Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i am going to install my own TT kit for sure, but recently ive also decided i want the engine out to do the install. I am confident that i can do it, but would like some pointers from those that have done it before.

Any special tools needed? Obviosly i will need some type of hoist and a stand.

About how long to pull the engine?

Thanks for the help, and i hope i can help others while i document my adventures.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Julian did a pretty good visual aid post on installing his kit. I think he mentioned a few tips in his posts.

Man, good luck with that project. :OMG: I would never do it unless I owned a tuner shop and had all the tools, plus a mechanic or two to do most of it while I helped.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i read that thread and also one going on in another forum... i am plenty confident to tackle this and plan on using my vacation to do so.. just looking for any pointers.. i will keep a detailed log (typical of my how-to instructions) and bring everyone along for the ride.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I seem to remember the project takes about 25 or 30 hours. I hope you have help. In fact, you're going to need it and a cooler full of refreshments. Beef jerky on the side would be useful instead of sugary foods. :wtf: I can't believe I'm giving tips on eating... :rolf2:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Jul 6 2005, 07:18 PM
:OMG:  wow Josh let something out of the bag :rolf2:  Good luck man, can't wait for the details!  :clap:
[snapback]127802[/snapback]​

sometimes thoughts just fall out of my head.. well at least you have something to look forward to in a few months

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by mdzowner@Jul 6 2005, 07:22 PM
wow man good luck with the install. what kit are you going with?
mdzowner
[snapback]127808[/snapback]​

decision still pending.. but APS tt is top on the list, with the single a close second

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by TOYKILLA+Jul 6 2005, 07:38 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-mdzowner
@Jul 6 2005, 07:22 PM
wow man good luck with the install. what kit are you going with? 
mdzowner 
[snapback]127808[/snapback]​

decision still pending.. but APS tt is top on the list, with the single a close second
[snapback]127824[/snapback]​

A couple of things I have run into with other vehicles that may help.
Some of these maybe obvious.

Take off or protect anything you want to stay pretty, including engine covers, painted battery covers, pretty mods, fenders, bumpers, jewelry, etc and cover your interior with trashbags over the seats and floors.

Take lots of digital photos before you pull the engine, lots of little bits and often it is easier to see how it goes back together with photos.

Plan 50% more time and 20% more money and you cant go wrong.

When you buy your engine hoist, check the extension length. Alot of the hoists I have seen will not fit under the Z very well and trying to pull the engine at an angle due to a short hoist is a real PIA.

find a patient friend, maybe some other admin on this board :)

A good set of hand tools and air tools are critical.

Make sure you have enough space to pull the engine and work on it without being in the front yard.

Drain all you fluids before you turn any bolts. Very important if you don't own shares in bounty.

When you get everything disconnected and are ready to pull your engine give it one final once over, it is very easy to break stuff when you are using a lift and forget that one connection. Good time to have that extra set of eyes

As strange as it may sound go easy on the brew, I pulled the engine on a friends pos mustang and wound up with 3 screws holding my hand together due to a couple of shiners and a little impatient.

When you done and your turbo is complete resist the urge to drive unsafely and recklessly down George Bush , well at least until rush hour is past. : )

Good luck man and if you get in a jam or need any help shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
George Bush Tollway will be mine!

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully we get some more, but if not I will do my best not to break things.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Jul 6 2005, 08:18 PM
:OMG:  wow Josh let something out of the bag :rolf2:  Good luck man, can't wait for the details!  :clap:
[snapback]127802[/snapback]​

+1! Good luck Josh! :irock: :irock:

I wish I had some tips for you, but good luck on the project. Keep us updated on what you choose! :yourock: :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
310 Posts
You might consider undoing the entire front clip (tranny, tranny support, engine, engine support, and necessary suspension parts) and pulling it out the bottom. Afterall, this is how the stuff goes in at the factory. From what I understand, this is much easier.

You will need a craddle to hold the front clip. You will also need a engine hoist too. Place the front on jack stands and get your craddle in place. Undo the front clip and use jacks to lower it onto the craddle. Then, use the hoist to LIFT THE CAR BODY! Yup, that is how the amateurs tend to do it. Then, slide the craddle out with the front clip. Once it is out, you can lower the body back onto the jack stands and your engine and tranny are now mobile on a craddle of some sort.

Just a tip. Not sure if it would work with the Z, but I cannot see why it would not.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Good luck Josh.

I read that dropping the engine is easier, but I doubt you have a lift so that's out. I think some owners have removed the front end and taken the motor out that way.

Have a good supply of lint free towels on hand. There is a plastic belt tensioner that everyone seems to break when pulling the motor so watch out for that.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by TOYKILLA@Jul 7 2005, 08:42 AM

will this hoist work?
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&cm_ite=Froogle
[snapback]128134[/snapback]​

I could not find a trolley height for that cherry picker, the Z's clearance is 4.7" so make sure and check your heights. The capacities listed as with all hoists is rated with the boom all the way retracted. Your capacity drops off dramatically as you squirt out the boom. You should also look at an engine equalizer and a set of slings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Jul 6 2005, 05:56 PM
I seem to remember the project takes about 25 or 30 hours.  I hope you have help.  In fact, you're going to need it and a cooler full of refreshments.  Beef jerky on the side would be useful instead of sugary foods.  :wtf:  I can't believe I'm giving tips on eating... :rolf2:
[snapback]127784[/snapback]​

There's no way it's going to take you 25-30 hours to pull and engine unless your using a fisherprice tool kit.

sean

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Originally posted by socalsean+Jul 8 2005, 06:27 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SmoothZ
@Jul 6 2005, 05:56 PM
I seem to remember the project takes about 25 or 30 hours.  I hope you have help.  In fact, you're going to need it and a cooler full of refreshments.  Beef jerky on the side would be useful instead of sugary foods.  :wtf:  I can't believe I'm giving tips on eating... :rolf2:

There's no way it's going to take you 25-30 hours to pull and engine unless your using a fisherprice tool kit.

sean
[snapback]128929[/snapback]​

I BELIEVE that's the TOTAL time for the engine removal & Turbo install.

Josh - dude you so rock!!

One & only tip - GO SLOW, BREAK OFTEN & STOP TO EAT FREQUENTLY!!!

After doing 2 sets of Crawford Jackstands - that's about all I can help with off the top of my head. Good luck & post plenty of pics :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Originally posted by Buff+Jul 8 2005, 03:41 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2005, 06:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SmoothZ
@Jul 6 2005, 05:56 PM

sean
[snapback]128929[/snapback]​

I BELIEVE that's the TOTAL time for the engine removal & Turbo install.

Josh - dude you so rock!!

One & only tip - GO SLOW, BREAK OFTEN & STOP TO EAT FREQUENTLY!!!

After doing 2 sets of Crawford Jackstands - that's about all I can help with off the top of my head. Good luck & post plenty of pics :shiftdrive:
[snapback]128933[/snapback]​

ok that sounds about right!

sean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts