Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Z for a year now and it wasn't until a few weeks ago that i was driving on the highway and all of a sudden started to notice that my steering wheel was vibrating really bad. I live in L.A. and the roads are pretty shitty out here so the ride will be kinda bumpy now and then but this was definitely different. When i pointed it out to my passenger he said that he noticed the difference on his side as well. Now, i have had bald tires pretty much since i bought the car and one of them has a leak that no one could fix so i just refill it every couple of weeks. After a while it got to be so bad that i thought maybe i had a flat but when i got out to check my tires were all fine. Since then i have only driven on the highway once and felt the same thing but it really only seems noticable at high speeds. I can only notice a very slight difference during my daily trips to work which is only about a mile away. Also, my driveway sucks and i have to put boards down every time i leave or come home just so my underbody wont scrape, however, i lived here for about a month before i came up with the solution so my flexpipes are all scraped up.
So basically i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem might be and if it it could be related to either my tires or my flexpipes in any way. I would really appreciate any input before i have to pay nissan to look at it. I am a young girl and i know just about any mechanic would try to take advantage of me and since i don't know much about cars they would most likely get away with it. Thanks in advance. :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Originally posted by Black Beauty Z@Jul 9 2005, 11:02 PM
I've had my Z for a year now and it wasn't until a few weeks ago that i was driving on the highway and all of a sudden started to notice that my steering wheel was vibrating really bad. I live in L.A. and the roads are pretty shitty out here so the ride will be kinda bumpy now and then but this was definitely different. When i pointed it out to my passenger he said that he noticed the difference on his side as well. Now, i have had bald tires pretty much since i bought the car and one of them has a leak that no one could fix so i just refill it every couple of weeks. After a while it got to be so bad that i thought maybe i had a flat but when i got out to check my tires were all fine. Since then i have only driven on the highway once and felt the same thing but it really only seems noticable at high speeds. I can only notice a very slight difference during my daily trips to work which is only about a mile away. Also, my driveway sucks and i have to put boards down every time i leave or come home just so my underbody wont scrape, however, i lived here for about a month before i came up with the solution so my flexpipes are all scraped up.
So basically i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem might be and if it it could be related to either my tires or my flexpipes in any way. I would really appreciate any input before i have to pay nissan to look at it. I am a young girl and i know just about any mechanic would try to take advantage of me and since i don't know much about cars they would most likely get away with it. Thanks in advance. :helpsmilie:
[snapback]129190[/snapback]​

Fist of all :welcome: to the site!
From your statement I'd advise that you invest in some new tires. More than likely you'll find that with a new set of rubber & a good balance job the vibrations will go away. I'd suggest that you visit a well know & reputable tire joint rather than the dealer - should be able to get you into better tires at a better price than any dealer will. Let me know if this fixes your problem :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input Buff. I am hoping that my tires are the only problem cuz im kinda broke and dont want to have to pay for anything else right now. I definitely wasnt going to go to the dealer for tires, i was just thinking of finding some online cuz i figure i will find the best price there. I've just been putting it off cuz i have no clue what kind to get. There are so many options to choose from and i dont really know what would be best for me.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
New tires should fix the problem like Buff said, just don't get the stock tires (potenza RE040) cause they are not a great tire....I would recommend an alignment as well, I lived in LA for a few years and the roads are pretty crappy in a lot of areas esp for little sports cars :shiftdrive: My dealership recommended an alignment at least yearly, if not twice a year. If that doesn't fix it, contact your service dept. and hopefully they can fix it under warranty. Where are you in LA? I have heard nothing but good about Performance Nissan in Duarte. Might be worth a drive. Cheers :cheers: Welcome to the site :welcome: stick around, this is a good bunch of people here :DiRN:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.