Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am a :newbie: here so first of all I would like to say hello. I purchased a 2003 350Z 2 weeks ago this coming saturday and I absolutely love it. I took me a couple of other cars to get her but I just worked my way up from an 04 Frontier to a 03 Altima 3.5 and now I finally have my Z. Anyways, to my question.

Within the week or so I am going to be purchasing headers and downpipes. What is the main thing people are doing so they do not get the SEL light for when they install the downpipes as I know that eliminates the cats. Is the only solution an o2 simulator? I know the light doesnt hurt anything and its just throwing codes for emmision purposed but I still hate looking at that thing. LOL. Your info is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch. I do have to say, I have been browsing around for a week and :yourock:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[/quote]

i was just doing some more reading and found a thread that stated 2003 Z's will most likely not produce the CEL however the 2004 will. Mine was sold as an 03. Also the test pipes I was going to get were the megan racing. My buddy has a spec v and has one of their midpipes installed and the quality looked really nice. With me being a :newbie: what setup would you all suggest for the best possible performace/sound. I was looking at the megan headers, testpipes, and then possibly the borla exhaust????? is this a bad combo? thanks for all your help yall.

matt

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would say that the simulator is probably correct also. I haven't gone with that route yet but I have an '03 and have installed headers, test pipes, and TD exhaust and within the last 2 months or so I have had SEL twice. I'm assuming it's the stock O2 sensors causing the ECU to throw codes but the service guys can't figure it out. So far I've gotten a new ECU out of it, and am still waiting for the results of the new findings. I don't know if a complete reflash would even do any good but that's what I'm thinking of doing next.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]

i was just doing some more reading and found a thread that stated 2003 Z's will most likely not produce the CEL however the 2004 will. Mine was sold as an 03. Also the test pipes I was going to get were the megan racing. My buddy has a spec v and has one of their midpipes installed and the quality looked really nice. With me being a :newbie: what setup would you all suggest for the best possible performace/sound. I was looking at the megan headers, testpipes, and then possibly the borla exhaust????? is this a bad combo? thanks for all your help yall.

matt
<div align="right">[snapback]102701[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, technically, 2003 and 2004 models should NOT produce a CEL. Since they both use a narrowband O2 sensor, August 2004 and after have wideband O2 sensors.

Either way, you shouldn't have a problem with a CEL.

What are the Megan test pipes? Resonated or non-resonated? If they are resonated there shouldn't be too much rasp. The Borla should definitely produce a deeper sound. Sounds like a good combo to me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Megan Pipes are resonated. Here is a picture of them. The welds on these things are nice. All of the welds look like a row a nickles. At least that is what I have been told a good weld is supposed to look. Yea so they are resonated so I dont think it will be to raspy. I will have the stock exhaust with the aftermarket headers and pipes. Reason is because of $$$$ but I will have the exhaust soon. Does any exhaust system for our car come with a resonator???

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/SSDP-N3Z%20x500.jpg');}" />

Matt

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I have an 04 with resonated pipes and stock exhaust. It is not raspy. It sounds mostly like stock but a little louder.

I dont know how headers would affect the sound. My CEL is on, but i am working on a solution for that now..

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
CEL = Check Engine Light

No such thing as SEL. There is SES [=Service Engine Soon].

·
Registered
187 Posts
You are going to want some kind of resonator in there. Whether it welded on with the race pipes when you buy them or you have to add them in yourself later. I have the Stillen headers & exhaust with B&B race pipes and when it was initially installed it had a nasty rasp. Sounded like a civic with a fart cannon. I bought some resonators and had a guy that does custom exhausts mount them between the race pipes and exhaust. Had to cut some from each side to put them in place but it made a world of difference.

Oh, I have an 03, no CEL

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[/quote]

The test pipes do come with a resonator built into them so I think i will be good to go. Thanks for the info. I pray that i don't get the CEL. If I do Ill just reset the ECU. If that doesnt work then cotton is going over the bulb. LOL.

On a side note, Im getting my front seat replaced because of the cloth wear TSB :) WOOT!!!!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
[/quote]

How can you still not know??????? I sent you this info over at my350z, plus I posted this on just about every forum

nonfoulers all the way:

HELP! Spark plug non fouler. Part 42002 for 3.99 from autozone.
They are a 2 pack. Get two packs and drill 2 of the nonfoulers out with a 1/2" drill bit. screw the NON driilled nonfouler into the test pipe. Then screw the DRILLED nonfouler into the non drilled fouler - install your o2 sensor into that. You will be SES light free and it will cost you less than $10 and about 1/2 hour of time.

PM me if you need help
A link to help a brother out

Most likely an 03 won't throw a SES light, but just in case it does

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[/quote]

How can you still not know??????? I sent you this info over at my350z, plus I posted this on just about every forum

nonfoulers all the way:

They are a 2 pack. Get two packs and drill 2 of the nonfoulers out with a 1/2" drill bit. screw the NON driilled nonfouler into the test pipe. Then screw the DRILLED nonfouler into the non drilled fouler - install your o2 sensor into that. You will be SES light free and it will cost you less than $10 and about 1/2 hour of time.

PM me if you need help

<div align="right">[snapback]102800[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is just too cool. Thanks man. Also if I get these headers and downpipes with my stock exhaust, will i still have that really nice exhaust note that the Z came with. I know it will be a bit different but will it still be very close. I just love the stock sound I dont want to get rid of it. Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What kind of headers are you going to pair with the test pipes? My suggestions would be as follows:

Highly recommended but very expensive:
Crawford Medusa headers (I can help you will install info)

Great header, great value:
Topspeed
DC Sports
Nismo (a bit expensive)
Stillen (maybe)

Poor performers:
Borla

·
Registered
728 Posts
[/quote]

nonfoulers all the way:

PM me if you need help

[/quote]

That is just too cool. Thanks man. Also if I get these headers and downpipes with my stock exhaust, will i still have that really nice exhaust note that the Z came with. I know it will be a bit different but will it still be very close. I just love the stock sound I dont want to get rid of it. Thanks.
<div align="right">[snapback]102819[/snapback]
[/quote]

You will have basically the same exhaust note until you swap catbacks. Test pipes and headers will only make the exhaust a bit louder and possibly raspy depending on the test pipes you choose.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[/quote]

I was going to get the Megan Racing headers and test pipes. I have seen there quality and it is great. The test pipes are also resonated so that will def. help with raspyness.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]

nonfoulers all the way:

PM me if you need help

[/quote]
LOL! I just copied and pasted it in that thread because I didn't think I would need any help with that just yet. :lmfao: :cheers:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2003 with T-pro resonated test pipes ([email protected] <<<contact him for a good deal) and it does have a little rasp after 3k... you can not get around the rasp if you go with test pipes. PM me or email me if you need more info or want a good price on the test pipes.. i will talk to the guy who hooked me up. I have had my pipes for about 3000 miles now and they are holding up great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts