Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my first test drive in a 350Z yesterday, it was a Base m/t.

Does the Track model have different suspension, or is the ride quality and ride height the same? The guys at the dealership couldn't answer this for me.

Also, is there a big difference with the Brembos?

Thanks in advance everyone...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
There is no difference in engine or suspension form the base all the way to the track. So sad that the dealer couldnt answer that for you.

There is no stopping difference really between the Brembo and stock brakes. The only differencr will be that there will be much less brake fade if you are going to track your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see. Thanks for that info Dave079.

How about the Nismo suspension setup? Can anyone give me any opinions on ride quality vs. a Track?

I am thinking about possibly going with a Enthusiast model, and adding Nismo suspension and AP brake package. How do you think that would stack up against a Track?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Originally posted by MHakkinen@Oct 24 2004, 10:29 AM
I see. Thanks for that info Dave079.

How about the Nismo suspension setup? Can anyone give me any opinions on ride quality vs. a Track?

I am thinking about possibly going with a Enthusiast model, and adding Nismo suspension and AP brake package. How do you think that would stack up against a Track?

That would be superior to the track.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hey, welcome to the boards! The AP brakes are great and I've heard they're much better on the track than the Brembos. Also, you should look into the Tein adjustable suspension (can control from the driver seat if you get EDFC).

I'll take it you're a McLaren Mercedes F1 fan? My favorite driver, Montoya, will be heading there next season. Should make a great team with Kimi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey NismoKid,

Thanks for the welcome and the info. The Tein/EDFC looks an awesome setup and gives the best both worlds. And not really that much more expensive (I don't know about the install cost tho).

As for the F1 thing, yeah I've been a fan since 1989. I got to meet Mika in Montreal 2000 which was cool. I must admit that I'm very dissapointed with Mclaren's lack of reliability/results. Kimi and JPM will be fun to watch next year, and maybe the team can get their ducks in a row and get it right against MS. We'll see!

In the meantime, I'm going to do more research on which 350Z and mod combo I want to go with. Great info coming from this board, so I don't think it will be so difficult after all :)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Just keeo asking questions and we will be glad to answer and help you man. Good bunch of knowledgeable friendly people here

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would suggest buying the enthusiast model and upgrading everything else aftermarket. I personally have the TEIN with edfc and consider it one of the best purchases I have ever made for any vehicle ever. :irock: I would also suggest some upgraded rubber to fully get the G's you want out of the Z.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Don't forget that the 05' Track will not be the same as an 05' enthusiast model. In 05' the Track model gets a HP bump to 300hp over the 287hp of the rest of the 05' 350Z's . the 05 Track will not be out untill Jan 05'

·
Registered
120 Posts
IMO, there is a difference, besides the improved fade resistance, between the Nissan Brakes and the Brembos. Again, IMHO, the stock Nissan Brakes tend to be grabby, the Brembos, OTOH, have superior linear feel, and are much easier to live with, and much easier to use both on and off the track.

Lou

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Roger that guys. I've been spending the afternoon rubbing the pages of the brochure thinner and thinner, as well as clicking around to various tuner sites.

Ok guys, help me out- I'll be buying/ordering in the next 2-3 months. So, which should it be: Enthusiast or Track?

Ideally, I'd like to wind up with a Z that has the Nismo wheel package (8.5/9.5's) plus lowered somewhat.

Suspension upgrade mainly street(alot of freeway)/mild track use, but correct me guys if I'm wrong, it appears that going with either Nismo suspension or Tein Flex w/ EDFC cannot be installed on models equipped with VSC? That eliminates the Track then right?

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I like and want goodies on the Track model, but how do I solve the suspension issue? Stay with stock dampers and just change springs?

btw, intake and exhaust will probably be the limit of my performance mods, which is another reason the Track appeals to me. Help me sort out my confusion here- which way should I go??

.......head is starting to hurt!! lol

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I don't know how much the 05 Track is going to cost, but I imagine that the difference in price between the 03/04 Tracks and the 05 will be more than the cost of an intake and exhaust.

Also, if you want the Nismo wheels, there's no sense in paying extra money for the Rays wheels that are standard on the Track model

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you plan on modding the car, go with the enthusiast. The amount you will save between the two models will give you much better aftermarket goodies than any nissan dealer will ever offer you with the same amount of money spent.

-You like brembos? Get an aftermarket set from Stoptech, AP, Project mu, etc which will out perform the factory brembos.

-You like the track rays? Get some aftermarket wheels that will look much nicer, are wider, and can fit some bigger rubber.

-You like the extra bit of horsepower? Get aftermarket parts and an ecu reflash that will far outperform any track model.

The track model is for those that do not know how to mod cars or do not want to touch anything off of the assembly line from nissan

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by Rickdogg@Oct 24 2004, 09:27 PM
If you plan on modding the car, go with the enthusiast.  The amount you will save between the two models will give you much better aftermarket goodies than any nissan dealer will ever offer you with the same amount of money spent. 

-You like brembos? Get an aftermarket set from Stoptech, AP, Project mu, etc which will out perform the factory brembos.

-You like the track rays? Get some aftermarket wheels that will look much nicer, are wider, and can fit some bigger rubber.

-You like the extra bit of horsepower?  Get aftermarket parts and an ecu reflash that will far outperform any track model. 

The track model is for those that do not know how to mod cars or do not want to touch anything off of the assembly line from nissan

Have to totally agree with Rick. If you want to mod a Z I would highly suggest the Enthusiast. I know you said you want Nismo rims. The only big upgrade the track really gives is the Brembos and the 18" Rays rims. Also Stoptech will not only look better but will outperform the factory brembos. The 13 hp bump at the crank for the 05's would not take much at all to achieve on others models with just a couple of mods.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
i aggree with dave, i also went with the enthusiast since al li really wanted were the HIDS, traction control, & limited slip. good have those thigns when the weather is not all that great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes you guys have convinced me; I'm going to go with a 2005 Enthusiast model! Intake/exhaust/suspension/brakes will be a no brainer.

The wheels- how do you guys feel about Volk TE37's in 18x9.5 / 18x10.5? I want to stay with 18's for ride and performance reasons, do you think there will be any fitment or rubbing issues going with that wide of a wheel/tire? Also will it look funny going wide like that on 18's or should I really step up to 19's if I want to be at 9.5/10.5 width?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd go with 19's. Mine are a smoother ride than the stock 18's. Plus, if you're spending that much money on wheels, (this is just me) I'd want the wheels to be noticed more than the rubber.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Boogiemyke; yeah for me I really don't want to go bigger than 18's. I've looked at alot of pics now and the 19's are just a bit too big of a look for me. I'm surprised that the 19's give you a better ride. That's a bonus!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I agree with you on the 19s being too big. One of the reasons I wanted an Ethusiast was for the 17s

1 - 20 of 23 Posts