Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am going to put the Z in storeage for the worst of the winter in Indiana, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions in regards to this. I will be covering the car with my custom car cover, but after that, is there anything else I should do? I am using a good storeage facility, so rodents or wall corrosion aren't an issue at all. Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a better idea. Mount some all-season tires on it and drive it. That is what I do. Come on guys, these are nice cars, but when all is said and done they are Nissans. Not like we are talking about irreplacable exotics. Keep on driving it and having fun.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Disconnect battery...or put on a 'trickle' charger.

Just for winter fluids s/b o.k.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would put some Blizzaks on it, but we've had a significant amount of snow here lately, so I don't want to risk it. Plus, when this is your dream car, you tend to take care of it like it is an "exotic." I've slid enough in this car to know that driving in the snow is not the best idea. I'm going to be out of town (back at home) for a month, so storeage seems to be the best option. A winter beater might be in my future, just so I dont have to get stuck in the parking lot every time I want to go somewhere in the snow.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Here is a great thread that we started on winter storage *click here*

And here is a little excerpt:

Originally posted by SmoothZ
As for winterizing, here's what I normally do (or did):

1. Full detail including waxing the wheels.
2. Apply fabric softener sheets in engine bay (deters mice).
3. Stuff a small rag in each exhaust tip, then wrap with plastic sandwich bag & rubber band (keeps out mice and moisture).
4. Ensure that everything that doesn't need to be in the car is taken out.
5. Take out battery and place on wooden block (do not leave on concrete).
6. If you have a car cover, use it. Or several soft blankets.

Sometimes, I have been known to put the car on jackstands and take off the wheels. However, other times I will just let the car sit and pull it out into the driveway for a few minutes of idling. If the streets are super dry and the sun is out, I might take it for a drive (temps on these types of days are usually -30F or colder).

Read the thread, there are lots of good ideas in there!~ :cheers:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
When I lived in CT and had a 5.0 Mustang, I'd fire it up once a week and drive it back and forth in the driveway - unless it was dry, and then around the block a few times. If you're planning on long-term storage, do some research, there are a lot of things that need to be done to ensure engine/drivetrain issues. :shiftdrive:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts