Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raced a late model(prob around 2000) Camaro SS earlier tonight on I-10. I was coming home from my girlfirends parents house tonight and was going around 85 or so and came up on the SS. I went around him and he tailed me a bit and then came around fast. As he came around the side of me fairly quick I sped up a bit to see if he wanted to play. We went to around 100 or so and then went back to 80. When we got side by side again we both got on it at the same time. Wound up going from 80 to around 130 and surprisingly pulled almost a car length on him. I always thought that they could take us from up top. I was happy about it.

On a side note my g/f said she saw a car that she had never seen before so I asked what it was. She was like I think it said Lotus. I was like oh cool did it say anything else. She was like yeah it said Elise on it too. Man I wish I could have seen it. I guess the guy lives around here.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Originally posted by Dave079@Jan 16 2005, 09:23 PM
On a side note my g/f said she saw a car that she had never seen before so I asked what it was. She was like I think it said Lotus. I was like oh cool did it say anything else. She was like yeah it said Elise on it too. Man I wish I could have seen it. I guess the guy lives around here.

Nice kill! So weird, I spent the last week in Daytona FL, driving my friend's 97 camaro SS, and wondering how my Z would do against it! Even weirder, on the way to the beach, I see waiting at a stoplight an orange Lotus Elise.

Coincidence? I think not.. lol

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe well now you know the answer to that one.

The Elise she saw was silver.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Man ur z`s pretty fast i raced a camaro ss when i was still stock and he pulled on me by about 2 - 3 cars but then i raced him again at a complete stop and i beat him cause he just stayed in the same spot burning rubber haha, **** street radials!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nice kill!
:50cal:
BTW did it say SS or Z28? The SS's are all LS1s, and though anything can happen on the streets, its VERY hard to beat an LS1 in a straight line. A Z28 can be an LT1, in which case we, IMO, are VERY good competition in a straight line, and can dominate them in the cruves, and would still be a very nice kill.

Also, I saw a Lotus Elise on the road the other day.. in traffic... not sure why he was in traffic... seeing as anyone who would buy an Elise surely would have it as a weekend car (it has NO luggage space, even compared to the Z). The guy must havce been so frustrated since it was such bad traffic. Also, the car was a friggin go-kart... a VW bug would CRUSH it.

But it looked like so much fun.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by Zboy@Jan 17 2005, 08:27 AM
Nice kill! 
:50cal:
BTW did it say SS or Z28?  The SS's are all LS1s, and though anything can happen on the streets, its VERY hard to beat an LS1 in a straight line.  A Z28 can be an LT1, in which case we, IMO, are VERY good competition in a straight line, and can dominate them in the cruves, and would still be a very nice kill.

Also, I saw a Lotus Elise on the road the other day.. in traffic... not sure why he was in traffic... seeing as anyone who would buy an Elise surely would have it as a weekend car (it has NO luggage space, even compared to the Z).  The guy must havce been so frustrated since it was such bad traffic.  Also, the car was a friggin go-kart... a VW bug would CRUSH it.

But it looked like so much fun.

before 98 the ss's were lt1s as well. they started putting ls1's in camaros after 97. oh and dont let this mislead you guys, lt1s stock for stock are about as fast as we are. ls1s run mid 13s stock. some people just dont know how to drive. :) dave and I's friend has a 2000 z28 with a full 3" catback and gutted cats and he runs 13.5s at 106ish. and he cant drive for **** :) theya re fast cars dont doubt them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ahh, I thought SS's only came in LS1s... learn something new all the time.

Also my understanding is LT1s are fair game unless modified, it seems pretty easy to open up an LT1 to some pretty serious power. But again the Fbody cant corner like we can. I also thought stock LS1s ran low 13s stock.. nice to see we have a chance.

I ran with some modified LS1s (WS6s and C5s) and they were running in the mid to high 12s... that sort of made me realize I never stood a chance.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Conceyted@Jan 17 2005, 04:21 PM
yea when an intake gives 15 hp to the wheels and an exhaust opens up nearly 50 hp to the wheels its kind of hard to compete without serious money...

Still they have got to be the ugliest **** cars on the road.

You can put a rocket engine on a dump truck and it will still be fast but it will still be a dump truck.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by Dave079+Jan 17 2005, 04:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Conceyted
@Jan 17 2005, 04:21 PM
yea when an intake gives 15 hp to the wheels and an exhaust opens up nearly 50 hp to the wheels its kind of hard to compete without serious money...

Still they have got to be the ugliest **** cars on the road.

You can put a rocket engine on a dump truck and it will still be fast but it will still be a dump truck.

the thing is... they come stock with that engine and thats why they are so crazy. cheap power and cheap car. sure its still a camaro but they arent anything to put down. they would put you in your placein a heartbeat. i dont like how they look either but i give credit where credit is due. lets face it the 350z will never be a drag car like the camaro is. if you want to compete you have to take them to the twists and turns

·
Registered
785 Posts
hey this is cory, their friend with a z28 :)

looks like were due for a race, dave :)

EDIT:
Mods: Pro 5.0 Shifter, MTI Clear Lid, SPEC stage III clutch, Billet Steel flywheel, Moser Hardened Axles, !CAGS, !Cats, Flowmaster Muffler, NGK TR55 Spark Plugs, Hawk Performance Brake Pads, y2k wheels w/ Nitto555, TQP Electric Cut-out

only really "make fast" mods are.. the shifter, lid, gutted cats, and cutout... the spark plugs arn't in the car yet....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know I have to bust your chops Cory. I have no problems with a race whether win or lose. You need to fix your tanny first though instead of getting headers. Those shiny new headers wont do much without a properly working tranny.

·
Registered
785 Posts
heh, honestly, reason im NOT fixing tranny first is bc... if tranny messed up... cant race... i havnt raced in 2-3 months bc of it.... im still good for 80-130 :) i just cant power shift 2nd to 3rd.... 80mph in 3rd gear,, just around 4k rpms :) perfect :)

cory;just fun racing... no beef :)

edit: i cant join site... i tried to.. wont let me... and not sending me a conf email said to activate or anything... tried with 2 dif names...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats weird. Try posting this under Tech Support section under Chris's screenname

·
Registered
543 Posts
Are you running drags?

Buddy of mine with not too many more mods than you in a WS6 is running 12.6s with Drags...

Of course, apparantly the Z can run 13.0s with very light mods and drags too...

tractions a bitch it seems.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Stock to stock LS-1 beats VQ35 in HP/TQ....reliability, well, that's another question...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts