Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have received this error code 4 times, so must be delt with. 2004 350z with Auto with 85000mi.(owned since 07 with about 44k mi) Only happens on the track (never in normal driving). P2135=Throttle Body and pedal position error. I was going to swap out the pedal position sensor on the car ($15) part and cross my fingers, but this part only appears to be available for the Manual Trans. For the Auto, I can only find the pedal assembly ($250). At this point, I need to diagnose true issue, but feel that the TB should be swapped if I am going to roll the dice. The car is stock at this point so TB upgrade and cold air intake would be reasonable thing to do. This car will never be as fast as I would like, but it is fun. Suggestions on how to go forward.

Thanks.
Ed

·
Super Moderator
1,885 Posts
To be honest, P2135 has been my nemesis on my 350Z SCCA T3 racecar. You may want to compare the throttle pedal sensor for a manual with the one on your auto since it's cheaper. I have no real world knowledge about whether it's the same, but it's worth $15 to find out. Make sure you perform the throttle position relearn procedure after the install.
Also, are there any cuts or splices in your main wiring harness? I suspect this may have contributed to my Z being down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I think the wiring harness has not been messed with. Also, I have put about 40K on the car with no problems, but that was on the street. The track environment is the issue. I was looking at several web sites and focused on CarParts.com. I noticed that the $15 part was only recommended for Nissan manuals and some Infinity w/o sport package. After a chat on the site, I was directed to the full pedal assembly $250 and sure enough- recommended for the Automatic Trans. Based upon this, I am redirecting to a more sophisticated method of diagnosis if I can find one.

I can turn it over to the dealership, but I'm thinking that if they say it is the TB or the ECM I have to pull the car as I'm not interested in OEM parts going forward. Also, they may not be able to replicate the issue in the shop. I can get in about 4 miles before the issue appears on track.

Additionally, I have some good resources here. Auto Engineer with electrical experience that pointed to TB at the track and willing to wrench. Considering this as best option and upgrading to 75mm TB and new intake.

Additional thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
To be honest, P2135 has been my nemesis on my 350Z SCCA T3 racecar. You may want to compare the throttle pedal sensor for a manual with the one on your auto since it's cheaper. I have no real world knowledge about whether it's the same, but it's worth $15 to find out. Make sure you perform the throttle position relearn procedure after the install.
Also, are there any cuts or splices in your main wiring harness? I suspect this may have contributed to my Z being down.
I see, you have a point right there, it could be the reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, you have a point right there, it could be the reason.
Success!! We checked the output of the old accelerator pedal position sensor at the throttle body and saw that the voltage was weak in pin 6 and not there at all in pin4. Google search provided instructions and said it should be 5v in Pin 4 & 6. I bought the attached APPS on Amazon for $22. I was unable to find any switch alone after searching several websites and auto parts stores. I could only find $250 pedal and switch assembly. After install of new APPS, we got several voltage readings at the TB on many of the 6 pins. The voltage was not exactly like the Google instructions, but vastly different than the old APPS.

Reset the Pedal using pedal dance. Drive on parking lot/ local street / and highway with no issues. Next day - track day. Ran two sessions of about 11 miles per session and no issues, stalls or engine lights. Picture is of the old APPS and the box for the new one.

Next project is brakes. Need rotors and pads (maintaining stock calipers). Looking for suggestions, but avoiding drilled rotors.
Font Computer data storage Cable Fashion accessory Logo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts