Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive searched and nothing comes up, does anyone know the benifits of a plenium spacer? or where i can search or info?

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
well it bascially allows the Z the breathe better. i woudlnt mess with this and i suggest replacing rh upper intake plenum such as the APS one

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
well it bascially allows the Z the breathe better. i woudlnt mess with this and i suggest replacing rh upper intake plenum such as the APS one

+1, less variables by doing this. If the spacer has a leak, it will hurt performance, and there's 2x the chances of a leak with a spacer. Get a plenum.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
The spacer is a cheaper method than buying a new upper plenum of getting more air to the engine.

If you have the money get a full plenum, if not get the spacer.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
its been proven to equalise the airflow front to back of the stock plenum, that should make higher rpm of the stock engines a bit more smoother, but i think the biggest gains are in ME's latest thermal parts

also note, the spacers dont work on the 300hp engines because the new plenum is already airflow balanced

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
It increases airflow (by increasing volume of the upper intake manifold) to all cylinders, specifically the front cylinders.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have had the MD 1/4 spacer since they came out. It is well built and well designed and Tony is a stand up guy. It came with every bolt, every washer, gaskets and all. The AAM angled spacer does not come with all of that (most visit the hardware store), has the bolts torquing at an angle and has not proven to make any more power than the MD one. Skunk2 is making thermo spacers now but not supplying gaskets and apparently wont fit under the stock strut bar. If you look on the evil board, I think there is a GB on the MD thermo ones right now.

For me, I like that the car still looks stock when you open the hood (besides the Injen that I have a CARB sticker for), I am sure it would pass smog with this in place as only someone who knew exactly what they are looking at would even notice. Most Z people don't see it, so it's not a show part.

If I did not live here or it was CARB legal, I would get the SSV, that thing is so sweet.

Chris

·
Registered
620 Posts
I thought the MD spacer was great when I got one last year. I helped install one today and the kit is even better now. I love what he has done with the pylon spacers.

I did discover that early 03 cars have smaller bolts on the strut bar. So there was one trip to the hardware store for those bolts, everything else was in the kit.

Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
its been proven to equalise the airflow front to back of the stock plenum, that should make higher rpm of the stock engines a bit more smoother, but i think the biggest gains are in ME's latest thermal parts

also note, the spacers dont work on the 300hp engines because the new plenum is already airflow balanced
Wrong on the 300hp engines. I airflow tested the new lower plenum and there is still 10% less airflow front to back. The overall airflow has increased. This helped with the extra 13HP. But torque was sacrificed for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I heard that installing a complete plenum vs a plenum spacer would be more difficult if not impossible to get warrenty work done. Who wants to replace the entire plenum to get something under warrenty fixed. I understand that you can still tell(if your a technician) if there is a spacer or not, but its not as obvious, and staring them in the face. Think about if your a tech and a large amount of work has just been assigned to you and a when you open the hood you see Kinetix staring you in the face...do you work on it..or tell the service manager????????? A spacer may be an option for you!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I heard that installing a complete plenum vs a plenum spacer would be more difficult if not impossible to get warrenty work done. Who wants to replace the entire plenum to get something under warrenty fixed. I understand that you can still tell(if your a technician) if there is a spacer or not, but its not as obvious, and staring them in the face. Think about if your a tech and a large amount of work has just been assigned to you and a when you open the hood you see Kinetix staring you in the face...do you work on it..or tell the service manager????????? A spacer may be an option for you!
They actually can't void your warranty by law unless they prove a specific part caused a problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
get the motordyne 5/16 spacer...good mod for the buck! Also keeps the plenum cool! Highly recommend! Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.