Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am just about to upgrade tyres and need to know if they feather easily as our stock tyres.

Even though I am getting my toe fixed and stuff I am still bit skeptical that this problem might come back so I am trying to minimise this by getting good tyres and alignment fix done to it :)

I would like to know peoples result of their tyres that did feather and that didn't feather.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you can put the price as well so I don't get ripped off :)

PS its 18" TRACK version 225/45/r18

·
Registered
352 Posts
The easy answer is yes. Pirelli tyres will feather as will any other brand IF you don't get the alignment done properly.

I personally went for Bridgestone SO3's, 245x45x18 all round.

As always

H

Sorry forgot to add, tyres were $390 each

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harry how is your tyres holding up? I am tempted to go with the SO3.

How many k's has it done and do you see the feathering pattern?

I am getting My problem fixed, but again combining it with tyres that wear less would be better :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've had the new tyres on for only about 4000 k's. No probs yet, I didn't have any with the old ones either (other than the noise).

Keep in mind any "performance" tyre will wear quicker than a tyre with a harder compound, it's just one of those things you have to put up with.

As always

H

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told that uneven tyre wear and noise go hand in hand :(

I totally don't care about performance as I have only dragged someone only once!!! and that was with a good mate :)

I just want noiseless tyres so I can do everyday driving.

So far my 4 choices are

-bridgestone GIII (being that its none performace so it should last long not sure about the noise)

-bridgestone S03 (seems like a good performer)

-michelin Pilot sport (similar to S03 but different brand which I like as I can't really trust bridgestone)

-Pirelli (how seems like its not that good)

personally my heart leans towards michelin but my pocket doesn't :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think you're asking too much for noisless tyres. Don't forget, we have absolutely no soundproofing and any tyre will be noisy.

I don't think they make the GIII's in the size you need.

When I got the SO3's I was after something that was "reasonably" priced, no way known am I going to pay $500 - $600 per corner for tyres.

Don't forget as well, the feathering issue is not the fault of the tyres, but, the alignment.

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you know what comforts me is that, our cars are not the only ones with this issue. I have check rx8 forum, and other sports car including s2000 etc and most of them who used our re040 complained about treadwear and noise! :) kinda comforting that our Z's aren't that retarded when it comes down to tyres :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
including s2000 etc and most of them who used our re040 complained about treadwear and noise!

S2000 does not come with RE040s. It used to come with S02s and now RE050s.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Gianniz - in the recent Wheels mag tyre test, the GIII beat the SO3 and is much cheaper (I was surprised that the GIII beat the SO3). Does that mean its better than the SO3 for the Z????

If you want a reasonable performance tyre that is quiet, then look at the Falken range. From memory, the ST115 type tyres are supposed to be super quiet and designed for audiophiles who want to hear their woofers and tweeters as well as getting good performance from the tyre.

After putting up with my noisy RE040's, I wanted to buy the ST115's for my Touring, but Falken does not make them in my sizes. I don't know if they even make them in Track sizes.

I ended up getting the Goodyear F1 GSD3's and they have so far been amazingly quite compared to the RE040's. Although, I suspect that these tyres will get progressively louder as they age, just like the Bridgstones did.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Getting good performance tyres that meet the specs of the Track or Touring models in Australia is very difficult. Nissan selected some odd wheel / tyre sizes for the Z.

Even the SO3 is not a perfect fit option for the Z if you are to maintain the tyre stagger.

I got lucky with my Goodyears as they maintain the stagger on my 17" clad Touring model. If Nissan had put an 8" wide wheel on the front to match the back, instead of the stupid 7.5" front wheel, then I would have put the same size tyre all around.

·
Registered
785 Posts
You can still put the same size tyre all round. The stagger set up of the rims is not a problem, a good tyre place will advise that the difference is not of any concern, so the same width can be used front to back.

This will broaden the choice for both 17' and 18' tyre choice.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
But can I then rotate the front tyres to the rear and vica versa? What effect will this have on the offsets and therefore handling of the car.
If they put 8" all around, with the same offset, then rotating tyres would be uncomplicated.

I don't want to rotate my 7.5's to the rear, have an accident and then have an insurance claim denied, when I pay a couple of grand each year in premiums.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You could just have the tires rotated without the rims, it cost me $100 last time I've done it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You're spot on the mark Nuff. I will consider doing that on my next tyre change if I find my rears wear significantly faster than my fronts on this set of tyres.
BTW I've had my tyres changed just once and the assholes at the tyre shop scratched / damaged my mags with their hydrolic guns. Their guns just fit onto the slots for the nuts and any slight wobble with the gun leaves slight scratches on the wheels. I did not notice these when I had my tyres changes because my wheels were very dirty, so I only noticed the following week when I cleaned my wheels. Where there were light scratches, the brake dust could not be cleaned away.
So now I won't let another hydraulic gun near my wheels. I will instruct them to take the nuts of with my hand wrentch (whatever that tool in the back of the Z is called).
If I had $1000 / corner Volks / Rays etc, I would have gone back and cracked a **** with the tyre shop.
Anyway, you guys with expensive aftermarket wheels have been warned - don't let a hydrolic gun near your wheels!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i got Michellin Pilot sports :) very good and NO NOISE :)

MAGS! Hmmmm the bloody idiots scratch both fronts, same thing as KY350 where the bolts are placed and also the outer rims!!

They told me this things happen and more common with Bridgestones as they are hard rubbers etc!

They want me to bring my car in and they will fix it up :( 2 days work! Not happy.. Should I sue them!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
hmm i went to Donnellans and they never scratch my rims. They really focus on what they are doing when they putting on my S03. Which place you went?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't want to name them as they did do a good job on my break system. I took it to beaurepaires before and they did not even put a nick on it!!

I guess I should be bit more selective when doing this..

PS the company who did mine are one of the big names!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts