Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't know much about relays but think I may need one? I heard somewhere that you might want to get this if you plan on running multiple amps in your car, but don' t really know how many are considered to be "multiple amps." Anyways, I plan to run three of these, 140A total, and am not sure what to do w/the remote turn on leads coming from them. The head unit is an alpine cda-9833, if that helps any.

·
Registered
87 Posts
[/quote]

As long as your amps have a switched on signal wire then you don't need a relay. You will want fuses or circuit breakers on the main power wires coming to each amp.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
The remote turn-on wire for amplifiers doesnt require much amps/volts. There is no reason to use a relay for this. Just connect all the remote turn ons, and then run 1 wire to your source (usually accessory wire or radio amp output wire)

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you plan on running ANYTHING (fans, neons, etc) else off of your remote wire you will need to put a relay on the turn on lead. The typical radio has roughly a 0.5a output for remote turn on. The typical amp draws almost no current on the remote wire.

However, it isn't a bad idea to put a relay on the remote wire if no fuse is present, for protection. Of course, putting an inline 0.5a fuse would be a more practical solution, but the relay will technically isolate the radio's output from the amps inputs.

[/quote]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts