Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what up owners..Just wondering if any of you guys know anything about putting a RB26DETT into the Z33 chassis..Also wondering how much a normal 04 VQ35 usually sells for if it has around 5k miles on it.. Thanks

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
It is extremely expensive to swap an RB26DETT into a Z. Upwards of $10K by the time the job is done. Then, you have to mod the RB. You're better off sticking with the stock motor, building it up and tuining it for less than $10K. This will get ya around 450whp max. However, if your shootin for 800whp mark, go with the RB.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, you'd need to get an RB26 longblock, Rb25 RWD tranny and oil pan to compensate for losing the front driveshafts. Once you get that mounted, you get to worry about wiring and gearing. I'm sure the wiring can be tackled very easily but you are going to probably lose dash instrumentation and will need some sort of heads up display (could possibly use profec e01 like the sr swapped guys do or go big and use Stack cluster). As far as the gearing goes- our tranny and rear end are set for 6spd are geared for a 3.6 final drive or so, while the rb25 is 5spd and geared for a 4.1 final drive or so. Since this is pretty huge you could do like Forsberg did and custom mount an skyline/silvia rear diff but the odds of finding a shop to do that or DIY isn't that likely. The other option I was considering was trying to run a 3.9 FD from 350evo and seeing if the rb26 will have enough torque, but after doing the math that puts gears topping out at much higher speeds and may not be do-able, but probably more so than with an SR swap. You might want to just wait and see if they come out with a 4.1 or higher final drive after the response to the 3.9 and increasing amount of NA VQ track go'ers looking for more gearing. That would ease the swap incredibly. I tried looking into the swapability of the Getrag 6 speeds since the the Supra runs the same Getrag box but I don't know if its adaptable to the RB26. Thats most the info I came up when thinking about doing the swap and then realizing with a car payment theres no way I would have the money to do so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts