Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The October 14th issue of Autoweek had a short article about how the RX-8 has reached production of the 100,000th car after 18 months production, yet has achieved sales of (only) 29,000 cars in the US and 23,000 cars in Japan. That leaves a lot of cars on the boat, cars sold in Europe, and/or cars sold in Mexico and Canada. I know that the Z achieved 60,000 sales in North America 18 months in, but does anyone know what the comparative production total was at that time? Be interested to see the comparison. In Texas, I do not see that many RX-8s and I suspect sales are "poor" by comparison to the Z.

·
Registered
63 Posts
350Z :whip: RX-8 any questions

·
Registered
63 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I noticed that article in some headlines last week but didn't read the details. I thought 100K sold in the US was a little high. The 29K number makes more sense.

Last fall when I was looking for a Z, the nearby dealers has 4 or 5 cars on the lot at any given time. I pass by a Mazda dealer on the way to work every day, he's always has at least 20 RX-8s on the lot. Oddly enough, I've only seen a few on the streets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i wish the Z had low sales or better yet just low production numbers so there would not be so many. at least rx-8 drivers can say they are more exclusive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Sarasota FL and am seeing equal numbers of both cars on the street.

Our Mazda dealer is smaller than the Nissan one so I would pretty much expect to see more Z's on the Nissan lot than Rx's on the Mazda lot.

Z-Stalker

·
Registered
806 Posts
Originally posted by hndumafia@Oct 26 2004, 11:37 AM
i wish the Z had low sales or better yet just low production numbers so there would not be so many.  at least rx-8 drivers can say they are more exclusive.

I think that has to with the fact we're in a college town. I saw 2 coupe (red and black) yesterday and 2 roasters today (blue and silver). I see a lot at home in Orlando, but there aren't that many at my friend's house in the Pompano Beach/ Coral Springs area (at least when I was there).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Originally posted by hndumafia@Oct 26 2004, 11:37 AM
i wish the Z had low sales or better yet just low production numbers so there would not be so many.  at least rx-8 drivers can say they are more exclusive.

Keep in mind that the reason that Nissan dropped the Z in 1996 was because of low sales. I don't think we want to see that happen again.

Gee, I bet the Ford Thunderbird owners can really feel good about their exclusivity :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Originally posted by hndumafia@Oct 26 2004, 01:37 PM

it may just be my area, but personally i think i see more rx-8s around here than Zs..

·
Registered
6 Posts
i too wish there were less Z's out there,at first it was kinda cool to see a Z driving around now i get pissed off when i see one.Especially 40 something year old woman driving this car that probably just bought the car cuz it looked pretty or something and have no idea what kind of car they are driving.I dunno but i see a lot of old lady's driving it here in san diego!It sucks!But i guess everyone has a right to own one so whatever

·
Registered
5 Posts
personally i don't think the amount of z's on the road matter much because they would not produce it if numbers weren't high. what matters to me is that they should have setup the z on 2 tiers with seperate engines. just like the turbo and non-turbo trims so that not every single z has the same engine. i know it saves millions to have 1 engine but diversity within a model is more pleasing. base, enthusiasts, performance, touring, and track put up CLOSE ENOUGH number performance wise.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
The cost to Nissan wasn't what was too high for a TT. It was the cost to the consumer. The cost of the 300ZXTT got too high for people to want it anymore, so sales dropped, and Nissan ceased production. They don't want to see that happen again

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Ford owns Mazda financial, I believe. They are staying out of telling Mazda what they will do to their cars at least.

Basically reaping the profits and letting them do what they were doing before.

Vehicles only hold up as well as you treat them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've said this in the past and i'll say it again here...the product line engineers at Mazda have no balls! How dare they produce a pure sports car with a peice of **** powertrain and charge over 30k for it? How dare they produce a similarly priced sedan with a KICK ASS TURBO 4 with all wheel drive? I just don't get it...Its like the engine blueprints got scrambled while the model line up was being produced for the execs. If you pussies at Mazda read this...stop making fools of yourselves and put the Renesis into the Miata...drop that Mazdaspeed6 off the planet and stick the 280 HP 4 into the RX-8 for the same coin. THEN, maybe your dealerships won't look like a Sam's wholesale market.

Nissan :yourock:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Originally posted by ChinaClipper@Oct 19 2004, 07:00 AM
In Texas, I do not see that many RX-8s and I suspect sales are "poor" by comparison to the Z.
[snapback]27193[/snapback]​
Must be regional. I see at least 3 RX8's for every Z here in MN. There are more RX8's in the parking lot where I work than there are Z's in the whole town (Rochester, MN).

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by Conan+Sep 27 2005, 09:13 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ChinaClipper
@Oct 19 2004, 07:00 AM
In Texas, I do not see that many RX-8s and I suspect sales are "poor" by comparison to the Z.
[snapback]27193[/snapback]​
Must be regional. I see at least 3 RX8's for every Z here in MN. There are more RX8's in the parking lot where I work than there are Z's in the whole town (Rochester, MN).
[snapback]158421[/snapback]​

Those people are clueless.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would never buy an RX-8, because of the reliability of the RX-7 turbo. I love the look of the 3rd gen RX-7, but by 30k miles you had to replace the engine and turbos. Maybe this was due to driver error (not allowing the turbo to cool down at idle and blowing seals) but I don't have that worry with my Z. I hope the RX-8 doesn't have the same fate. I can drive the piss out of my Z and not worry about it. :shiftdrive:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts