Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<a name="What_are_the_specs_on_this_kit.3F"></a><h2>What are the specs on this kit?</h2>
<table style="border: 2px solid #c6c9ff; color: #000; background-color: #f0f0ff" width="100%" cellpadding="10">

<tr>
<td>
  • Price: $8,480
  • Installation Time: 20 - 40 Hours
  • Power (at the wheels): 412 HP @ 7.1 PSI (no rear hp numbers)
  • PSI: 7.1 PSI
  • Turbochargers: IHI 1420 Ball-Bearing Turbocharger with internal wastegates

• Intercooler: Power Enterprise (PE) Air-Air Front-Mount Intercooler
  • Fuel: Walbro 255lph In-Tank Fuel Pump, Power Enterprise Fuel Injectors (cc unknown), Power Enterprise Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Engine Management:
  • Exhaust Manifold: Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds
  • Piping: No information
  • Air Intake: Power Enterprise Air Impulse II Air Intakes

• Blow-Off Valve: No information
  • Oil Pan: Power Enterprise Oil Pan
  • All necessary parts are included.
  • Notes: Two other versions available. One exculdes intercooler and oil pan. (price: $6,480) The other excludes intercooler, oil pan, fuel injectors, and fuel system. (price: $5,480)
</td></tr></table>
<a name="Information"></a><h3>Information</h3>

This kit will work on all models of the Nissan 350Z (Z33) Fairlady and the Infiniti G35 (manual) with mods. This kit will add significant power and torque to your current stock setup. The ball bearing turbos reduce turbo lag and have max boost across the complete RPM band. Boost comes in much earlier than most other turbo kits. This kit even out performs the Greddy tubo kit by over 30hp at similar boost levels. One warning! You will have a hard time keeping the rubber planted to the ground with this kit in all gears. You should get drag radials for the rear. Stock tires just won't hold. Installation is not for the driveway mechanic and should be performed by someone experienced with aftermarket upgrades such as this turbo kit. With Power Enterprise kit there is nothing Extra to buy.
</p>
<a name="Parts_List"></a><h3>Parts List</h3>
  • (2) PE1420 ball bearing turbo chargers
  • (2) Custom turbo manifolds
  • (2) Custom outlet pipse
  • Custom high capacity fuel pump
  • Custom high capacity aluminum oil PAN (+1.0LIter)

• (6) Power's high capacity fuel injectors -- 380 CC
  • (2) Fuel pressure regulator - Air Impulse air intakes
  • Custom front mount air-to-air intercooler
  • Inlet and compression pipe set
  • Oil line set - All Gaskets
  • All 304 Stainless Steel Construction
  • Comes complete with all necessary hardware, fittings, etc.

Upgradability: Limited Upgradability past 450 rwhp due to the size of the turbos
</p>

<a name="Pros"></a><h3>Pros</h3>
  • All in one kit (Larger Oil Pan, Fuel Pump, and FPR)
  • Small turbos, quick spool up
  • Plug and play injectors
  • No cutting up the ECU
  • Stock resevoirs dont have to be relocated
<a name="Cons"></a><h3>Cons</h3>

• Costly
  • Small Turbos
  • Need Technosquare ECU flash for boosting over 6 PSI
  • Need Technosquare ECU re-flash for tuning
  • Poor Support

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found one thing..

This kit is designed to run out of box with no engine management at 5psi. This is because the stock MAF sensor is not maxed out at this level and the stock ECU handles this boost level. Technosquare is setup to flash your ecu for boost levels of 6psi or more. Additionally, you can run an engine management of you choosing.

But then again, who wants to spend 7-10k for kit and installation and run only 5psi? :)

I am considering this kit, and still have not settled on the Greddy

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
no story , really. Just general comments from people that I trust. It's not a bad kit. I just don't think it's worth the money.

It's all in what you like I suppose. At one time they made a kit for another platform (not Z33) and there were a few problems to work around. Nothing major, just wastegate diviations.

I have the Street Fury DVD (pm me josh) and they show the installation on a Z33.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Josh, what's poor support mean?? Why a reflash to tune?

If you tune before getting boost increase won't that take care of both when you reflash for increse in boost?? I'm clueless...just curious.

I'm guessing poor support as it's a Japanese co. Maybe not so good support state side. :dunno:

Yes, you can flash or reflash for increased boost. Just have to have the car there with the TT kit, etc... In house tuning. You would tune for the boost increase. You aren't clueless, that's a valid question. And you are correct.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Josh, what's poor support mean?? Why a reflash to tune?

If you tune before getting boost increase won't that take care of both when you reflash for increse in boost?? I'm clueless...just curious.

the kit does not have engine management. They come through technosquare to do the reflash. Or you can buy something like the UTEC or eManage Ultimate to tune.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
I'm guessing poor support as it's a Japanese co. Maybe not so good support state side. :dunno:

Yes, you can flash or reflash for increased boost. Just have to have the car there with the TT kit, etc... In house tuning. You would tune for the boost increase. You aren't clueless, that's a valid question. And you are correct.

Thanks, I feel good that I actually understand some of this. :irock:

Another question. I see all type of added gauges for F/I in cars today. What would be the bare minimum gage for a system like this or one similar: TT not ST.

Thnx

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Another question. I see all type of added gauges for F/I in cars today. What would be the bare minimum gage for a system like this or one similar: TT not ST.

Thnx
IMHO, Oil pressure (we've got it), Oil Temp, Fuel pressure, and Boost.

EGT (exhaust gas temp.) is nice, but depends on what you use it for. If you monitor it for reference, ok. Say from one run to the next.. or pre and post new mod. You can not really rely on this as a warning because if it's warning you, it may already be too late.

And also a wideband o2 sensor (air fuel sensor). Cheap ones aren't accurate enough , imho. Must be wide band, preferably 5volt.

Everyone will do it a little differently.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Smaller turbos spool faster and are more efficient in the lower horsepower range (i.e. 350-500hp). Where the Greddy and APS have larger turbos which are more suitable for a built engine capable of pushing higher horsepower numbers. However, any of the twin kits on the market are great.

You cant mix a large and a small turbo (at least not twins, think you could probably do a 2-stage turbo setup, but that is a different subject). The reason is twin turbos split the cylinders. 3 cylinders spit out exhaust into each turbo causing them to spool up. They both compress air and feed it back into the intercooler, after which it finally reaches the engine.

If I am not mistaken PSI is PSI, so 5psi (measured at the intake plenum) from a greddy is the same as 5 psi measured from an APS or PE.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Okay what about this...you say "two small turbos" What constitutes small? What benefits can come from mixing a larger turbo with a smaller turbo in the same engine? Can this PE smaller turbo be upgraded in the future?

And versus APS and Greddy what's the power diference of the sizes at ~5-6 psi? Thanks guys!

Smaller than a single large turbo from a ST application. It's easiest to sum it up like that.

Small can refer to any of the following. And without someone being specific, it's hard to tell what they mean:

Compressor Housing -the cold side of the turbo. Contains the Compressor wheel
Compressor Wheel -what (compresses) pushes air through the first part of the turbocharger
Turbine Housing -the hot side of the turbo. Contains the Turbine wheel
Turbine Wheel -what pushes spent gases out the downpipe (exhaust)

^^^ that is not 100% correct, but good enough for general discussion. I recommend www.howstuffworks.com for a better tutuorial. Here is the direct link http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

The type of twin turbo people use on the Z isn't one that would benefit from two different sized turbos. The twin turbo setups on the Z work in parallel. A sequential twin turbo system, like found on the RX-7, is setup with the primary turbo working until x rpm.. then the 2nd turbo would start providing boost pressure.

From a RX-7 site:

The sequential turbo system works by the primary turbocharger receiving exhaust gas from all the rotors to spool faster, therefore increasing low speed torque and helping to remove the dreaded turbo lag. The 2nd turbo whilst spinning is still yet to provide any boost. At a pre-determined speed the 2nd turbo spools up to add full boost. This results in effortless performance in conjunction with the rotary engines natural smoothness & flexibility.

I cannot recall if sequential turbo systems use two differently spec'd turbos. I believe they do.

Hope this helps, and doesn't confuse... I tried to reply quickly, yet be clear. :helpsmile:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
If I am not mistaken PSI is PSI, so 5psi (measured at the intake plenum) from a greddy is the same as 5 psi measured from an APS or PE.

Yet, another highly debated and discussed question.

I once had a turbocharger it boosted 15psi. I upgraded the internals, it made the same power at 12psi that it did at 15psi. Clearly more power. Different compressor wheel , different flow / minute.

^^^ This is just the beginning of this topic. Perhaps for another thread.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That's not correct my friend. You really need to understand what mass air flow in lbs per minute each turbocharger flows at a given pressure ratio. For example, a large frame size turbo may well flow higher mass air flow at 5 PSI than a smaller turbo at 15 PSI, hope that helps. :cheers:

Peter

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
doh.. i should have known that.

100psi through a water faucet is not the same as 100psi through a 10ft pipe

1 - 20 of 79 Posts