Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isnt for my Z, but its for my Toyota 4runner. I just recently installed a mono amp, alpine mrp-m350, to a pioneer head unit. Problem is im getting no sound out of the subwoofer. I double checked all the connections and it was all good. Does anybody out there know what could be going wrong?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by Jebus@Sep 20 2005, 11:52 PM
This isnt for my Z, but its for my Toyota 4runner. I just recently installed a mono amp, alpine mrp-m350, to a pioneer head unit. Problem is im getting no sound out of the subwoofer. I double checked all the connections and it was all good. Does anybody out there know what could be going wrong?
[snapback]156922[/snapback]​

If you say the connections are good, there may be a ouple of things going on. My Pioneer HU has a control to turn the sub on or off, also has a crossover built in to send signal to it. What model do you have? Try that first,

Second, I'm assuming your amp is only for the sub? If so, and if you've connected to the HU via the rear speakers, make sure your fader control in the HU is sending signal to the back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The amp turns on and I have a deh-3700mp head unit. I looked around the settings for a sub output but i couldnt seem to find any.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good Question Toykilla! sometimes we overlook the obvious....

Ok, so you got power and your HU does not control the sub (I looked it up). Did you connect the amp by using the RCA output on the back of the stereo? If so, did you use the Front or Rear jacks? Most likely the Rear, so.... the other question I posed, did that work? Did you try the fader or left/right functions?

You have an AUDIO button on the front of the HU (top right, near the Eject button for the CD). Press it several times until FAD shows up on the screen. Your "dial" on the right side has 4 arrows (up, down, left, right). Press the "down" arrow to send signal to the back speakers. That may do it. If you connected the amp with the left/right (by mistake) instead of the front/rear, then hit the left or right arrows to see if that works.

Let me know if that worked.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Check the Ohm reading from the subwoofer AT the amplifier terminals.

Do you have another amp you could test?

Since the amp is turning on you can limit your problems to these:

1. the signal is never leaving the HU (bad headunit, something not connected right, and or something grounding out)

2. the signal is not reaching the AMP (bad wiring)

3. the signal is not leaving the amp (bad amp)

4. the signal is not reaching the sub (bad wiring, wired wrong?)

5. the signal is not being process by the sub (blown sub)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the amp working finally, but im running into a totally different problem now. I redid the whole remote line and it seemed to work at first. Now the amp seems to shut off on me now and then. Don't know whats going on. I checked the power line and it all seems fine. Could something be wrong with the amplifier itself?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
If you haven't already, keep the volume low, as in real soft. If the sub work continuously, slowly turn up the volume. If it starts to shut off, do an amperage and voltage check on the DC input to the amplifier. Oh yeah, just for the heck of it, double check all connections. You should be running at least 8 gauge power wire to the amp, good to about 100W. 4 or larger would be better if your amp is rated over 150W.

If you find out it's the power, either step the wire size up, and/or install a Cap to handle bass surge. (In A Gadada Vida).

A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it. Hopefully ill get this thing working as soon as possible. If it doesnt work out too well, ill just take it to an audio shop or something. Thanks again everyone for the help:).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts