Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm serious about doing this.

i remember back in my civic and integra days we would use the stock intake box, drop in k&n with a plastic flex hose that grabs fresh air from the front of the car and feeds it to the box. this worked better that a cold air intake.

I'm really thinking it will work great on the z, since this car in particular has minimal gains on an intake anyway.

or does someone have a better idea.

you couldnt properly dyno it unless you could simulate the air being fed to it.

just like in my civic, the faster you go the more power you get out of it.

ive looked at the design and there is room for it.

although this would only work in a NA setup. this and the plenum upgrade are really starting to make sense.

quick question for anybody who knows.

how restrictie are the headers and the y pipe?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Headers are very restrictive.. same with y pipe.
Let alone really heavy. Aftermarket you can save an easy 30lb here.

the K&N typhoon setup for the Z.. is exactly what you are talking about.. Except k&n has there own air box rather than using the OEM like you stated.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks ills

that was NOT on there website a month ago.

i like this set up.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
The best option for ram air is using an airduct.. Currently Mines, Varis, and I think Central 20 offer these.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any links? Please!

Thank You

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there one that does not require the cutting of the front bumper. perhaps something like the typhoon setup but using the factory air box.

otherwise i'm going to try to make my own

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.au-z.org/gallery/my350z_20041221_cai

I finally found a link with someone who did this setup on there car.

onlything is that they used a pop charger.

im not sure how durable it is i might want some better tubing but the guy says it works great.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
http://www.au-z.org/gallery/my350z_20041221_cai
I finally found a link with someone who did this setup on there car.

onlything is that they used a pop charger.

im not sure how durable it is i might want some better tubing but the guy says it works great.
That's mine.

A multitude of track days in high temperatures later (we're talking 95 degress Farenheit ambient, plus whatever my engine is doing), and that $2 worth of air con pipe and zip ties still hasn't melted.

It occasionally smelled a bit funny for the first week or two after I installed it, even without hammering the car, but it hasn't had any issues in the last 1.5 years since.

If you want something slightly less ghetto try this:

http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mv...ory_Code=PFFC22

I've been considering buying it, but with my home-made ram air intake not making a noticable performance difference I wasn't going to spend that kind of money buying something else that did nothing.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was actually thinking about that! and with the design of the stock box there is a lip to trap water so in the rain it should not ingest water!

or am i wrong

1 - 13 of 13 Posts