Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sounds stupids to many of you guys, but I do not know well about offsets on wheels.

I am trying to get VOLK SF-Challenge Wheel Front 19x8.5 21mm offset, and Rear: 19x9.5 28mm offset. Is this rear off set work for Z??? I will be getting TEIN FLEX.

Do I need to bend any tire wall or anything? If any one could help me, help me out.

Thanks
:monkey:

·
Registered
300 Posts
That will be fine. Use a 245/35 front tire and a 275/35 rear and you will be in good shape with no rubbing.

What the offset is is the dimension from the true center of the wheel to the mounting face where it meets the hub/brake disk face (wheel mounting surface). So if there is no offset at all (considered very aggressive) you have a very deep wheel as the mounting face is almost in the center of the rim. If you have a large offset, the face is almost flush with the outside of the rim and the wheel tucks into the fender further. Anything less than 15mm offset is considered aggressive and 20-35mm is common.

The thing to remember is that the hub bearings and suspension were designed for a certain offset and if you change it much from OEM you will change the stresses due to the change in leverage. Dumbed down version is that if OEM is 30mm offset and you go with 10 (and that is if it will fit under the fender) you will have a deep dish look but you might break your axle under load due to the increased leverage.

And also, if you go wider than stock, then the new offset may have to vary a little from OEM to fit properly and/or to put the wheel mouting face back where it belongs in relation to the hub but generally you want to be pretty close to OEM or risk damage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts