Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to buy one of those front license plate brackets for the 350Z that mounts in the front tow hitch? I saw one on a Z a while back, and it is very slick. You can just pop it out and replace that little section of the grille that covers the tow hitch anytime you want. And you don't have to drill any holes in your front bumper.

The reason I want one is the following:

In the last 25 years, I have gotten 3 tickets for no front plate on various cars in California. It was always a fix-it ticket with no fine. You just put on the front license plate, get it inspected and the ticket signed off at the Highway Patrol office, send the ticket to the court and you are done. Then you go home and take off the front plate.

NEW AND UGLY DEVELOPMENT: This week I got a parking ticket for no front plate on my 350Z while parked on the street in the Little Tokyo section of downtown L.A. It was a $25 fine, and no requirement to fix it. Those government bureaucrats finally wized up. I am not going to risk a $25 ticket every time I park on the street. So I guess I am a defeated man after all these years, and have to wear that silly front license plate that mars the look of the Z.

The only reason the city and the cops care about the front license plate is that it is needed for those red light camera tickets. They need a picture of your face and license plate together.

UGH!!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
www.strictlyz.com sells the Zee-brackets. I think they run about 45 bucks. Sorry about the bad luck :( I just keep my new vehicle registration on the front window and haven't gotten bothered yet (knock on wood).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Strictly Z is the only place I know of that carries Pat's bracket. Never heard a complaint about it, though. If I ever get the dreaded front plate ticket, it's the only thing I'd consider putting on my car.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i used a how-to and made one myself. i get many compliments on it even from my dealer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
SHoulda saw that b4 my dad drilled his holes

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
go to an autoparts store and purchase a "universal" license plate kit.

then head to the hardware store and buy some long bolts ~3-4inches

use some type of backing plate behind the tow hitch and bolt the license plate kit to it..

~5$ much better than 45$

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just used those pastic wire zip-ties, and attached a universal plate kit with them to the grill. And then mounted the plate to the bracket.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Steve350, you think you could do a write up on this?
I got a 16mm with a 2 pitch... it is 80mm long. Then i got two aluminum bars. That was a bad choice. I'm going to have to trade it for some steel ones so it will be easier to weld. I was going to just put the bolt into the factory tow hitch mount and put the place iin the middle, but now I am trying to put it on the driverside so it doesn't block as much airflow to the radiator. Just can't figure out how to do it. I don't want a bar going from the middle of the car all the way to the driverside. I was thinking about maybe using the front bumper support bar but i would probally have to take the front bumper off. Then i was thinking maybe i can just use a existing bolt behind the bumper to attach a custom bracket and it would come out through the grill. Anyone with any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i saw the how to on My350Z.com back when i first got my Z in November and did it that way. I can't remember the exact dimensions of everything but i got everything i needed for it at Lowes. Seems that board is down right now otherwise i would copy the how to here

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is a great idea, but if your Z was built after 02/04, they apparently changed the size of the tow hook bolt. My Z was built in 04/04 and the bolt is larger than the 16mm. I havent sized it yet, but its probably a 18mm. Tried to get the nissan parts guy at the dealership to tell me what size they are now, but his screen only gave the part number. If anyone figures out what size bolt it is now, I would appreciate that info, as my tags havent come in yet and I am still trying to build the mount. All I need is the bolt size.....Thanks again...great idea.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Originally posted by Rich@Jul 27 2004, 10:11 AM
This is a great idea, but if your Z was built after 02/04, they apparently changed the size of the tow hook bolt.  My Z was built in 04/04 and the bolt is larger than the 16mm.  I havent sized it yet, but its probably a 18mm.  Tried to get the nissan parts guy at the dealership to tell me what size they are now, but his screen only gave the part number.  If anyone figures out what size bolt it is now, I would appreciate that info, as my tags havent come in yet and I am still trying to build the mount.  All I need is the bolt size.....Thanks again...great idea.

good point. I have a early model 04 that is why the dimensions for the 03 setup fits. I haven't been able to check the size of a late model 04

1 - 14 of 14 Posts