Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that few of you are running wheel-spacers on your Zeds. It certainly fills out the guards better, but I'm curious about a few things like:
a) How strong/secure are these wheel-spacers? How safe is the car with them on ... in particluar when driven at the limit? Can a wheel fall of when fitted like this? Can they break?
b) Are they legal (in particluar here in VIC)?

I've noticed that most people fit 25mm spacers at the rear and 15mm at the front. I had a look at the pics, and the 25mm spacers seem a fraction too wide (IMHO). Looks like 20mm would be better in particluar if your car is lowered. Which brings up more questions:
c) Does anyone have 20mm spacers fitted at the rear?
d) Does anyone have problems with rubbing of the tyre on the guard with the 25mm spacers? In particular under full cornering load.

And last few questions:
e) How much do they cost (ie. all 4)?
f) Where does one buy them from?
g) Do they come in any sizes? Or just 15 and 25mm?
h) What is involved in fitting them onto a car? Do you need to replace/modify any of the existing parts (ie. wheel bolts)?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Hi david'

All i know the Proper spacers is secure. as the Floating one is not secure. because you require a longer stud to hold the wheels. and of course the longer stud will be less stronger.

In Victoria is legal to have the proper spacers and illegal for the floating one.

So i just show you what i meant with the proper secure spacers on the Picture.

Cheers
yun

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
15mm and 20mm spacers are fine on our cars and don't put additional pressure on bearings, etc.

You can purchase them from TCCA motorsports. Here's a copy of an e-mail they sent me with prices.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 8:49 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: H&R Wheel Spacers

Dear Nick,
Thanks for your inquiry, prices as follows :

1 x 30mm DRS System $ 235.00 a pair (15mm per spacer)
1 x 40mm DRS System $ 250.00 a pair (20mm per spacer)

These prices include bolts/etc.
Delivery to Perth $11 for one pair. $22.00 for 2 pairs.

Kind regards
Michelle.

www.tccamotorsport.com.au
TCCA Motorsport
Unit 1, 12-18 Clarendon Street
Artarmon NSW 2064 Australia
Tel : (02) 9436 3668 Fax : (02) 9437 6888

·
Registered
235 Posts
DAVID - 15 and 25 ok - 25 is max for back - no rubbing, but is about max.

15's improved steer feel/turn-in. Go for them.

Check legality in some states - not a worry if picked up - can remove in 10 mins, replace later.

NOTIFY INSURANCE COMPANY.

If you roll the car, could be the excuse the arses need to give hassles over claim. (Although they - the spacers - actually add stability.)

they could give Nissan reasont to refuse warranty on something like wheel bearings, but WTF anyway.

Many cars have spacera as OME anyway.

There's a bit of stuff on the old forum, if it's up.

FROZZLEY

BTW - popchargers ILLEGAL. Most be "enclosed".

·
Registered
297 Posts
Originally posted by frosty@Oct 29 2004, 05:00 PM
BTW - popchargers ILLEGAL. Most be "enclosed".

Say what???? More info please Frosty

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dunno Nick - just what me local mechanic told me - I was considering one - and was asking his opinion.

He reckons to keep the standard filter because of it's efficiency/surface area and if I want to go draggin', just take it out temporarily.

That'll flow more air 'n anything!

FARZTER (H?)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Frosty is correct with respect to popchargers being illegal in NSW. Don't know about other states.

If you were mechanically minded, you could easily make a cover for the popcharger. This would then only suck cold air and avoid the air from the hot engine (popocharger shield may prevent hot air anyhow).

I remember seeing a nice cover for an aftermarket CAI, that you could replicate for the popcharger. From memory, Jinxxy has it - just cannot remember the brand.

Removing the filter for 1/4 mile racing is an old trick. But I doubt that it will give much more power, I'm guessing 5kW at the crank, if the ECU doesn't richen up the fuel to compensate for more air. IMO, it not worth the risk having some rubbish get in your engine for an improvement of about 5/100th's ET.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by KY350@Oct 29 2004, 10:43 PM
I remember seeing a nice cover for an aftermarket CAI, that you could replicate for the popcharger.  From memory, Jinxxy has it - just cannot remember the brand.

K&N. Here's mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's interesting. Is the filter located in the middle of the CAI??

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Yeah. It goes plenum, tube, filter (in the box under the heat shield), tube, intake duct, grille

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thanks DiRN - that's the intake i was mentioning.

I suppose if you had your heart set on a popcharger, you could make a box similar to the K&N box to house the popcharger. I would assume that it would then be legal in NSW as the popcharger is enclosed.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 x 30mm DRS System $ 235.00 a pair (15mm per spacer)
1 x 40mm DRS System $ 250.00 a pair (20mm per spacer)

Thanks guys, all very usefull info. So it looks like it'd cost arund $500 to make get all 4 wheel-spacers ... ~$125 per spacer does not seem cheap. I'll sit on it for a while and see if I want to take that route as there's probably not much performance advantage here. Wider track always makes for better cornering, but if I was to do it, it's probably be mainly to fill in the wheel-arches.

Also, I'm still a bit worried about the safty of having them on the car. It's more to do with not actuall having a wheel-spacer, but the fact that the wheel is holding on via studs which are custom made, and hence who knows how strong. Does anyone know what kind of testing they do on this, or it it just built to spec, and hence no testing?

ps. Though, from the photos that I've seen, it does look good on the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts