Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I was unable to make the Sydney tech day :( based on the recommendations I have decided to go the APS exhaust and ECU. I just have a couple of questions. I am also after extractors/headers and a cold air intake. Ok here are the questions:

- Most people seems to run the JWT popcharger. Are people happy with it? what kind of noise/increase of power do you get? Where did you get it from? i'd prefer to not have to order from the states.

- I also saw a v2 Nismo cold air intake, has anyone had any experience with/heard anything about this piece of kit?

- Does anyone in here run extractors/headers on their Z? if so, what type, where did you get it done, increase in power? are you happy with it?

- What order should I get this done? if I bought the exhaust and ECU and then got the extractors and cold air intake would I then need to get the ecu re-tuned?

I have had a bit of a look through the US forums but everyone seems to be saying different things and I don't even know if half the products are available in Australia. I'd prefer not to import an unknown product not available is Australia with no warranty.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I run a Unifilter (pod style filter) with a heat sheild. All up $249.00 and they are based in Hornsby, Sydney. It is easy to fit yourself.

I assume it makes the same sound as the JWT, like a whistling sound at certain rpm. It is a little louder than stock but not intrusive in anyway.

Power gains, who knows, but it's not hurting in anyway I guess. Easy to clean and re-oil as well, just get them to throw in a bottle of the oil if you buy.

Also, it filters down to a smaller micron than the K & N filter, but really that is irrelevant as most filters these days do a good enough job.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We also run the unifilter and sheild, I've never dynoed before and after to confirm the gains but I would guess a couple of kw.

And it sounds brilliant over 4000 when you are giving it some ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
K and N are offering a CAI now..looks good, I've ordered it.

Currently running custom job. Piped up air straight into heat shielded Simota pod.

Anyone know where to get ceramic headers?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I've got the Popcharger and the power increase is marginal at best. The noise, however, is terrific. When you rev it out past 4000RPM the thing sounds like a race motor. If I get a set of cams, the thing will scream.

Unfortunately its given me a nasty habit of dropping the car in second gear when driving through tunnels, winding the windows down, and revving the thing to redline before letting it overrun down to around 70km/hr before revving it again.

I've been in a Z33 with an A'PEXi Power Intake and the noise isn't as nice. Like all acoustics, different shapes of air directors produce different effects and whatever JWT did seems to make it loud and angry.

The heatshield also works wonders. Unless I've been in stop/start traffic, the engine side of the heat shield will be hot to the touch but the metal ring around the filter will be cold.

If you've got a clear powertrain upgrade path that you can do all at once, I'd suggest tuning the ECU last. Your engine management should be tuned to your car's individual characteristics. While having an AFM means your system is more resilient to changes than a MAP setup (which requires a retune for every mod that changes airflow through your engine), you'll maximise the gains of your modifications if your car is tuned with them installed.

If you're going to get a full exhaust system, then get all the piping in before installing and tuning the Unichip.

The only ones I've heard about are Fujitsubo's. Having chatted with some of the guys that worked on Mike Fitzgeralds' GT-P car, they were quite happy with the performance increase that they provided. I can't provide you with exact gains, since they also installed a straight through, unmuffled and test piped, exhaust to it.

I'm using a ghetto CAI at the moment. Just a length of PVC pipe that runs from the front air intake (I pulled out a plastic baffle so the radiator isn't getting any less airflow than before the mod) that runs up into the intake snorkel (which is US spec on my car). Once again, I can't feel or hear any difference but its nice to know that my engine is getting cool air.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm also under the impression that the stock filter is just fine. I'm yet to see any of the aftermarket mods show and real gains.

I run a replacement LM filter in the stock box vs a CAI. Appart from the great sound of a POD i wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
297 Posts
[/quote]

I agree, everything I've read on intakes indicate it's not worth spending the money over the OEM. Having said that I have the Popcharger and the sound is just fantastic!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
[/quote]

From what we've seen on the pod style air filter I reckon you're better off to keep the standard air box and just install a good [email protected] style air cleaner element.

Some of the pod style filters really upset the MAF signal and the air fuel mixtures are then difficult if not impossible to correct, to achieve totally smooth engine response imho, best to stick with a [email protected] filter, hope this helps. :wavey:

Peter

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hey contempt,

looking further into the pod style filters, I think most of the claims for the power increases came from the manufacturers. A dyno will not be able to produce an accurate 'real world' power increase as the small cooling fan used with a dyno cannot create the same air flow characteristics as on a moving car. Also constant high speed driving causes negative/positive pressures at and around the front area of the car. This plays a part on how the air enters the throttle body.

Other things like air intake temperature whilst driving, whilst idle and
0-100 km runs should be taken into account.

I read an interesting article once on a cold air set-up for a car (I think it was Holden) where they compared stock vs 2 brands aftermarket and a home made set-up. All were dynoed and the home brew was last, stock second and aftermarket kits first and second. But when they did the G-tech 0-100 km runs, the stock came in last. The home brew kit was second and the other aftermarkets 1st and third. The interesting thing was the best aftermarket system was almost 1/2 a second quicker over stock in the 0-100km/hr sprint!

I really don't know if the can be said for the zed, but food for thought!

I have had my unifilter since 1500 kms on my car and have had no problems with it or my MAF, although Nissan tried to blame a problem on it and said I was running lean due to it's fitment. Works out neither was true!

cheers

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I doubt you'd see big gains with a CAI on the Z.

The stock induction is already quite well set up, and the air is drawn from outside the engine bay so its not getting as much hot air as most hacks. You'll find that its mostly cars that stick their intake right behind the headlight, with no access to any air aside from the engine bay that most greatly benefit from a CAI setup.

Quite a few S15s I know, who have replaced their factory intercooler (which sits in the small hole in front of the passenger side wheel) with a big front mount intercooler, will run a bit of flex pipe through this vacated hole and up into where the pod filter resides. Being both turbocharged and otherwise drawing air from inside a turbo engine bay, they feel much better gains than we would

I installed a ghetto CAI on my car and, aside from a very minor (and possibly psychosomatic) deepening in my induction note, there has been no noticable difference. It can't make it worse so I've left it on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
"Unfortunately its given me a nasty habit of dropping the car in second gear when driving through tunnels, winding the windows down, and revving the thing to redline before letting it overrun down to around 70km/hr before revving it again. "

amen !! unfortunately there is really only one tunnel around here worth driving through hehe

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Scathing Wrote:
"Unfortunately its given me a nasty habit of dropping the car in second gear when driving through tunnels, winding the windows down, and revving the thing to redline before letting it overrun down to around 70km/hr before revving it again. "

Nang3 Wrote:
amen !!

Try to imagine a turbo or two!

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Originally posted by mchapman@Feb 23 2005, 01:56 AM
Try to imagine a turbo or two!

Having heard ZTRACK's car going up James Ruse Dr, after getting that nice note revving it out in the tunnel, dessert will come in the form of some nice flutter when I ease off the throttle. All echoing off the walls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts