Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The next Z34 Fairlady Z/370Z is shaping up to be one very promising sports car.

It’s been one scoop after the other since the Nissan GT 2012 meeting in May and the upcoming Z34 Fairlady Z (370Z) has to be the most eagerly awaited of the models shown, so much so that Japan’s Best Car magazine have already commissioned their own Z34 mock up made by Mad House! Unbelievable…

There have been a couple of new developments since our last report, the most significant of them being a V8 which could end up powering a high performance version of the Z34 which will be identifiable by a “G-nose” modified front bumper reminiscent of the S30 240Z. The G-nose will add even more 240Z flavor to the Z34 making it a kind of “new retro”, a phrase coined by Best Car to describe the mix of old and new influences.

Best car interviewed Z34 Chief of Production Shinjiro Yukawa last month and he confirmed that a V8 could see the light of day in a special edition model. Yukawa mentioned he wanted to “raise the performance of the new Z” while also acknowledging the Porsche Cayman S as being the Z34’s primary contender when it hits showrooms in December this year. The Z34 will of course be powered by a VQ37HVR engine from the V36 Skyline Coupe as we mentioned in our last update, only this time power is said to be slightly lower at 340ps but with the same 38.5kg/m torque. That shouldn’t matter though as the Z34 is rumored to weigh up to 100kg less than the Z33 350Z which should give it a useful boost in performance over the current model. A 6-speed manual and 7-speed “manual mode” automatic transmissions are still on the agenda.

The suspension is expected to be double wishbones up front with a multi-link rear end with upgraded braking hardware which will include 6 and 4-pot Brembo calipers and larger disks on the Version S and ST models. The basic Fairlady Z will make do with 18 inch wheels and tires while the Version S and ST will get a slightly larger 19 inch wheel and tire package. The interior is one area where there isn’t any information at all at this point… another area which will get more retro influence perhaps?

The styling of the upcoming Z34 is said to enhance the concept and proportions of the Z33 Fairlady Z, with even more pronounced fenders than its predecessor and adding a roof line and A-pillar treatment similar to that found on the R35 GT-R. The overall effect is one that resembles the outgoing Z33 but which also blends old and new elements to create an original shape. Best Car has put together some CG images using the leaked photos from the GT 2012 meeting to give us an idea of what to expect.

The price of the Z34 Fairlady Z/370Z is expected to be between 3,700,000 - 4,700,000 yen for the V6 models and over 5,000,000 yen for the G-nose V8 high performance version.
http://www.7tune.com/high-performance-z34-...se-possible-v8/

·
Registered
43 Posts
V8 will never be realistic possbility for the Z. It would price it way out of the consumer base.

Just b/c something is on the web doesn't make it true.

The next Z will be an evolution of the current model, not a revolution. IMO

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Doesn't surprise me at all. Speculation has been that there will be a ~$5k jump in price. Honestly, if Nissan can keep the wait down to around the current VQ level, and not lose the high revving attributes, I think it's a great idea. The only thing is that Nissan doesn't currently have such a V8. A 3.6 or 3.8L V8 might be a great engine, capable of pretty good power. Honestly, I think this is going to be more common over the next couple years. Nissan has pretty much maxed out the VQ in ways that are completely 50 states legal (as far as I'm aware of), so to build any more power, an 8cyl might be necessary. There have been rumors that the next GT3 may be a V8 as well. Additionally, we might see more successful aftermarket parts (and more race Z's).

If they can pull of a decent V8 for $35k (which shouldn't be impossible the Mustang GT is less than that) it'd sell great.

~Pat

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Crap, now that I've finally decided that I like the headlights I get a good look at the tail lights and want to puke all over again... I just want to see the real thing so I can decide if i want an 08 or an 09!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:jawdrop: Rumor or not, it sounds like an awesome machine. This should be interesting as things progress with the next gen Z.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Why offer a V8 model when they could easily use either a N/A 3.7L, or a TT 3.8L. They ALREADY have both. Why spend all that R&D to make a new V8?

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE (Jetpilot718 @ Jun 26 2008, 04:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=540488
Why offer a V8 model when they could easily use either a N/A 3.7L, or a TT 3.8L. They ALREADY have both. Why spend all that R&D to make a new V8?
what if they've ported the pathfinder or armada v8 to rev higher and fit in the frame? That'd probably be a reliable engine, and it's already available. My preference would be a TT V6 though....that'd be the shtuff! :dance:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about the current V8 out of the Armada. I'm thinking they're just going to tweak that engine for a newer lineup of cars, but I don't see why they'd go to a bigger engine when they can improve the V6 which is already proven.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nissan is way too frugal to ever put a V8 into the Z.

They sell plenty just keeping the current V6 in there.

One thing I know for certain is that it will be lighter, and reflect more of a 1st generation (240z) influence.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Well. Theoretically .. if you kept the same displacement with a V8 .. you could reduce the rotating mass and increase the RPM. *shrug* .. just throwing that out

·
Registered
201 Posts
personally...I'd love to pull up to the line in a V8 z w/ a 'stang or camaro and watch 'em in my rear view as their pounding on the dash-board w/ their fist. If you debadge the inevitable v8 emblem, you'd have a little sleeper.

·
Registered
194 Posts
QUOTE (art_suckz @ Jun 26 2008, 01:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=540457
Crap, now that I've finally decided that I like the headlights I get a good look at the tail lights and want to puke all over again... I just want to see the real thing so I can decide if i want an 08 or an 09!
+1 not feelin it at all!!! :headshake: the front shot is uuugllyy as fuuu**kkk llol!!! and should i start talking about the rims?! lol!!! :rolf2:

and the side shot really looks like that old Datsun my pops was ridin back in the 80's :headshake: :vomit:

sorry guys... my 2 cents :wavey:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think a TT 3.7 with a deeper stroke would be a better platform for the next ZED. They’ve already done the R&D with the R35 and their race engines. Putting a V8 in it would be a little to much in weight. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
12 Posts
With the current curb weight of the 350Z, if Nissan do decide to add a V8 version of the 350Z. Where would the curb weight be of that model? The last 300Z was at 3299 with an iron block, with an aluminum block the 350Z should only be a few hundred pounds lighter. I really don’t think they should add a V8 variant of the 350Z.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow...I'll have to admit that it does sound like a mean machine but it just doesn't appeal to me. I guess it might be different in person, but I think the side shots look like a z4 coupe...and those things look like an ugly shoe. It definately makes me rethink going FI but then again I got the z because of it's history & performance, not because of it's cosmetics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dare not to expect the V8 too much since the 5.0 L engine has only 390hps...which is really...just not satisfying enough.
Comparing to current VQ35 HR every liter provides 88 hps but on the V8 one liter only provides less than 80 hps..

3.8 TT on the next Z is impossible so just expect the 3.7 NA with DCT and that
would be really ass-kicking already..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts