Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the deal I want the bronze Nismo rims but I wanna wait for x-mas to blow over. As for the rims yeah they are super expensive but i like them so ,.. yeah I'll just place them on my credit card and pay it off little by little. But for now I wanna powder coat my stocks 17" Bronze i think it would look good w/ the daytona blue paint.

so what do you think its only $75 per rim

yay or nay?

·
Registered
72 Posts
go for it. or, you could go to www.eastwoodco.com and get a powdercoating kit for 129, then buy an old oven for about $50 and do it yourself. My kit should arrive today. I will be powdercoating my brembo's. I've got a set of performance rims I may coat, just for fun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat. Want the Nismos, but wanted something to tide me over for a few months. I decided that wasting $300 for just a few months pleasure just isn't worth it. However, it might not be a bad idea if you want a cheap way to try out the bronze color prior to purchasing the Nismos.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup see thats the thing,... think we can get a group buy on the nismo's i mean they are hot and i dont see why or who wouldent want them?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thats not a bad price, but have you ever thought about doing them your self? I did my rsx wheels and they came out great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i read what 2003z posted but that whole bake in the oven thing totaly turned me off.

is there another way?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well what you want to do is sand them down some so the paint will hold and pick up a few cans of spray paint good kind and a good color u want and a can of clear coat. You can take the tires off but just tape them off or cover them how u would like then just apply a coat or so let it dry and do that a few times 3-5 coats then hit it up with some clear coat at the end to give it the bling LOL. But yeah that basically it here's a pic of mine if u wanted to see.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by RSX8600@Oct 13 2004, 01:30 PM
Well what you want to do is sand them down some so the paint will hold and pick up a few cans of spray paint good kind and a good color u want and a can of clear coat.  You can take the tires off but just tape them off or cover them how u would like then just apply a coat or so let it dry and do that a few times 3-5 coats then hit it up with some clear coat at the end to give it the bling LOL.  But yeah that basically it here's a pic of mine if u wanted to see.

I'm very curious as to the details of your project. Tell us how you sanded it down (i.e. type of sanding), if you covered every square inch of the wheel or just did the fronts, etc. That would be cool reading material for anyone who might want to tackle it the same way you did.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It costs us 350-450 to powdercoat stock rims depending on the color...

I have done bronze / black / gunmetal rims alot in both the NISMO rims and the OEM style rims

Attachments

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]@Oct 14 2004, 02:13 PM
It costs us 350-450 to powdercoat stock rims depending on the color...

I have done bronze / black / gunmetal rims alot in both the NISMO rims and the OEM style rims

Jasen, any pics of the stock 18's (not the Ray's) in Bronze?? Ive been kickin that idea around a bit for my SB...

·
Registered
54 Posts
1. Remove wheels , and clean THOUROUGHLY with dishwashing soap and water (to remove any grease or wheel cleaner). then dry.
2. tape off tires (tape will not stick to any tire dressing so wash them too),and valve stems (if you did not remove the tires)/ remove center caps
3. sand lightly to remove factory clear coat and make better surface for paint to adhear to.
4. paint with paint of choice , hit the hard to reach spots first then let dry (in between the spokes and such), then hit the front of the spokes, and the center. many light coats, NOT one thick coat. I had probably 6-7 coats.
5. i tweaked my paint process a bit because i wanted Satin wheels, but this is were you would apply your clear coat, 2-3 coats same process. wait 4-5 hours before handling because the last thing you want is a fingerprint in your paint because you were inpatient.

then enjoy... depending on how well you sand and clear is on how well the paint will stick (not flake). Powdercoating is ALWAYS a better route to go, but if you are just trying to tie yourself over for a little while and/or just board and need a weekend project, this is pretty fun.

took me about 4-5 hours taking my time and the paint is still flawless after 7-8 months.

good luck, i'll answer any questions anyone has.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Originally posted by Spdu4ia@Oct 25 2004, 07:50 PM
i sprayed it flat , it came in yellow primer

yeah, thats what I thought... on second glance your setup kinda reminds me of the Skyline-style front lip. It's flat black for all the body colors.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts