Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm another victum of the poor factory rear brakes! I toasted the rear brakes at 7,000 miles! I've got a couple of questions from reading all of the other postings. Hopefully someone can help me out: (I have a touring)

What is a track durable rear brake pad that will last? (OEM brakes, non-brembo) I'm reading some folks to say that the rear brakes are so undersized that folks can only get a few track days out of track pads. OEM rear pads won't even last through the track days. Where would you buy these pads from on the internet?

If you use a track rear pad, what rotor(s) should be used with the pads? I see the NISMO non-brembo pads advertised that they aren't recommended for use with the factory rotor. What is a good replacement rotor that won't kill the $bank$ ? Where would you buy these rotors from on the internet?

My front pads have been fine. Given the rear brakes are so poor has anyone ever upgraded the rear brakes prior to the front brakes with a big brake kit? What big brake kit would you recommend?

Lastly, do you know if anyone has published instructions on how to change the rear rotors on the 350Z...(like I said, another victim of the poor rear brakes on the Z!)

Thanks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Well, I'm another victum of the poor factory rear brakes! I toasted the rear brakes at 7,000 miles! I've got a couple of questions from reading all of the other postings. Hopefully someone can help me out: (I have a touring)

What is a track durable rear brake pad that will last? (OEM brakes, non-brembo) I'm reading some folks to say that the rear brakes are so undersized that folks can only get a few track days out of track pads. OEM rear pads won't even last through the track days. Where would you buy these pads from on the internet?

If you use a track rear pad, what rotor(s) should be used with the pads? I see the NISMO non-brembo pads advertised that they aren't recommended for use with the factory rotor. What is a good replacement rotor that won't kill the $bank$ ? Where would you buy these rotors from on the internet?

My front pads have been fine. Given the rear brakes are so poor has anyone ever upgraded the rear brakes prior to the front brakes with a big brake kit? What big brake kit would you recommend?

Lastly, do you know if anyone has published instructions on how to change the rear rotors on the 350Z...(like I said, another victim of the poor rear brakes on the Z!)

Thanks.
You didn't mention what year your Z is. I only know about the 2003-2004 models, so I'll just go from there....

If you want to track your Z, you really should get a brake kit upgrade. Either a complete big brake kit (the route I'm taking) or a staged kit that will allow your stock calipers to take larger rotors. The non-track model Z brakes cannot handle track use. They run nearly twice as hot as the track model Z under repeated high speed braking (see http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm).

If you really don't want to upgrade your rotors, then you'll have to run full-race pads -- but those shouldn't be used on the street. Therefore, you'll have to swap out pads before and after the track sessions.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Cobalt Friction GT Sport worked fine at Lime Rock, the only time I experience fade was following a GTI that couldnt stop and I didnt have the hp to pass him. It's too bad they only last 2 track events, I need to find something that can last about 1000 miles on the track. It sucks that we drive a heavy boat

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I feel your pain. I tracked my car a fair bit when I got it, and I was replacing rear brake pads at every service.

I switched to Ferodo DS2500 pads. They're less prone to fade, and they're the first set of pads that made it past my 10,000km (6250 mile) service.

Of course, I then went to Comp-R semi slicks and, with the extra braking grip available) destroyed the pads again.......

I've bought a set of OEM Z33 Brembos off another member here - my fellow track warriors have yet to fade them and their rear pads have survived better. But yes, the OEM non-Brembos just don't cut it on the track.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I actually didnt have big problem with fading, I just have problem with wear. I had a quick exchange with Cobalt Friction, they said 300 miles sounds right on the track. Since they dont have any other compound for the Z, i might switch to Hawks HP+, Hawks Black or Portersfield R4. I honestly dont think the stock brake system were that bad, ther werent many cars that can out brake me into big bend at Lime Rock.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I've only had fade twice on the track using the stock pads, and that was with high ambient and me hammering the brakes.

Most of the time I'm gentle on the brakes, but after running against Brembo equipped Z's I know that if I was to brake as late and as hard as some of my friends I'd hang on for 2-3 laps before I ran out of brakes.

·
Registered
483 Posts
the Brembo simply allows you to run more laps before they fade, i dont think it stops that much better, perhaps a little. As I said before, I only ran into problem when I had to change my line to avoid cars ahead of me. I think changing to a more aggressive pads can eliminate that prolem partially as it can handle more heat. The Cobalt Friction I had could do 900F

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe there is a company called Racing Brake or something like that. They sell a kit that has a new bracket and it relocates the calipers for larger diameter rotors. I looked at them before I bought the STOPTECH BBK...I'll pm their website if I can still find them.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
the Brembo simply allows you to run more laps before they fade, i dont think it stops that much better, perhaps a little.
Most brakes aren't going to stop you significantly better. Most brakes will lock up if you hit them hard enough, so more braking force will just get you locking up faster.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind a little more braking force, since I don't lock up the tyres with semis. I'll have to see if I can dial up the braking strength on the Brembos.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Most brakes aren't going to stop you significantly better. Most brakes will lock up if you hit them hard enough, so more braking force will just get you locking up faster.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind a little more braking force, since I don't lock up the tyres with semis. I'll have to see if I can dial up the braking strength on the Brembos.
Just tried the Carbotech on an 04 enthuasist, same result.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You didn't mention what year your Z is. I only know about the 2003-2004 models, so I'll just go from there....

If you want to track your Z, you really should get a brake kit upgrade. Either a complete big brake kit (the route I'm taking) or a staged kit that will allow your stock calipers to take larger rotors. The non-track model Z brakes cannot handle track use. They run nearly twice as hot as the track model Z under repeated high speed braking (see http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm).
NOTHING can be done to improve the OEM non-track rear brake pad wear as the rear pads are only about 1.5 square inch, other than removing the dust shields. And that only helps a tiny bit. Either bite the bullet and get used to replacing rear pads every other event, or upgrade to rear track Brembos or the rear Stopteck kit. I currently run Stoptech 13.1 F & Track Brembos R with Stoptech 2 piece floating rear rotor. Not the ultimate set-up, but d*mn close.

BTW, I've run about 40 HPDE's.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just pulled the pads off after 100 miles of hard track driving. The front pads are 50-55% worn while the rear pads are about 60% worn. This has slightly better wear than the Cobalt Friction GT Sport I used, but I had trouble with brake fade (either due to the pads or the fluid) . Plus my last two event had ,more miles than the track events this year, so it is a toss up between the Cobalt Friction GT Sport and Carbotech XP8. The only thing I can say is that the XP8 does stop better, but the GT Sport seems to be more reliable. I used OEM fluid on my first time, it worked fine. I used Valvoline fluid the next. I then switched to Motul for Pocono, it worked fine there. At Lime Rock Thursday, I had terrible fade. I guess I maxed out the fluid, it's time to break the piggy bank and go with the SRF Castrol i guess :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts