Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a couple of posts regarding how our tyres performs in the wet but had never had any problems. (Mainly due to the fact that it never rains here :lol: )

However yesterday taking a right 90 degree turn I was somewhat amazed to feel my backend kick out without warning. Then for the next 10 seconds I had the fun of fighting the bloody computer for control. The funny things was there was a car in the next lane also turning. I just remember seeing the fright in his eyes as my car started sliding. He then stayed a good 50 meters back for the rest of the journey.....

In short be careful in the wet because our oem tyres really do suck in the wet.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

I hear that same statement from people no matter what the car (and hence tyres). What I'd take from it is that all tyres in the wet 'suck' ... in particular if it has not rained for a while and all the grease it just brought up to the surface.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had that problem yet, like you say it hardly rains in Sydney!!!! Have had fun doing a couple of rear flicks in the dry with the traction off but probably won't attempt in the wet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I never have any problem in the wet yet. But the tyre slice easily in the undercover carpark where have the protected paint coat. Just keep your traction control or VDC on in the wet and turn it off when dry and you will be fine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Same here, VDC on in wet saves the day.

I've lost the rear once in the wet with VDC and front strut bar off. It was more my fault for taking the corner at my "normal" speed.

It was easy to recover and looked like I meant it... the 350z is just so sure footed at low speeds...(anything under 80ks)!

·
Registered
188 Posts
The TC is DEFINATELY not foolproof in the wet. Take the word of a fool who found out the scary way.

It does help - a lot - but don't trust your life or your car on it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Originally posted by Jagz@Nov 25 2004, 08:44 PM
I've read a couple of posts regarding how our tyres performs in the wet but had never had any problems. (Mainly due to the fact that it never rains here  :lol: )

However yesterday taking a right 90 degree turn I was somewhat amazed to feel my backend kick out without warning. Then for the next 10 seconds I had the fun of fighting the bloody computer for control. The funny things was there was a car in the next lane also turning. I just remember seeing the fright in his eyes as my car started sliding. He then stayed a good 50 meters back for the rest of the journey.....

Perth roads are fairly slippery, especially after a little bit of rain - But also, isn't that part of the fun of the real wheel drive!!! Much better than ploughing the nose straight ahead at a corner LOL

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
My TCS stays permanently off. I can't stand it.

It doesn't help that I'm running 245/45 R17's all round at the moment, which with high acceleration at high speeds causes the TCS to kick in.

I also find it foolish to "rely" on a system that is so limited. If your tyres aquaplane, rather than break traction under power, your TCS won't kick in (since it only detects speed differential).

I once turned a corner in the wet on an ultra-smooth piece of blacktop. The tail flicked out under load, and the TCS didn't notice as my rear wheels were still spinning at an appropriate speed. I countersteered and held the slide, and when the car's tail was pulling back into line the TCS finally detected my loss of traction and cut in, upsetting the car's balance and causing the tail to slide out again (as I'm unwinding the countersteer).

Since then, I always turn it off. It always interferes when I have things well in hand.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the TCS in the Touring model grabs the brakes as well as cutting power?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Scathing,
As far as I know TCS only operates on the rear wheels and cuts the engine power to overcome the wheel slip. VDC on track models cuts engine power but also can apply a braking force to one or all brakes including the front (will also downshift auto transmission if equiped) to counteract over or understeer.
Hope I have explained it correctly.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Speaking of which, does anyone know if the TCS in the Touring model grabs the brakes as well as cutting power

As far as I know the LSD in the 350Z is such that it grabs individual brakes at the rear ... so I'd pressume that all local 350Zs will automaticaly grab one of the rear brakes under too much power.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
From my reading, the LSD in the 350Z is a viscous LSD, and as such an actual "true" limited slip differential, rather than the virtual ones that are out there (which is just an open diff with the ABS sensors grabbing the wheelspinning wheel).

I am quite tempted to swap out the viscous item on my car with a Cusco 1.5 way LSD at the moment.......

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by mickyboy@Nov 27 2004, 02:49 AM
(will also downshift auto transmission if equiped)

In the US, VDC is only available on models with manual transmissions. Is this not the case there?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I always have VDC on when the weather is bad, especially when I'm on the freeways.

BTW, it's snowing here in Minnesota right now. Ugh...I'm not going to test OEM tires and VDC with that.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
It'll probably have a heart attack.

I've driven my Touring with OEM tyres and no chains on the snow. With TCS on, the car just wouldn't move. With TCS off......the car just wouldn't move.

Took me a while to learn how to drive in the snow, but necessity (and unrelenting fear) is the mother of education.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
From my reading, the LSD in the 350Z is a viscous LSD, and as such an actual "true" limited slip differential, rather than the virtual ones that are out there (which is just an open diff with the ABS sensors grabbing the wheelspinning wheel).

You could very well be right ... I thought I read a while a ago that it is the kind of LSD that applies the ABS in the rear ... but I've never looked into it properly.

Also to me it feels like an LSD that uses the brakes as that is what I feel when in a middle of a power slide. Though, that could be the VDC rearing its ugly head again.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I've felt the LSD effect, under power, in my car.

On one of my favourite mountain roads, when I nail the throttle early after balancing the car on the throttle on turn-in, the car will widen its line slightly and require a little more steering to continue along.

There was no slowing down or unexpected weight transfer, which would indicate brakes being grabbed. Nor is there any tyre squeal or that indescribable sensation (loss of steering feedback perhaps?) that comes when the front lacks grip.

Speaking of which, I just discovered how much grippier my RS-V04's are. I went for a bit of a run last night, and I powered over a crest to find a sweeper I forgot the nature of. I hit the brakes hard and steered it in, expecting the car to break away at the front or back (even money on which would go first, since I was hard braking and turning while downhill).

Instead of having the "moment" that the RE040's would have given me, the car turned in without protest. No squeal. Nothing unloading and going vague. Just pure steering, like I planned to do it and set up for the bend.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I find the stock potenzas really grippy in the wet, it sometimes takes a very heavy right foot (even with VDC off) to get the car sideways, even in the wet... depends on the type of bitumen a lot though..
But i must say this car has an awesome chassis and balance for long 2nd or 3rd gear powerslides round long corners *cough* on closed course conditions of course !!

but then again i am comparing this to my 03 4.8lt Patrol which was ridiculously easy to get sliding at any speed just about..
a hard flat change into 4th gear in the wet would get it sideways at 80-90kph everytime... although it seemed like slow motion thanks to the 2 tonne kerb weight haha

·
Registered
74 Posts
As soon as i get my Z in next weak or so, im changing the F**** tyres, Ill be getting set od Misheline Pilots, or Firelis P0. Ive also heard that some dealers are fittng michelins when Z owners start come with "feathering" issue. With regular wheel aligments and balance apparently the Pilots dont feather.

I F*** hate bridgestone.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Originally posted by DJ777@Dec 9 2004, 11:37 PM
As soon as i get my Z in next weak or so, im changing the F**** tyres, Ill be getting set od Misheline Pilots, or Firelis P0.  Ive also heard that some dealers are fittng michelins when Z owners start come with "feathering" issue. With regular wheel aligments and balance apparently the Pilots dont feather.

I F*** hate bridgestone.

Hey DJ777,

Where are you? Are you gettin a new Z.

'Cause I F***** don't mind the Bridgestones if you want to get rid of 'em. I am in need of a set asap.

LK

1 - 20 of 22 Posts