• Urethane

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure there's a difference between ABS and urethane.

Which of the four materials is the lightest or strongest? What are the pros and cons to having one over the other for daily driving?

Let her rip! :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had found this and thought it was a good price for the whole kit, but then I saw that it was fiberglass. The word 'brittle' keeps coming to mind.

Ing Style LX Sport

·
Registered
806 Posts
For structural purposes, carbon fiber is very very strong. The problem is that when a force is applied for which it cannot handle, it shatters since it's not malleable (instead of giving like metal does). Plus, CF looks awesome :p Oh yea, if you break something made of CF, most likely it's done. You'll have to replace the entire thing and cannot fix it to the same way it was before (this was the case with a Ferrari Enzo and McLaren F1).

Fiberglass can produce hairline cracks over time simply because it's not as strong as a material such as CF. It can actually be really strong is you use many layers, but then it gets heavier. Early Vettes are known to have these kind of cracks, but it's easy to repair fiberglass. I say fiberglass is good for looks and affordable (cheap to repair, too).

Uretane and ABS are good for bumpers since they give and go back to their shape with heat (most of the time). It's very light, but I believe it's more expensive than fiberglass.

If you're looking to replace front and rear bumpers, go for urethane or ABS (I don't think they're much of a difference). I would stay away from full CF on the bumpers. I'd use CF for the rear hatch and hood. As far as fiberglass, I wouldn't get it myself. You don't have much of a choice for materials since most companies use fiberglass for bodykits (inexpensive to produce).

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I vote urethane for anything in the front at least especially if its a daily driver. I have a urethane Veilside Lip and I am very glad it is. I would have cracked CF or FG definately already if not

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Al. When I think of CF, I envision parts flying all over Nurburgring...did I spell that right?

I'm torn between the weight and cost department. I like plastic, but like you said, it comes down to $$$.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Dave079@Dec 11 2004, 02:46 PM
I vote urethane for anything in the front at least especially if its a daily driver. I have a urethane Veilside Lip and I am very glad it is. I would have cracked CF or FG definately already if not

I've got that ABS chin spoiler that seems to be holding up really well. I've already hit something on the freeway, and it only scuffed it. Of course, now I'm thinking of a full front fascia like the Ing I posted.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Dec 11 2004, 02:46 PM
Thanks, Al.  When I think of CF, I envision parts flying all over Nurburgring...did I spell that right?

I'm torn between the weight and cost department.  I like plastic, but like you said, it comes down to $$$.

Heh, you forgot the umlautz! Nürburgring
I'll give it to you anyways, lol.

I voted for CF because of the looks unpainted. I was unsure what body panels you were referring to, or else I would've said urethane for the bumpers. Urethane is very lightweight so replacing it with CF will do nothing much in the weight department for the bumpers.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Go with urethane for a daily driver. Urethane will give if you scrape it, while fiberglass will crack or break in half. Fiberglass is easy to fix, but then you have to fix it and repaint the whole thing, which can become a huge hassle after a while.

Carbon fiber is also nice, but like Al said, after you scrape it it won't get fixed. It's just broken. You have to buy a new one. In that case, I also wouldn't go with CF if it's going to be a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The poll is somewhat incomplete in the fact that I could always mix and match. For example, go with a urethane front, CF skirts, or whatever combo looked or costs the best.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
True, fiberglass would be a good option for skirts and a rear since you don't really have to worry about scraping those as much.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
most of the really cheap kits I see are FG...most of the really, really expensive ones CF.

Need something a bit forgiving for the road....CF sure looks nice, but for parts you're gonna paint anyway...

I take it you're not looking to shave ounces off your curb weight, either?...

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I realize that adding on a kit of any material will also add weight. So the material's weight is a small concern, but so is quality and cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts