Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of changing my transmission oil at 2,500 to Redline MTL 90 (I live in South Florida where it ALMOST never get really cold and the thicker oil will be fine) and have been reading all the posts on this and other forums about Redline, but all the answers were from people who had used the transmission oil for only a few months in their Z. I would like to get the opinion of some owners who have used Redline in their Trans for a year or more. My questions are: have they has any problems, If so what type, did changing to Redline really improve the shifting over the long run?

PS: Before anyone says I used try Amsoil or Royal Purple, please be aware that both Company’s web site states that they did not make Trans oil for the Z. I think is because both are rated SL-5 rather than SL-4 which are cars requires.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I beleive the Z uses GL-4 or GL-5 fluid. So therfore the Royal Purple Max Gear will work fine. I am useing it in the Tranny and rear Diff.. I use RP 5w-30 in the engine. I use it year round and have not had ANY problems.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I used RL in my Z32 as soon as I got it. Had over 50k miles on it w/o a problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live in Nor Cal, were it sometimes get below 40F in the winter.

Have used both RP and RL MT90 in my G35 6MT.
If you drive in a warm climate only, the RP is a better choice.

If you plan on driving anytime below 50F, you should use either
RL MT-90 or MTL/MT90 50/50 split.

The issue with RP is that it contains friction modifiers. At >50F conidtions it operates smooth as silk (more so than RL). However; at <50F it does not provide enough friction to make the 6MT syncros cooperative (unit warmed up). I found that shifts could be very nothcy until warm.

Now RL MT-90 and MTL "do not" contain friction modifiers, which alleviates the cold weather issue mentioned.

·
Registered
56 Posts
[/quote]

I use MT90 and it did help iwth 1->2 notchiness. OK when cold , but imporves once warmed up.

If you're in a hot climate and/or track the car use MT90.
If you're in a colder climate and/or don't track the car use and MTL/MT90 mix.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also have Redline in the tranny.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in So Cal and purchased some MT 90 and a Rogue short shifter. I will be doing the install this weeked. I am hoping it will improve the first to second shift. I'll post my feedback next week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Royal purple 75w-90.. i heard this kind of fluid is good... i have it sitting at home.. i just need to put it in. A few of the members i've talked to on the 350zmotoring and my350z forum said the 75w90 can work in both tranny and rear end and they notice a good change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts