been looking to do exactly this since i got the Z and finally there are a few on here who have!!!!

now i am really interested!!!

also wha tmodifications did you have to do to the cover?? are you using the original blank cover, or the stock cover that came with the bose?

i just wanted to know why you cut it!

last question did you're Z come stock with bose or just the standard setup?

thank you so much.

·
Registered
75 Posts
sorry i took so long still waiting on parts to finsh the grill cover and take picks to post. im cutting the bose cover to custom fit it in the space around the w6. it does not sit in the hole as the bose did so the stock grill cover has to be slightly modified and a grill cover has to be bought from jl for the w6 20 bucks

the sub is a 10w6v2 but the 10w3 and 10w1 will fit in the same spot depending on budget, loudness and sound quality. i think all wil be disappointed in the 10w1 sound quality and clarity though.

im using focals up front off a 200 x2 amp and leaving the rears hooked up to the head unit for slight fill and movies (have an avic z-1)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice bro keep us posted and post them pics when your done im looking to do this prob next week so let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Really interested to see how this goes. It would be interesting to see what difference just doing all the dynamatting does to just using the stock sub. I bet it would make even that sound better.

This is something I have been looking at. Ihave thought about putting in a box but if I can achieve a similar effect with a couple layers of dynamat I would be more than happy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts