Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up to race the 350Z on a road course track and plan to do this as much as possible. I'm 6' 2" and I barely fit in the Z right now. I probably have 1/2" of head clearance. The rules require that I wear a helmet and when I put my helmet on I have major interference with the roof. Does anyone know if the aftermarket racing seats provide extra head room? I'm looking to lower the stock seat 2" best case and 1" worse case so I fit with a helmet on.

Any suggestions on aftermarket race seats? Thanks for the help. Any photo's?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
That is a good question. While I can't recommend a seat for you that I know will lower your seat height. I would consider calling up a few places to check out what they have and see if there is a way for them to measure how high the base of the seat is from the mounting rails. There are a few companies such as sparco, status racing and bride. I don't have the websites, but they should be easy to search for. Maybe as a last resort you can remove the ceiling piece to get extra clearance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do this all this time to cars, I had a 65 mustang that I chopped the floor pans out and re-welded custom track/mounts,,, how ever I woulndt sugest welding or cuting into a 350z because of all the smoke welding produces,, you would literally have to strip the entire interior of your car just to start cutting or welding.......

I better metod is to remove the seats and mount and start chopping and re-welding when its all out of the car. I have noticed something that I do not like at all about the car and that is the inside rail mounts are station 3-4 inches higher then the outside mounts, this limits how low you can drop the seats. But this shoulnt stop me, I just got my car and Im not tall but i like to ride low so Im going to take my seats out this weekend and review the best method and cut locations to take. I also noticed one more thing that might get in the way and its the plastic holding receptical thats sits on the side of the drivers seat facing the door, it would have to be removed or cut... also attached it a pic of my 65 mustang i did, i am sitting up right in the car and my ass is literlay 3 inches from the floor board,

Attachments

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Whoever comes up with a racing seat that gives any head, will be quite wealthy. :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Whoever comes up with a racing seat that gives any head, will be quite wealthy. :lol:

i looked at the seats this morning and i can see chopping off 1.5 - 2 inches being a realistic expectation. However with that being said there is a cosmetic factor involved where you would have to remove the plastic assembly on the side. I dont know what it would like like with out that, im sure all you would see are the track rails. Im not impressed at all with the Nissan seats, the rails are really flimsy. I imagine Rally style seats would be better suited for you guys,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts