Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had DC ceramic headers prof. installed about two weeks ago and I love the added power at mid 3000 rpm and up. Installation was $225 (hint bring donuts when you get your car worked on). They are cool because they are not too loud when I'm just cruising (mom can ride w/o being scared).
My problem is that there is a rattling sound coming from the back end of the car. It sounds like a knocking rattling sound. The sound is related to pressure on the gas pedal. I brought the car back to the shop and they took it for a ride and agreed with the phantom sound. They lifted the car and looked for loose fittings and couldn't find anything wrong with it. It sounds like the exhaust is banging against the car (guess).
Has anyone experienced this problem or have any thoughts that I can relay to my tuner shop?

G

·
Have your exhaust checked, a friend had headers installed and it made his exhaust rattle, that maybe whats rattling since it is realted to gas pedal pressure.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What involves checking the exhaust? My tuner had it up on the lift and everything seemed secure. I will bring my Z in for another look. Thanks Ninja.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have your exhaust checked, a friend had headers installed and it made his exhaust rattle, that maybe whats rattling since it is realted to gas pedal pressure.
This is usually the reason for instances like this. Basically any angle/position shift at the header section will just continue and increase as it goes further back. It sounds like you are getting a rattle due to the engine torquing/shift as you accel or decel (hense throttle pedal related)

·
Registered
85 Posts
When the car is on the lift have the mechanic pound on the pipes and mufflers with a large rubber mallet. This will often start the rattling sound and you can narrow down where it is coming from. I've done this on several cars to good effect. I hate rattley exhausts! :banghead:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
When the car is on the lift have the mechanic pound on the pipes and mufflers with a large rubber mallet. This will often start the rattling sound and you can narrow down where it is coming from. I've done this on several cars to good effect. I hate rattley exhausts! :banghead:

+1

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
When I first put on my Borla it had a slight rattle too, I just had to twist the pipe slightly so that the angle would allow sufficient room between the exhaust and the underbody of the car. Make sure that the pipes are not resting too close to the body of the car or it could rattle.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Ahh so you have the rattle after headers also LOL!
so do I. Dont be worried its just a vibration in the exhaust due to us tinkering with our cars.
I get the vibration in 5th and 6th smoe times 4th as i creep from 1900 rpm to just past 2000 rpm.
performance nissan sells a shim kit to solve this problem as i have read on the forums.
I will order some when i have time.
so don't freak out its just a vibration and shimming the exhaust will fix it.

I have the stock mufflr by the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts