Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be ordering a performance upgrade sometime within a week. So as I'm looking at all the sponsors on this site, I came across the ZEX smart nitrous kit for just over $500. Not bad. So now I'm trying to figure out the diff between wet and dry and which is better. Which system do most people run in their Z's?

Also, I was checking out the reviews section and couldn't find pricing on any products unless I go to the vendor site. Bummer. I wanted to know the best price for resonated test pipes. Most of you guys are suggesting those instead of the Helix test pipes. Any hookups or sites I should go to based on your experience?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, the wifey is going on a spending spree at Ikea, so I can spend a 'little' on the Z...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I'm no genious when it comes to this stuff, but wet is better than dry. I know that much.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Right now your only resonated cat-pipe option is Kinetix. However, I am working with one of our sponsors to develop a new line of products, including resonated pipes..

I agree with you on the review section, it would be nice to have pricing there, which is something i am currently working on.. it is just going to take awhile to collect all the info..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
here's a link...http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/42538/

the way I understand it is: 'dry' is o.k. for smaller shots 50-75 hp...'wet' for higher.

Primary consideration is that nitrous cools the intake gasses drastically & without added fuel ('wet'), you could find yourself in a 'lean' a/f condition ...which causes detonation
broken pistons
, bent rods

You want a big hit, go 'wet', change fuel pump, injectors, get an a/f meter.

That being said, it IS cheap horsepower, & people who stick by the nitrous rules see long service, reliability....break those rules, & you can count on trouble.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
yea i had a 75 dry shot on my integra tyoe r for a long time but just got rid of it b/c it got annoying removing the bottle and then having to get it filled.

Smooth i have the resonated ones from kinetix, but i would suggest waiting until some new ones come out. i also have a buddy who took the test pipes from kinetix and then welded his own resonators on it. i would do this but i already bought the kinetix a while back. i have been having rubbing issues with my pipes and i have been reading that others have the same issues as well.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sam, thanks for the information! That's pretty easy to remember. Did you check out the nitrous vendors on this site? They've got an electronic setup for under $600, but that's the basics. I don't think it includes upgrages with plugs, injectors, etc.

Josh, do you know anyone who sells those resonated test pipes and for how much? Or for that matter, anyone else know?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:goodtimes: Well, today I ordered the aluminum air guide from StrictlyZ. It was on sale for $55 instead of the usual $95. I couldn't let that get away. I also ordered the Earth goundkit in blue with 5 wires. Maybe I'll order those chrome bolts and nuts from the same guy...

I am going to go for it and enter an import car show with a local club that I recently started hanging with. Seems this car show is the biggest one Minnesota has each year. It's called Autovations. The show is scheduled for August 21st.

Tomorrow, I'm going to call a couple of places about the test pipes and possibly the front lip. I may try to order from the same distributor and get a discount or better shipping charges. I'm having most of this stuff delivered to my work address, so that's supposed to be cheaper than resident delivery.

Once I get all this stuff organized, I'm going to install it all and see what a big difference the mods will make as compared to the stock performance. I hope to be able to tell a difference.

If you guys have any pointers on prepping for a car show, let me know. Also, if you know of any good deals on mods that are relatively inexpensive, don't hesitate to suggest them. As always, you guys
and I appreciate all the help and support. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Try to get a point sheet from someone. Reviewing it before the show can be very helpful for preparation

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an excellentlink for Nitrous. Pm me if you are interested. Like 20 pages long from a guy who invented a hidden motorcycle kit. He tells you everything there is to know....myth and fact about nitrous.

I would out it here, but i gotta find it in my oversaved "favorties" files.

·
Registered
620 Posts
http://www.nitrous.info/ is the one you are looking for.
Keep in mind he hates metering at the jet (like all american systems) and prefers to meter at the solenoid. He makes a lot of senses on that stuff, but importing a kit from the wizards of nos in the UK can be expensive.

Chris

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It figures.
I was a good boy today, doing errands, working on the house, playing with the kids, cleaning the garage (as usual), and start prepping the Z for my installs.

I can't find my 10mm deep socket.
I have my Z up off the ground. Let me tell you, it took me some time to find a spot for the jackstands to position. Anyway, I finally got to do what I've been wanting for a while: Lie back and admire the underside.

I'm a little disappointed in the single pipe exhaust. I've got the Helix test pipes ready to install, and the JWT pop charger also waiting on the sidelines. At least I got my aluminum airguide in today. It looks very nice and complimentary. Also, my blue 5-wire grounding kit is awaiting install. Yeah, this ought to be fun! All 3 'mods' should really put a kick in the butt dyno!

All I have to do tomorrow is visit Ace Hardware, then spend the rest of the day playing with my Z. I'm going to wash it while it's off the ground to really clean the underside. Woohoo!

Wish me luck! Any advice before tomorrow will be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it took me some time, but I was distracted by kids, food runs, tool runs and bleeding fingers. I didn't take too many pics; you guys know what the Z looks like...right?

This thing must weigh 60lbs!

Without the airguide (for the moment)...

It's nice to have a whole garage to myself...took it for a spin, parked it diagonally to let it cool off, then washed it tonight and let it sit there until I go to work in the morning. It's going to be sooo much fun to drive it in the morning!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Nice job SmoothZ! I like the Airguide; like you said, compliments the engine bay - I was actually thinking of getting one within the next few weeks. What color is that by the way?

I'm sure the Helix pipes sound great. Thanks for the pics.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The airguide comes as polished aluminum. The side you see is protected by a plastic sheet with low strength adhesive which allows you to peel it right off. I thought about painting it blue, but when I put it on to see how it would look...well, you know the rest of the story.

Thanks! I should take pics of my bloody hands and bruises to show the darker side of DIY, but it feels good to know I can do it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, it took me some time, but I was distracted by kids, food runs, tool runs and bleeding fingers. I didn't take too many pics; you guys know what the Z looks like...right?
Without the airguide (for the moment)...
It's nice to have a whole garage to myself...took it for a spin, parked it diagonally to let it cool off, then washed it tonight and let it sit there until I go to work in the morning. It's going to be sooo much fun to drive it in the morning! :irock:
Wow this is an old thread...How long did the test pipe install take? Notice any SOTP improvement? Did removing the cats throw a check engine light?

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Test pipe install I'd plan on 2 hours. The real problem is getting the stock bolts loose, so get some WD-40 to help break them loose. It's not easy to get to all the bolts, so have a set of deep sockets and preferably gear wrenches ready. You also need to replace the stock bolts with Grade 8 bolts you can find at the hardware store.

I just changed back from Helix pipes to my stock cats this past week. With the Nismo exhaust (mine has no resonator in the midpipe) it was ungodly loud.

I'm looking into the Megan resonated test pipes now, hoping that will keep the air flowing back there better than the stock cats. Nice pics by the way Dave! :clap:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts