Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to stress that I always use premium, have never used regular because I don't want it to cause issues with my car. My state is being affected by the gas shortage and every place I go to only has regular. I'm getting very low on fuel and need some to get to work next week. Would it be okay to put a little regular fuel into the tank or is this bad news? Not sure what to do about fuel if that's the case. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,584 Posts
There's no doubt about it- putting regular unleaded into your Z is not good for it. Your VQ35DE/HR was designed to run on premium unleaded to reduce detonation from high compression. Put in regular and the ECM will pull timing and dial back HP and mileage, but some damage can still be expected from detonation. I'd call abound and see if you can buy some racing unleaded fuel and blend it with regular to create a premium blend. Here in Colorado, I use Sunoco GT100 (100 octane unleaded) for my Z racecar and I bet there's a performance shop who sells some. It's expensive at $10-12/gallon, but blend it with 50/50 regular and you'll have a premium blend until fuel supplies stabilize later this week.

·
Super Moderator
1,584 Posts
So, what happened, Echo? Did you end up filling your tank with regular, or did the gas shortage end in your neck of the woods?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts