Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an almost new '05 with Borla Exhaust and a JWT pop charger that have been installed for several weeks. I only have 900 miles on the car. Just this morning I backed out of my garage and the cursed Service Engine Soon Light came on! Why now? That stuff has been on long enough for the light to have come on before and I am a bit baffled by this given my short list of engine mods. What do you guys recommend? Should I reset the ECU? Won't it just come back? Should I wait it out? I have heard that they will go off after "a couple hundred miles" sometimes. I am stressed out more than I should be about this. :banghead:

I don't want to stare at this light for eternity. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
mine has been on for a LOOOONNNGG time.. I installed test pipes and it turned on. I reset the ECU and it was ok for awhile then came back on.. It is very frustrating.

Try to reset the ECU first, then see if it comes back on. Most people have had better luck than I.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by TOYKILLA@Aug 13 2005, 06:46 PM
mine has been on for a LOOOONNNGG time.. I installed test pipes and it turned on. I reset the ECU and it was ok for awhile then came back on.. It is very frustrating.

Try to reset the ECU first, then see if it comes back on. Most people have had better luck than I.
[snapback]145329[/snapback]​

Thanks toy. Yeah, this is the automotive equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me. I am hoping that the ECU reset sends the error to the depths of ****, never to return. :xZ!o:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
It couldnt hurt to have Nissan pull the code and see what its seeing. When I first got my car, 200 miles into it I got a light. Poor fuel vac. Turns out my gascap wasnt the OEM nissan one! stranger things have happened i suppose..

Pull the code, fix the problem. G'luck!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just came back from a run on the Tail of the Dragon a few weekends ago and was in Ohio when the darn light came on and freaked me out. I have headers high flow cats and a Y pipe, also have the Nismo cold air intake. Well I call the dealer and was told it could be anything from a loose gas cap to a sensor gone bad, wait a week and call us back. Well I took in after a week and it was the oxygen sensor gone bad. Has been working fine after 250.00 and yes it is like nails on a chalk board!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by Zlessnomore@Aug 13 2005, 07:45 PM
I just came back from a run on the Tail of the Dragon a few weekends ago and was in Ohio when the darn light came on and freaked me out. I have headers high flow cats and a Y pipe, also have the Nismo cold air intake. Well I call the dealer and was told it could be anything from a loose gas cap to a sensor gone bad, wait a week and call us back. Well I took in after a week and it was the oxygen sensor gone bad. Has been working fine after 250.00 and yes it is like nails on a chalk board!
[snapback]145346[/snapback]​

250 bucks! They saw you coming:
Link to oxygen sensors for $50 - $60

For that $250, you could have replaced the oxygen sensor yourself, bought yourself a nice datalogger/code reader to read the codes (SES light) yourself, and still had money left over for a night on the town.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by TOYKILLA@Aug 13 2005, 05:46 PM

[snapback]145329[/snapback]​

you need two packs of nonfoulers, a drill, a 1/2" drill bit, and a half hour of time. You won't ever see that SES light again (at least not from you test pipes)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts