Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headshake: Picked up my new z today, I had paint protection , I should have known better , just a bad polish job, done by solace in cannington , car is covered in swirl marks including rear lens,
Cant believe I paid for that , jeez any advice as to how to get the paint looking new again, instead of second hand
Maybe I should claim a respray off em , whoever did this sholdnt be let near a second hand truck let alone a new car,
Not happy Pete

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Swirl mark should be able to be Polished off using some Abbrasive cut. Better leave this to Tpiace or Nuff the Expert in Polish stuff ;)

Or you can try polish it with NXT meguilar. As it has the filler for swirl mark on it.

cheers

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
sorry to hear dude, the dealer f$#ked my black paint job too, but luckily i have a mate who is a pro detailer who gave the car a buff with Menzerna Final Polish and ive put a few layers of P21S carnauba wax on it http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/scascone/126_2631.jpg

id recommend the same treatment, a light to medium cut with a high quality abbrassive, menzerna or farecla, followed by the wax of your choice.........depending on color, and how much maintenance you want to give the car. Get a pro detailer to do it, i ask my mate for detailers in WA if u wish. He'll have a plastics cutter to use on the lenses too

some points, never use a filler to do a cutters job

after a few washes, the fillers will wash away, especially the cheap stuff meguairs puts in their products, and ur back to square one

let me know how often u plan on waxing the car, and the color, ill suggest a wax for you :cheers:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that TPIACE, sounds good advice, colour is Burning Red, I love to polish my cars so dont mind how often I do so, that Carnauba wax should be fine wouldnt you say? and if your friend can advise me of a good detailer in WA , that would be great,

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
check out this website, its an Aussie detailing forum where my mate and alot of other gun detailers hang out

http://detailparadise.com.au/

start a thread asking for WA detailers, and you will def get a reply

and yep P21S will work great on red. It will last around 6 weeks, but application takes around 15minutes to do the whole car. Its around $50 for the tub, and it lasts for years. You just wipe the wax on, then wipe off immediately. No chalky residue, no mess

if you want longer protection, you could try a synthetic wax like Zaino. Costs about 3 times as much to buy the whole kit, and takes around 3 times as long to apply as u apply multiple coats and require the use of quick detailers bw each. But it will last a good 6 months. You wont have to touch the car for quite a while. But if u want the car swirl free all the time, Zaino isnt the way to go. Its much too strong to cut through by hand, only harsh abbrassives on a buff will cut through it within 6 months of application, and repeated use of harsh abbrassives arent good for the paint, let alone Nissan's super thin paint. With a carnauba like P21S, u can cut through it by hand.

i prefer a swirl free car, which is why i switched back to carnaubas. As i see swirls or light scratches, i go over that panel with the Menzerna, then wipe the P21S back on again

there are also a few tricks to avoiding frequent swirls. Buy alot of sponges, ive got about 10 in my garage and throw them out after a few washes. Use one sponge for the body, and one for the lower sills and lower parts of the bumper. And when washing, have one bucket filled with water to rinse the sponge, and another bucket with the soap in it. You will always get swirls, as any washing no matter how careful, will always rub the paint. But u can minimise them

·
Registered
528 Posts
when i first got the car from the dealer they too screwed my paint job, as its also black swirls everywhere!! sucks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Same thing happened here. Just got a detailer to remove it. Not too sure what he used tho.

there are also a few tricks to avoiding frequent swirls. Buy alot of sponges, ive got about 10 in my garage and throw them out after a few washes. Use one sponge for the body, and one for the lower sills and lower parts of the bumper. And when washing, have one bucket filled with water to rinse the sponge, and another bucket with the soap in it. You will always get swirls, as any washing no matter how careful, will always rub the paint. But u can minimise them
Speaking of washing, which are better.....sponges or those mitts?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
if the dealer's detailer couldnt buff the car to begin with, i wouldnt let him have anothet go at it

re mitts, everyone will have their own opinion, i find mitts tends to trap dirt and little stones deep in the pile. i use the kenco rectangle sponges, and soak them in hot water overnight before using. They are only 1.99 each. Use em a couple of times and just throw them out

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
the best MF clothes ive found are the top of line in the Aquatouch range. I have yet to see these online even on waxit.com.au who are one of the main aquatouch dealers in Aus

I get them through my detailing mate who orders them direct from the Aquatouch wholesaler, they are around $10 each, even cheaper than the lower quality clothes waxit stock. I can give you his mobile if you want to order some. Last time i was over, he had a whole box full

I have one cloth for the wax, one for cutters, and one for the quick detailer. And a few unopened just in case i drop one

you could use an MF towel to dry the car, but they are quite small compared to a chamois, and are alot more prone to picking up and holding dirt in the fibres, so next time u use it, u could scratch the paint. A chamois is smooth, so unless u dropped it or rubbed it on the ground, it wont hold dirt or debris

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thanks to the help from guys here and David Ellis of waxit , I think I have found a good detailer in Perth.
Stephan of Protech in Willeton sounds very capable , ill be seeing him on Monday for his advice . If anyone is looking for a pro detailer in Perth his ph no., is 089 259 5881
Thanks again all.
DRove the z today to Mandurah and back , around 125 ks awesome.

regards Tip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts