Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. I have $300-$400 to spend, and i was wondering what i should do. I was thinking about a plenum or plenum spacer. I want to get the best I can get for the $, but i kinda also want to retain the factory strut bar. or should i do something other than a plenum for getting the most power with this budget?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
plenum is a good mod for that money.. its up to you as a full plenum and a spacer will yield approximately the same gains. Think there are 2 spacers that let you keep the stock strut bar, and 1 plenum.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kinetix is the plenum you are referring to that lets you keep the strut bar, and altered atmospheres and motordyne are the spacers right? I am looking for a sound gain too. Will i get that with a plenum?

Also too, do you think the plenum is the most bang for the buck with my budget?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
yes the plenum is probably the best to go with for that money, unless you plan on going forced induction, which you shouldnt use the kinetix v4

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey toykilla, thanks a lot. i def have a few pics of your old Z on my computer. I am using them to show my paint guy the darkness i want the tint to be on my taillights. they were perfect on that car. not too light or too dark. so the kinetix is what i am thinking of going with. i am probably not going F/I. but if i were, what would be best? sorry for all the questions, but i want to make a purchase i will be happy with.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
The plastic kinetix is the only plenum or manifold i wouldnt suggest for forced induction (it will crack). All the spacers, plenums, and manifolds will work well and it just depends on what you want at that point. You are basically just trying to get more flow to all of the cylinders.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i am pretty sure I am going with the plenum spacer. Which do you guys prefer. the motordyne 5/16" or the AAM angled. i want one with the best sound at this point. i see that the MD has the option to get one that is more heat resistant. is it worth it? should i ditch the strut bar all together?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have the AAM Spacer. I Love it. good Hp gain for the money. It changed the sound a little but I have so much other stuff done that you cant really tell

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i am leaning toward the AAM (wonder why....haha). the only other mod i have is a popcharger. i am sure the fact that i dont have an exhaust setup yet will accentuate the sound of the engine with the spacer. anyone know what the angle in AAM's spacer is all about?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
if you are na, spacer
if you are fi, plenum
:dunno: I have the Crawford plenum in my NA car, and it runs well. Loud, too. I was never 'sold' on the idea of the spacer. Just didn't make enough sense to me to pay that kind of money for what basically is a big washer.

the angle is designed to increase flow to the front two cyliders more so than the others. (as this is where the OEM plenum is lacking flow on the 287hp models)

Your 2 posts almost seem to contradict each other. The reason I got the new plenum was to overcome that factory design.

I could've cared less if I kept the stock strut bar. I got a good deal on a used Crawford kit, so I went for it.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
no, what i'm saying is a plenum replacement is a waste of money on an n/a car when the spacer will net about the same gains.

now if you are FI, the plenum replacement SHOULD really shine over the spacer.

this of course is my humble opinion. :)

Tha angled design is made to correct flow to the front two cylinders. That is all I stated in response to his question as to why it's angled.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Hehe...then I'm halfway to FI with my plenum. :jk:

Someday....after you're done with all the research, I'll just copy you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't want to start a war here, but a full plenum (IE Crawford) corrects the imbalance created by the angle of the OEM spacer, the motordyne, while being an improvement, still leaves that imbalance, because there is no angle to the spacer. I believe there is an angle in the AAM spacer, but I have not heard reports back from many users. If it were me, and it was, I would get the Crawford.

Lou

1 - 20 of 32 Posts