Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of the old-time members here knew Bill Buffington - Buff joined Tech in August of 2004 and was a frequent poster on many of the forums, not just here. Bill lost his battle with cancer last night and I just thought it appropriate to start a thread in his memory.
I met Bill through this place right after joining in September of 2004. He lived in Akron, just about 2 hours up the road from me, and he immediately invited me to come up for a cruise through NE Ohio along with about 8 other 350 owners from around there. Bill used to arrange at least one of those cruises per year; I think it was either the first or second one when I met Terri, and also SluggoZ who posts up here on occasion. In 2005 he talked me into following him and his wife Cathey down to ZDayZ; Bill was part of the organizing committee back then. He introduced me to a whole group of folks who remain among my closest friends to this day; as well, he started me on my string of 5 consecutive ZDayZ and is the one responsible for the huge turnout/support of my local club, ZROC, at ZDayZ. I also spent more than a few hours in Bill/Cathey's garage/driveway, installing mods on both my own car and others and Bill was a wealth of both knowledge and connections to others with even more knowledge, as well as enthusiasm. Not only that, there was usually a pretty **** good dinner in the evening as Bill was a pretty good chef too.
Bill had more than his share of medical problems as long as I knew him, but many were not really aware of that since he never complained about it. He had a dry sense of humor that sometimes bordered on sarcasm, something that I will miss a lot. He could take it as well as dish it out, and we had an awful lot of great times together. I saw him and Cathey, and met his parents and grandparents several weeks back, and I could tell they all knew time was short, but their spirit was absolutely unbelievable, and it was a great visit.
The entire Z Community has lost a really great guy but his spirit will live on. Please keep Cathey and the rest of his family in your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Thanks for starting the thread, Steve.

I also met Bill on this site when I joined and found the post ***** thread. Right away, I liked his sense of humor. I remember being strong-armed into going to Zdayz by him and several other members on this board....not that it took much to twist my rubber arm for that trip.

I finally got to meet him and his wife along with tons of other good people when I went down to the Tail. He was definitely a good guy to know, and I remember asking him for a lot of advice about owning my own business. He was very patient with all my questions. He was also fun to hang out with at FVR. Although he didn't drink, he could still party with the rest of us and kept me amused with his humor in the late night hours.

I'm sad that I didn't get to see him the last couple of years, but I know he was a fighter to the end.

RIP Bill.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
If it weren't for Bill, it would have probably taken me a while to actually meet some of the wonderful Z people in person. He was a great person, and he and Cathey were always a lot of fun to be around. He will be missed by the OG Z people. He touched many lives while in this world. Rest in Peace Bill.

Here are some pics of Bill and Cath, and some other hooligans as well....

Cath doing a little ZR celebration

Just makin sure Doug Stewart knew what he was doing :lol:

The Bills....

RIP Bill, the Great Big Dragon in the Sky awaits you! :) :cheers:

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Ahhh the memories of crazy Bill!! I recall him wanting to paint his Z roadster Brickyard so that there would be a Bricky roadie! lol
We all flipped cause it was going to cost over 8k but Bill was bound to have the "only" Brickyard roadie.

Bill, RIP my friend. All of your pain is gone now.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill was always pretty good at getting others to do the dirty work - in this case his wife Cathey, and our girl Terri:

Mid Ohio Vintage Grand Prix show, probably 2006 although can't say for sure - Terri probably remembers.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
QUOTE (PerfZ @ Oct 28 2009, 06:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=585679
Bill was always pretty good at getting others to do the dirty work - in this case his wife Cathey, and our girl Terri:

Mid Ohio Vintage Grand Prix show, probably 2006 although can't say for sure - Terri probably remembers.
HAHA yep he WAS good at getting others to do the dirty work! LMAO! And yep that had to be 06. I was looking for that picture........guess it wasn't on my computer cause it was on yours!!!!! LOL!!!!

EDIT...............that picture says 3/28/05.............pretty sure that is incorrect tho b/c the Grand Prix is most certainly in the summer lol.....but I found this following pic and it must have been 05 b/c Bill brought me the ZDAYZ hat b/c I didn't get to go that year...can't quite make out the date on the SportZ....

And OMG yes that idea of his to paint the Roadie BY! We all almost keeled over at that $8K! LOL!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Cath is one, cool cat. :lol: Her and Bill were made for each other. I met both of them in person in 2005. Then I went again in 2006 to Zdayz.

Found one pic of the woman who put up with Bill's antics.

I know I have a ton more pics, but I never uploaded them. Time to change that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bill was a great friend of ZDayZ, and the Z community as a whole. My thoughts and prayers are with Cathey and the rest of his family.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
RIP Buff. :(

I know I have some photos somewhere, I'll see if I can find them...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I never met Bill but as a faithful PW, we shared many aspects of lifes tribulations. What I do remember is a kind soul, full of spirit that never gave up no matter how bleak he felt. Without doubt someone we could all take a lesson from when we are down!

Fair Winds and Following Seas Buff!

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
I met Bill and many other wonderful people when I joined tech in August of 2006. When I got to Zdayz07 I got to meet Buff and Cathy in person. Buff had a great sense of humor and he and Cathy were a pleasure to meet. From the short time I knew him I would have to say that the world is a lesser place without him in it. I am glad he is no longer suffering, but he will be missed by anyone who had the opportunity to meet him. I found a picture from Zdayz07 when we all had dinner together....R.I.P Buff , you will be missed.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
The first time I met Bill was at a Fall event. He hopped in my truck as I tried to chase down Doug Stewart. We hit it off instantly.

Bill was an avid Z fan and a very compasionate person. Bill is one of the reasons that when I got out of my Lightning I got into a Z, he was the example that many of should attempt to be and always think of the community first.

Bill was part of the staff of ZdayZ in 2006 and 2007, he and Cath worked very hard to help the event and the community and his hole will never be replaced.

Bill I will miss you forever.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Man this sucks :( I had no idea this happened. I had never met Bill in person, but I had spoken with him often and he seemed like a great guy. I had no idea he had medical problems. It is amazing he didn't let it stop him from being a positive person.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Wow... Just read the thread and is 1) disappointed I never met Bill, 2) The Z community lost another good member. Wish his family & friends the best.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (Toykilla @ Nov 4 2009, 10:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=586077
Man this sucks :( I had no idea this happened. I had never met Bill in person, but I had spoken with him often and he seemed like a great guy. I had no idea he had medical problems. It is amazing he didn't let it stop him from being a positive person.
Bill and I became pretty good friends although separated by distance, and I too, did not know of all of his medical issues, which dated back to when he was 6 years old. All of that had to affect his life in negative ways but you would never know it. Speaks volumes about his character, which is really all any of really have when all is said and done. ****, I'm gonna miss that guy but at the same time, I really learned something from all of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts