Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read th thread on rasp but the was not one with just a y pipe and stock headers and cats? will the rasp with upgraded y pipe and the rest stock??? thanx.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what size is the stock exhaust after the y pipe and they say 2.5 inch inlet to a 3 in out let is 3inch the size of the pipe or flange? cause i have not seen 2.5 to 2.5 y pipes.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
what size is the stock exhaust after the y pipe and they say 2.5 inch inlet to a 3 in out let is 3inch the size of the pipe or flange? cause i have not seen 2.5 to 2.5 y pipes.
That is pipe diameter. I thin most of the aftermarket Y-Pipes are designed to work with an aftermarket y-back exhaust system.

why do you need 2.5 in? HKS has the smallers exit diam

# Diameter in: 60mm (2.36")
# Diameter out: 62mm (2.44")

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
well first and foremost, plan for the future. If you thin you will get a different exhaust later, then get a y-pipe that will be good then

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think if theres one mod that people complain most about causing rasp, its test pipes, especially poorly resonated ones. Stick with well-resonated test pipes or high-flow cats, and you should be ok.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I think if theres one mod that people complain most about causing rasp, its test pipes, especially poorly resonated ones. Stick with well-resonated test pipes or high-flow cats, and you should be ok.
Resonated test pipes will not always stop the rasp. It is the overall combination of exhaust components. As soon as i installed an aftermarket y-pipe the rasp was very bad. Took it off and it went away. (this is with kinetix resonated test pipes) Rasp was not there with borla either.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Toykilla is right.

I had a Gruppe-S Y-pipe with my Helix test pipes on a stock exhaust and it sounded TERRIBLE!

The midpipe entrance is 2.5" and most Y-pipes have 3" outlets. Japtrix, one of our site sponsors, sells midpipes that will convert it though. The midpipe has a 3" inlet and a 2.5" outlet into the muffler. :thumbsup: Contact Westpak if you're looking for one of these.

·
Registered
728 Posts
if you go with stock exhaust all the way back with unresonated test pipes I think 99% of the people out there will like the sound. Now, if you switch out the y-pipe for an aftermarket one, keeping the mid pipe back stock, the rasp will be unbearable, even if you choose resonated test pipes. complete aftermarket exhausts will be hit or miss in terms of rasp with test pipes.

All that said, even if you get resonated test pipes, the resonators are small. this puts the majority of the burden of controlling the exhaust note onto the catback.

I personally have experienced two separate cars with complete stock exhaust run helix unresonated test pipes (smoothZ and sw150's cars) and both sound great. On the other hand, I experienced another locals car (not on this forum) that had resonated test pipes paired with an aftermarket y-pipe and the sound was terrible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea i think im gonna stay away from changong the y pipe i was just locking for something to give it a little more kick. The car came with an air intake on it so just wanted to add a small part. dont wanna put full exhaust on. Fiance will kill me. thank you guys for all the help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok just spoke to gus at japtrix and he told me to just change y-pipe and midpipe and the car would be ok no rasp and not loud just a bit deeper only if a romp on it. so that will work. ps do any of you have personal experiance with this set up. I will probally get it from them. thanx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not to jack your thread but has anyone tried 2.25 inch resonated test pipes with the Kinetix 2.25 -2.5 inch y-pipe? If the theory on piping diameter and rasp is correct then this should minimize whatever effect that has. I'm assuming of course that the inlet of the stock midpipe is 2.5 inch. Is that correct?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not to jack your thread but has anyone tried 2.25 inch resonated test pipes with the Kinetix 2.25 -2.5 inch y-pipe? If the theory on piping diameter and rasp is correct then this should minimize whatever effect that has. I'm assuming of course that the inlet of the stock midpipe is 2.5 inch. Is that correct?

I wouldn't put ANYTHING kinetix on my car. After seeing their products first hand, they are junk.

You want to keep rasp away, stay away from aftermarket Y-pipes.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have the SSV and it is not Junk..

we can go round and round with this. Show me legitmate dynos of gains worthy enough for the $800+ price tag. Or at least show me good info on the R&D that kinetix did to come up with it's design. #'s talk.

KINETEX IS GARBAGE :lmfao:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts