Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people!! I'm interested in collecting racing tips. Do any of you happen to know a site or somebody in the forum that can reply with some racing tips (i.e. clutching, steering, etc.) This would be for both drag racing and autocross. I want to start racing autocross and drag after this winter. By the way, I know that practice makes perfection so please do not reply saying to practice. I'll appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
take a sport driving class. makes you rethink anything you thought you knew about racing

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
too expensive. this topic is for informative replies. Classes here cost way too much, but thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Originally posted by juanjo_z@Sep 16 2004, 03:59 PM
too expensive.  this topic is for informative replies.  Classes here cost way too much, but thanks anyway.

no problem. we do have a forum about this here

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Definitely check out the forum Steve mentioned. It's still pretty new, so there's not a whole lot there, but there's definitely some good information to get you started. You may also want to look into your local SCCA. They offer free courses all the time

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hey that forum was my idea! And I didn't even know it existed! A member here (John) is actually an instructor if I'm not mistaken... he can help you out I'm sure.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by cedusett@Sep 17 2004, 01:27 PM
Hey that forum was my idea! And I didn't even know it existed! A member here (John) is actually an instructor if I'm not mistaken... he can help you out I'm sure.

Who, me?

I don't drag race, nor do I autox. Rather I flog my car at the track (road course), otherwise known as road racing. I could spend some time giving you tips, but I'm simply strapped for time at work today.

If you decide to go the track, you will need to enroll in a HPDE (High Performance Driving Education). Cost varies, but you can normally get a weekend with an instructor, which is usually around 3 hours track time for about $300. It is by far the best money you can spend, as you are investing it in the driver, not the car. It is the best "mod" you can spend money on. There are other "racing" schools, like Skip Barber, which can benefit your driving skills, but at $2000-3000, you'd get much more out of doing HPDEs (although there is the wear and tear on your car you have to consider in an HPDE). "Racing" schools are better for a driver who already has some experience.

As for AutoX, I can provide you with a little insight. There is something called the Evo school, which has various levels that you can enroll in. I don't know the cost however. From what I've heard, Phase 1 really focuses on driving faster, so it helps to have some of the basic techniques down. Tirerack actually has a great writeup on the basics of Solo2: http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

But the one piece of advice that is applicable to any form of motorsport is look ahead. You will go where you are looking, so look through the turn, not right in front of you. No matter how much experience you have, this is the one fundamental that everybody needs to be reminded of frequently.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
All I have to say is that I am horribly dissapointed. Tomorrow was to be my first day on a road course (John!) but the track just called and cancelled it's open lapping day b/c we are now getting pounded by Ivan....I think I will be sailing lucy home tonight... This was not a race, but open lapping. the owner of the track is friends w/ my mom in law, and he was going to be my instructor for the day. Maybe something like that set up JuanJo would be good. No pressure to race and beat someone else, on the track by yourself, and instructor was required for me b/c its my first time on the track (no extra charge). I had a gift cert for a free day but usually it's $150 for open lapping. Just pizzed off big time b/c I don't get to go....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear it got cancelled. Are there any more open-lapping days this year? As for having an instructor, there's much to be learned for your first dozen track weekends. ****, even I have friends (other instructors) ride along with me from time to time, as there's always something to be learned. Even at tracks I frequent, we still talk about trying new lines, different shift points, using the curbing / grass / rocks as part of the track, etc.

I'm going to be instructing this weekend at Summit Lake, I mean Summit Point. I expect there to be many streams running across the track tomorrow, and a large pond in the in-field and at the outside of T10. As much as the wet can be frightening on track, it is by far one of the best learning environments for car control. Less traction will result in lower speeds where you have to be very smooth with your inputs.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Yeah very dissappointed. The next and only one I can go to is next friday and my boss will probably not let me off for it. We are taking off the following wed for vegas....oh well, there is always next year....I was just so pumped. I had the oil changed, checked the torque on the suspension bolts, air in tires, all misc. loose items out of Z, checked the exhaust for any leaks (still none, I must be a good installer!) cleaned my air filter and reoiled it....I was all set. Oh well. I am glad that they cancelled in a way b/c I didn't want my first experience to be on a wet track.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts