Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there has been some discussion floating around on whether some aftermarket radiators actually improve cooling. Koyo is the most affordable radiator, but does it perform? There is also Power Enterprise, Stillen, Fluidyne, Blitz, Central 20, ARC.

So how do we know which ones ahve the best cooling per dollar?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
gotcha.. that makes a bit of sense :)

do you have a water temp gauge? IMHO, I'd start there. Just to see what you are getting up to. I bought the Blitz R-VIT, which is cool, b/c of the quick installation and reading oem sensors.

FWIW, I know i'm not referring to a Z... but I ran oem radiators to 350hp+ on different turbo apps before. 1.2-1.5 bar worth of boost.

Having said that, i'm not sure how bad the Z's oem rad is.. it may be just fine.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are some overheating problems with the VQ at high horsepower. The exact cause has not been determined, but there is alot of theories floating about and better cooling couldnt hurt anything.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I can PM you what is the speculation for these cooling issues (as told to me by a few very good tuners) if you want.

As far as the radiators. I can put it this way, most of the radiators that come out of Japan (something like 80%?) are made by Koyo and rebranded...if that tells you which one performs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
have the central 20 unit, which is a cross flow and doudle the thickness versus the stock unit.. i'm still NA but the radiator has helped.. before was seeing max temps in the high 90Cs.. now have about a 10C drop in max temps.. i did have oveheating issues with the stock setup when i did some track days on a short tracks.. lack of high speed opportunities was the reason.. don't really think the cross flow nature of the central 20 adds significant cooling value, but it can't hurt.. i'm sure any other aftermarket radiator that increases the thickness helps cooling

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by TOYKILLA@Jun 22 2005, 11:20 AM

this is concerning my forced induction path. 
[snapback]119312[/snapback]​

That is why I have been giving serious thought to Air to Water ic's. I understand the issues with heat soak etc.. but I just really don't like the idea of blocking of radiator with an IC. 350zTT I would love to hear the thoughts of these tuners about cooling issues if you are willing to share it via pm. I have heard alot of speculation but most it seems more anal than effective.

Code Red, If you are not fairly heavily modified you do not have anything to worry about. Contrary to popular belief and, some evidence, Nissan actually did perform some design and testing on these cars.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT@Jun 23 2005, 02:12 AM
I can PM you what is the speculation for these cooling issues (as told to me by a few very good tuners) if you want.

As far as the radiators. I can put it this way, most of the radiators that come out of Japan (something like 80%?) are made by Koyo and rebranded...if that tells you which one performs.
[snapback]119656[/snapback]​

I'm not sure about those percentages.. but... Sure as Shiit, the ARC is not made by Koyo.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by fillup+Jun 25 2005, 09:48 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TOYKILLA
@Jun 22 2005, 11:20 AM

this is concerning my forced induction path. 
[snapback]119312[/snapback]​

That is why I have been giving serious thought to Air to Water ic's. I understand the issues with heat soak etc.. but I just really don't like the idea of blocking of radiator with an IC.

You would then be blocking the radiator with a good sized heat exchanger.

I have used (as well as own) many wta ic.

Keep in mind you are not able to achieve less than ambient temps (charge temps).

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by illz33+Jun 25 2005, 10:46 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT
@Jun 23 2005, 02:12 AM

[snapback]119656[/snapback]​

I'm not sure about those percentages.. but... Sure as Shiit, the ARC is not made by Koyo.
[snapback]121867[/snapback]​

I was told this by [email protected] Maybe he said 60% or more? Not sure. I know he said that most of them that come out of Japan are produced by Koyo, regardless of the name.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT@Jun 25 2005, 12:09 PM
I was told this by [email protected] Maybe he said 60% or more? Not sure. I know he said that most of them that come out of Japan are produced by Koyo, regardless of the name.
[snapback]121886[/snapback]​

It is true that most OEM radiators come from KOYO.

Aftermarket, I'm sure is possible.. but any of these brands that are Top Japan quality would not be rebadged Koyo.

But hey, I am not 100% sure either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A bigger radiator will 99% of the time reduce engine temps. A larger radiator withstands heat soak better, has the ability to hold more coolant, and the endtanks are usually not made out of plastic like most OEM radiators. Sometimes they weigh less as well. One thing to keep in mind is that if your car is automagic then the aftermarket radiator will probably not have the provisions to run the auto tranny fluid through to cool it. You'll have to get an aux cooler for the auto tranny.

sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts