Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have '03 Track 350z. She has stock tires on right now but rear tires are pretty much completely bald. Front one's are ok. I was wondering if I should just get two rear ones first. 245/45/18 is the stock rear tire size but would it be okay to get 255's instead? Opinions PLEASE!!!! I'd like to know pro's and con's if I do get wider tires in the back. THANKS~!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Go for it. Make sure you adjust the aspect ratio accordingly. I should have done that when I replaced my rears, but I forget why I didn't.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I asked a few people if I am able to increase in tire width when changing out the rears on stock rims, and the majority mentioned a safety concern for doing that. I finally decided to just replace them with same tire size as OEM.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yeah the problem is getting the right combination to keep the VDC/TCS happy, if you have a base model (US) without TCS or VDC then go crazy the ECU wont care, but if you do have TCS/VDC then you have to keep the differences betweenn the front and rear close to stock and that seems to be aroun .4 in on the 17" wheels and .7 in on the 18" rims so if you go with 255/45 that is taller than the stock tire and not sure how the system will react to that, I have gone the other way (too small) and it didn't like it, it would kick in on high speed accel.

So the right choice would seem to be 275/40 and that is where the concern over safety comes in as tire manufacturers suggest a 9 in rim for 275 some have done it on the 17 inch rims which are 8" and the regular 18" rims which are also 8", you would probably be ok on the track rims which 8.5 but is the risk worth it?

Unless you are having traction issues like from Forced Induction I would go back with stock until you get wider wheels.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My 2c.

It's called +1, +2, +3 (hike!).

Go to Tirerack.com and search the sizes. Happy surfing. :irock:

·
Registered
77 Posts
This was posted in the newbie forum.

I strongly suggest you use this website http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html This site will tell you how much difference there is between your stock tire and tire you desire. If you increase or decrease your tire size over 3% of stock size (in outsize rolling diameter) it will affect your ABS braking system and VDC
Maybe that will help.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Is 255/45 that much of a difference? 245 = 4.3" 255 = 4.5" 2/10th of an inch?

Edit: Speedo Reading is 1.3% slower w/ the 255/45. When Speedo reads 60mph you're going 60.8mph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts