Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen lots of people running 245/40/17 front and 275/40/17 on the rear with the stock touring 17" rims. The recomended wheel size for those size tires is more than the rims that they are on, but the people that use it say they don't have problems. Is there any safety or any other concerns that I should be worried about before using those?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
245/40ZR17 8.0-8.5-9.5
275/40ZR17 9-9.5-10.5

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
did you mean 18" rims since the touring has 18's as opposed to the base and enthusiast that have 17"? reson i say this is because i got NISMO rims in 18" and run the 245/40 front and 275/40 rear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Touring comes in 17" stock, not to mention also if i got the 18", the nismo ones are still wider (im pretty sure).

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
You're both right about the rim size. The Touring comes in both. 17s on the autos, 18s on the standards

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Originally posted by Cryptonomicon18@Jul 5 2004, 09:16 AM
Touring comes in 17" stock, not to mention also if i got the 18", the nismo ones are still wider (im pretty sure).

yup, the NISMOs are 8.5 front and 9.5 rear. I forgot that the Auto touring came with 17's

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Yeah, I always forget that too. I also forget that it doesn't have VDC either.

note to self... VDC = 18s, No VDC = 17s

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is there any safety or any other concerns that I should be worried about before using those?
Since no one else answered this question I will. Mounting tires on rims narrower than they were designed for forces the tread to "bulge" in the center. Depending on the tire and the air pressure you run, this can reduce the contact patch and reduce traction. It can, and often does, result in premature wear on the center of the tread, shortening tire life.

While it may not be unsafe (won't blow out or roll off the rim), the only real advantage is looks. Do what you wish of course, but if it were me I'd not run a tire on a rim narrower than it is speced for.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">Thanks for answering that one. That's some really helpful info
</span>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts