Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Ive been reading these forums for about 4 months, learning about the Z etc. I originally bought an RX-8 back last year...waited 5 months for it to ship out of Japan...When I got to the dealership to pic it up, it had a long gouge/scratch on the fender as well as ..it was missing the Navigation which I paid for...WASNT HAPPY

so then i figured.why not test drive the Z ...well i didnt like it the first time i test drove it..but I figured...i want to take it out again....i come to find out..this car is simply amazing..and the best parts are...6speed man, both analog and DIGITAL tach! i love the speedometer...and well the seats just hug me right. I never wanted to buy a car with cloth seats again..but i actually LOVE these cloth seats..IM very impressed and I know why you all picked this car as opposed to other. Wow.

Anyways...enough chatting..my BIG question is..im going to be buying a 2005 Z. I know the salesman so im getting it at invoice and getting an additional 3.5% off. so im pumped.

BUT my dilemma is..I was really looking at the performance model..but now im sitting here thing to myself..why not get the enthusiast? I know there is 18 inch on the perf. and VDC....can someone explain how important VDC is...or why I would want to buy a performance over a cheaper priced enthusiast..it seems there are more people on this site with ENTHU than performance model? handing worse for enthu? hmm

I would really like to know the best one to buy, I am looking for the best drive, quality but as well as value, meaning..if something like VDC isnt that important..then i dont care for it. I live in arizona so it will never touch things like snow ...rain (if i can help it) Thanks guys and girls...lata

Mass :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I cant speaker for an the enthusiast model, but i have the perf.

VDC really keeps my car heading straight. I wish i could drive an enthusiast to feel the difference.

The reason i chose Perf over Enth, is that i planned on selling the stock rims right away (~$1k) I couldnt get half that for the 17's

A few factors that should weigh into your decision:

1. planning on keeping stock rims? Do you like the 17's? or the 18's?
2. How big is the price Gap and is it worth it?
3. Test drive both and see if you can get the traction control and VDC to kick in. See which you like better.

Glad you decided to go with a Z.. I think the RX8 looks ok, but you will be happier in our community :)

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I have the performance as well. Two main reasons were that I knew after putting the down payment I wouldn't have enough cash to buy new wheels any time soon and I wanted the 18s. The other reason was for the VDC. You won't notice it in most situations but sometimes in the rain etc. it can make a diff.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have the Base model and I live in Florida where it rains all the time. When driving in the rain, the car feels very stable. The only thing that sucks are the stock tires in wet and cold conditions. They're terrible.

My car spun once on wet roads, but that was mostly my fault from taking a corner too fast. VDC might have helped since it applys the brakes most at the wheel that has the most traction and wouldn't apply the brakes for a wheel that has no traction. VDC and TCS can help, to an extent. The best way to prevent a crash is by having an educated driver.

I'd say that you should get the enthusiast since you don't really have bad weather conditions and you could always buy aftermarket rims with the money saved.

Also, I drove one of my friend's RX8s. That car is pretty nice and I underrated it before I drove it. After 5k RPM, it feels like a turbo just kicked in and you get thrown back in your seat. The rotary is a very smooth engine, too. He had leather (power/heated), moonroof, Bose sound, HIDs, etc for $26k through VPP (his company has a deal with Mazda).

The only thing that I didn't like much was that the handling was too soft for my tastes (I'm used to the Z's rough ride, which I prefer now), the gear box was real smooth (again, I'm used to the Z's notchy box, which I like), and finally the clutch was really soft and not as heavy as the Z's (I like the Z's more). Besides those items, which can be changed, the 8 is very nice car. It sucks that your dealer wasn't too bright on how to make an order or whatever they did wrong. Hope you enjoy your Z!

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I have the Enthusiast and I think the TCS is a nice thing to have. When I turn it off when it is wet, it is very easy to spin the tires without intent to do so. I haven't had the fortune to use VDC, but I haven't found any situations I've been in to find it necessary. Again, go on the price difference. Even if you like the 18" stock wheels, you will be able to buy a set on the forums for cheaper, and if VDC is not something you think you will need, then don't buy it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm ok..im getting ready to buy a Z and it looks like the only difference between the enthu and perf, is the VDC and 18 inch wheels. hmmm is this true?

for that kind of price increase, is VDC even worth it? I know buying between the BASE and ENTHU...ENTHU is totally worth it..with the limited slip, xenon lights..among other things. hmm

what do you guys think? About the enthu vs performance

I was leaning at the perf for the longest time..but have been reviewing the specs and only see 2 differences.

help me out please

I figure i can upgrade to 19's aftermarket later.

VDC important? or not really?

Mass :bump:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. for all the responds......

well im never going to race this on a track but i love to fly fast on the highway..etc. so im not too sure about the VDC..the 18 vs 17 inch wheels..i dont care at this point because on plan on getting 19's

so i guess im trying to figure out whether VDC is worth it..I test drove 3 cars..and none where performance..it seems most on the lot are either..base...enthu...or roadster styles... i thought it drove great..just have no idea what VDC feels like ? hmm

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I've never driven a Z with VDC either, but I always figured that if you knew how to drive the car properly, it would hinder you at times. But if you don't know how to drive it properly, it would save your ass

·
Registered
587 Posts
Originally posted by criticalmass12@Nov 14 2004, 04:48 AM
..and the best parts are...6speed man, both analog and DIGITAL tach! i love the speedometer...

I would really like to know the best one to buy, I am looking for the best drive, quality but as well as value, meaning..if something like VDC isn't that important..then i don't care for it.  I live in Arizona so it will never touch things like snow ...rain (if i can help it)  Thanks guys and girls...lata

I'm not sure about the 05 Z, but mine does NOT have a Digital Tach, and this is the first I have heard about one.

The VDC is a very good thing to have if you are in an area that gets rain. 99% of the time you will not know its working or even on. The VDC can apply the breaks on just one wheel to prevent you from losing control of the car, something a person can not do. If you plan on driving the car hard but not tracking it, The VDC will probably save your ass more than once

The performance model will get better traction because of More rubber on the ground, and if you plan on Going with 19" later the OEM 18"s will have a much better resale value than the 17"s making you able to get much nicer 19"s

·
Registered
806 Posts
VDC doesn't work properly if your aftermarket wheels/tires aren't the correct size. You will need to have certain tire sizes to allow the VDC feature to work properly or you'll have it going on and off when it's not suppose to. If you do get tires that don't work with the VDC (too large of a diameter), you'd have to turn the VDC switch off everytime you start the car.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Nov 14 2004, 07:22 PM
I've never driven a Z with VDC either, but I always figured that if you knew how to drive the car properly, it would hinder you at times.  But if you don't know how to drive it properly, it would save your ass

I'm with DiRN on this one. If you know how to drive, then you don't need it. 99% of the cars on the road don't have it and I've heard of just as many 350z's sliding in the rain as anything else. Plus, if it is true that VDC won't work with aftermarket wheels and that is your planned route to go, then I don't think there is really much of a choice. Save your money and go with enthusiast. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sounds like a smart move to go with the enthusiast, ive never had vdc before and ive never had a problem driving in rain with my cobra..and that had 390 hp (dont even ask about snow driving..forget about it)

i want to go with 19's ....where would u buy rims and tires at, ? for the best value..?

ive looked at tirerack..some of their stuff seeems good some seems a bit steep in price. discount tires...has always taken good care of me, but not to sure what u guys think.

http://discounttire.com/product/wheels/tswcat.hb.xl.jpg

these look pretty nice...although im a fine of 5 spoke rims or 5 spoke design...im planning on getting a silverstone...so i think dark grey machine gun color would be great.

opinions welcomed on color and or rims...

mass

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I got a great price on my Volks/Toyo Proxes T1-S from brian at 350zonlinestore.com Also Jason from Performancenissanparts.com can give you good prices too. I suggest you find a rim you like and then shop for vendors, pricing. hopupracing.com has a great selection of rims to look at, but they are kinda steep in price.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have an 05' base and love it! I first test drove a base and had it sideways @ 45mph (on purpose) and instantly fell in love with the Z.

Before I purchased my new Z, I also test drove a used touring model...and couldn't get it sidways at all. Then I found the DVC button and disabled it. The car then drove about like the base.

If you can spring for the DVC I'd recommend it. The only complaint I have about my Z is that it has a way of raising my confidence level above my talent level. DVC would be nice to have for those moments. (I have accidentally kicked the back out 3 times and pushed a corner once) The car is good at getting back under control after you push it too far but DVC could have helped in all of those close calls.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm with most of them . . . it wasn't until I borrowed my buddies enthusiast model (I have a performance) when I noticed a difference among the TCS and VDC. His in NA form seemed to get a little more squirrelly (which I like :thumbsup: ) during spirited runs. Personally, I like the added security of VDC during hard downpours, but if its only your weekend driver, its a waste of money. You're getting 19s and I doubt you would even consider swapping the tire pressure sensors.

As for 19s, have fun. Tires aren't cheap . . . Here's my Volk TE37s with 10.5" rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice hehe yup i want to get 19x10 in the rear and 19x9 in front

is 19x8.5 better..whats the difference when refering to the front width

1 - 20 of 21 Posts