Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.. I'm a newbie here, just signed up today. I have a 2004 daytona blue 350z roadster, and I love it!

My only concern with the car is about the OEM HID's. They're "good", but definitely not "great", as I'd expect from any HID system.

First off, it seems like the beams don't uniformly cover the whole ground in front of the car. There are a few areas that seem unlit, almost like there's something on the headlights, but there isn't. This makes the beam pattern on the road look blotchy, and it looks horrible. Is this normal?

Secondly, they simply aren't that bright. When I compare them to my old car's halogen lights, yes, they're better, but it seems like any car with ordinary halogen headlights driving beside me on the road have the same intensity as my HIDs. And, ANY car with OEM HID's that pull up beside me seem to easily overpower my headlights every time. Could this be isolated to just my HIDs, or are the HID's in the 350z's in general just not that great?

Lastly, what type/brand of HID bulbs should I buy, and would they even make a difference? I read online that there are two types of bulbs: D2r and D2s. Which one is better, and do they both fit in the 350z headlight?

Is anyone else is having these problems?!?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I forgot to mention that I've done the height adjustment already - it helps to correct the "blotchy" beam pattern on the ground a bit, but it's still not bright enough. And when it's raining or the roads are wet it's like I don't even have my headlights on... that's just not acceptable for HID headlights. =\

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. I am now looking to buy a 350Z and was hoping to get one with HIDs, since my current car (2003 Mazda6) came with halogens. A few months back I installed an aftermarket HID kit in my headlights (high-intensity H1 bulbs with ballasts, in H1 projectors) and I have the same problems you are describing, i.e. "spotty" light output, not much brighter than other cars' halogen lights, and absolutely ineffective in the rain. I thought it was just because H1 projectors are not made to properly handle the light output from HID bulbs, and so it was a trade-off I would have to live with...but now that I am reading this, I am strongly considering getting a base model with halogen lights, then doing an upgrade later on my own!

I would have thought that a car of this quality and price would have headlight output at least as good as Acura TSX and HondaS2000, which is avery wide light spray with a very sharp and definite cut-off line (with the nice blue/purple line and the passenger side slightly higher than the driver side).

Can anyone else give reviews of the Z's HID light output, assuming that they are aimed properly?

Thanks!
-steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to add that the cutoff on the OEM HID's isn't that bad... it's not "great", but not 'horrible' like some aftermarket HID's I've seen that kinda scatter the light everywhere. Also, I've aimed mine to every humanly possible angle to try to maximize light output to the ground, and all I've noticed is the lower I aim them, the more spotty the beam gets, and obviously the distance of the beam gets shorter and shorter the lower you aim them. Even when aimed VERY low, the output isn't brighter, as I thought it might be. When I aim them higher, the spottiness does go away almost completely, and the distance seems really good, but again, they still aren't very bright.

I got a response from elsewhere on the forum regarding this issue, and the guy said they're not that bright for a few reasons: the HID bulbs are D2R instead of D2S, and the projector 'cat eye' itself is very small... both of which are true - just check out pics and stats to verify.

So, I'm checking into seeing if the D2S bulbs will fit in the OEM HID headlight. Apparently, if you want the absolute best output, the 2006 bi-xenon system seems to be the most superior for the Z. If you can find some pics, you can clearly see the size of the '06 projecter is at least twice that of the earlier versions. The only problem is, they cost a **** arm and a leg - from what I've heard, well over $1k ! I'm just hoping the D2S bulbs will fit, and I hope they're brighter, as they only cost about $110 for a pair. Allegedly they're 25% brighter than the OEM D2R's... I guess we'll see.

:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.