Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a wealth of little rattles in the Z. It appears to be a common problem. It just so happens that this one is particularly annoying to me. It begins "buzzing" or resonating when I start the car, and is intermitent afterwards. I refuse to take it to the dealership, as the local service deptartment is less than competent. If anyone has I fix, I'll give it a shot and post a DIY with pics. If not, I'm going in as soon as my schedule allows and resolve this problem, one way or another.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starts vibrating as soon as I turn over the engine, or not, depending on it's mood for that day. If I apply pressure to the little vents, silence. It sounds like a wood-borer bumble bee caught in his hole after you spray him. More frequent during cooler weather, so I'm guessing the plastic insert is contracting, allowing for movement. My car goes back to the shop soon for fuel system upgrades and the guys there say they can fix it. Thanks for the TSB, nice to have them in one location. I'll post up when the problem is solv-ed.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If my Z looked as nice as that Brick of yours jinxxycat, I might not complain about a rattle either. But this one gets on my last nerve and it's going down if I (or someone else) have to remove the whole dash to find it. If you ever have a falling out with the Brick, shoot me a pm and I'll cut you a check. I am truly envious.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">Yes, we all
the BY. Too bad jinxxy got it by chance when the rest of us actually wanted one

And after dealing with one Z with a sh!tty-matic, I wouldn't do it with another</span>

·
Registered
173 Posts
Kshep,

I have the dash rattle also. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce. Go figure. Anyhow, I have determined it's the same problem you are having.

It's that vent insert to the left most part of the dash. When it is cold it rattles at start up. After a few minutes it goes away. As you say, when I apply a small amount of pressure to the insert the rattle stops.

If the isert can be easily removed I'm sure somekind of thin spongy bushing or spongy double sided tape will fix it. I jsut haven't gotten around to fixing it but I wll this winter. It gives me an excuse to sit in the car while its in the garage! Ahhhh, Ohio weather!

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both the drivers side and passenger side vents were vibrating in mine...usually during colder weather...

My shop (not the dealership) finally fixed both of them...the passenger side was more pesky for some reason. I have no clue what they did...but will find out if it would be helpful.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Originally posted by KShep@Nov 10 2004, 06:47 AM
Both the drivers side and passenger side vents were vibrating in mine...usually during colder weather...

My shop (not the dealership) finally fixed both of them...the passenger side was more pesky for some reason.  I have no clue what they did...but will find out if it would be helpful.

Yeah, it happens only when its cold on mine also. That's why I'm b!tch!n' about it now.

Any info you can provide would be helpful but don't make a big deal over it. I'll figure it out one way or another.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I had the same rattle, took it to the dealer x 3. on the 3rd time they used some insulation under the vent/pillar area similar to what is above the stick shift. have not had an issue since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts