Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has done it? How would you rate it difficulty wise? Im thinking of purchasing the 26 w/25 transmission.....I assume this is the cheap part. Let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
it will all be custom fabrication from engine mounts to driveshaft. I read just the swap is around 10k for all the custom fab and labor (not including the engine)

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
there have been several japan tuning companies do this project, but the project costs so much most people will just build the VQ instead

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that top secret likes to do the rb swap $$$. Wouldnt a built VQ + turbo kit be roughly the same $. I like the idea of the swap not only for the power potential, but trying to do something less run-of-the-mill. Also I cannot find the weight of the RB...how would this affect the handling via the weight distribution the z is noted for?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
i know that Signal Auto swapped an SR20DET engine which they claimed was lighter and smaller than the VQ allowing them to put it further back and lower in the engine bay. I have not seen solid weight number.

Depending on your goals, the VQ could be built along with the Greddy kit for less money than the engine swap you are looking to do.

Dont get me wrong, it would be a cool project to see, but in all honesty its going to cost more and the power benefits will be null. There are VQ engines putting down close to 650whp and those are basically undriveable at that power point.

Are you looking for a dyno queen? You start passing 600whp and you need to start replacing driveline components too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do it man... That is going to be the best car. RB26 is the best engine. Very hard to do it, but it will be fun. I am thinking to do the same thing....

·
Registered
5,719 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
never fail to understand why someone would want to swap out a perfectly good engine for a different one made for another car. i understand the whole "being different" thing but there is no reason at all to get rid of the VQ engine out of the Z. the money it will take to do this properly can be used to build the VQ up and have plenty left over.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I say buy the engine and tranny but swap it into a shitty old S13. That way you don't rip apart your Z, the swap will be tried and tested, and you will have a fun car to beat the **** out of!

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Or in an S30. At least that engine bay was designed for an I6.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts