Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Like alot of people I've searched numerous forums and I would like to finally get all the answer in one place. Please correct me if any of the information below is wrong.

a) You can replace the Bose HU without changing anything else. However general opinion seems to be that you would wear out/damage your new HU trying to drive the Bose Amp & speakers. Not recommended.

b) You can buy a line converter from a couple of shops (cost anywhere from $30 - $150. The AudioLink PD-4 seems to be one that is recommended frequently. This device sits between the new HU and the rest of the Bose gear. Music quality is reported to be fine. Apparently there is enough room behind the HU to place the line converter.

c) General opinion is that it is a waste of time to replace the HU and not the rest of the Bose gear. However due to whatever reasons you may have to do so option B seems to be the only way to do it.

Correct ????????

·
Registered
12 Posts
a) You can replace your headunit without anything else. Your second assertion is true in many cases, but in this case, I believe it is false. The Bose system has an amp that sits between the HU and the speakers themselves -- all of them (sub, tweets, and the 4 midrange drivers). IOW, your new HU would just be driving the factory amp, and impedance isn't such a big deal there.

b) There's plenty of room for one behind the HU, but I don't think it's required. (see above)

c) Not entirely true... I had my 7015 driving the stock setup for about a week as I waited for the amps for the "complete replacement" I was doing to come in. It sounded quite a bit better, not to mention the access to MP3s, etc that I didn't have with the stock setup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts