Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Z makes a rattling noise when accelerating slowly on first gear, I also can hear the same noise when i turn the car off inside my garage, it feels like the heat sheild or exhaust hitting something, I also hear grinding noise that goes away when i press the clutch.. I was lookng at the TSB's there is one about "clicking noise from rear axle" i wonder if thats what I have. I feel that the grinding noise and the rattle are related. any suggestions...

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
do you have an aftermarket exhaust or have you removed the cats? i have some ratteling myself and i removed one heat shield.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I believe this a transmission issue. my 03 Z did this. I am not sure if there is a fix for this, but you could check our TSB section

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Mine does that too. Its especially pronounced in the garage because its much more echoed. I think its a very common thing in a lot of the 03's especially.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know exactely whats causing it now.. When I floor the clutch then release it suddenly I hear a small bang. now put that bang on repeat and this is the sound that I hear.. They ordered me two new tires they said they'll check the noise when they get them, I'm going tomorrow to install them with the aleignment.. I will not tak the famous "I don't hear anything" answer this time, I want them to fix the **** noise it's making the car sound like a freight train.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
After months of enjoying a problem free Z, I think I might actually have an issue similar to this one.

It started today, July 1st, and it's not good. My 'service engine light' came on this afternoon. At first I think it's no big deal, I'll read the manual. A couple of things were addressed in the manual which made sense. I filled up on gas today, and a loose gas cap can cause the light to come on. I checked that, and it was fine. I then turned the engine on to see if the light would go off. At this point, I am experiencing rough idling and a low thumping noise coming from the exhaust. I can also hear intermittent hissing from the engine bay.

So...it might be a loose vacuum tube. I don't find any. It might be the O2 sensors, but that would require Nissan to hook it up to the computer. I have no leaks, I don't have any mods installed yet (my pop charger is in the back of the car), and I haven't raced it. And then when I turned off the car, I get a rattling noise from the tranny area. Odd.

Now what? I guess I'm calling the dealership. Luckily, the service manager is into cars and is a good friend of a Z owner. I know him by name and vice versa. I will have to call him tomorrow and see what he has to say about it.

At this point, I was thinking that I would be free of all the issues some others have had. Besides getting the window grease problem fixed and the front tires rotated to the opposite side, the car runs smoothly with no rattles and always runs strong and quickly.

Any suggestions or pointers or advice? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts