Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I knew it was coming, I just didn't know when. I received my 60 day notice yesterday that I will be permanently laid off on the last full week of August. The plant that I work at is closing and they are sending the business to Brazil. So this doesn't come as a surprise. Well now I have some decisions to make, do I go back to school and get my MBA, which is what I am leaning towards, or do I try and find another job. If I am understanding correctly, I can get up to 18 months of unemployment and up to $4000 year if I go back to school. Also, if anyone is hiring a mechanical engineer with a few years of experience, let me know, I will soon be available.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
dude, that sucks

That's perfect timing if you could go back to school. I really hate my job, and I'm probably not going to be working here by the end of the summer... it's a mechanical engineering position, and they will need to find my replacement

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I think the one thing that I am worried about most is that I won't be doing any mods to my car anytime soon.

On a serious note, I will have to discuss my options with a few people and then go from there. Who knows, maybe this will be my good turn of events considering that I have been on a shitty road since my car was totaled last year.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Zx, sorry to hear about your situation. Just curious, are you willing to relocate? I deal with various manufacturers and engineering firms all over the country.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Ouch.. I I have been on the verge of layoff since i was hired.. seems i picked a very volitile industry to work in.. they sent out layoff emails to many people last week (luckily i didnt get one) .. but its pretty stressful

I would say do the school thing. I am probably starting my MBA next january. Engineering + mba = bank $$

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by gdojr@Jun 18 2004, 08:05 PM
Zx, sorry to hear about your situation. Just curious, are you willing to relocate? I deal with various manufacturers and engineering firms all over the country.

I am interested in possibly relocating if it is worth it. Send me a PM with some info on what you have in mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
A door closes; a door opens.

Last time I got eviceted, I ended up buying a house, which has since doubled in value....

I only hope your 'bad news' turns out like mine did!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The same thing happened to my son about 5 years age. After his little pitty party he went back to school, started doing temp work through a temp agency and has worked his way back up to a management position at around 70k.
More school would be good if you can swing it.
There aren't many people that haven't been through this same thing one way or another.
Just remenber like lionkiller said "A door closes; a door opens"
And be careful what you pray for.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I have decided to hold off on school until it is my last resort. My first mission is to try and find a job within the company, since it is a very large company, I am sure that there are job openings in other areas. If I can't get a job there, then I will start looking outside the company, gdojr, I will be sending you my resume in that case which I will know by July 12th.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts, in the end, I will hopefully be doing something better than I am now and I will have enough money to keep putting mods on my car!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts