Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to Bobjane T Mart today and they told me I can have G3 Bridgestone tyres for $360 each.

They said these tyres are for my car and its exactly same except its not a High performance tyre but just an every day driving tyres.

Has anyone tried this?

I am calling Nissan to bitch about my car tyre noise problem. I 3 different Nissan services in Sydney and none of them wants to do anything!!! So I am going to make an official complaint to Nissan.

Also I need my Brembo front pads replaced.. Anyone here got it replaced cheap?

Nissan Parramattas charge $550 or so and Jax is charging $400-$450!! (thats fronts with Machining the Rotors)

I need answers asap.

PS I talked to Jax and Bobjane they both told me I shouldn't put the 245's on the front as they are different dimension.. (is this correct? are the mag rims actually of different size?)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the "cheap" tyres.

I recently put a set of 245 SO3's on my car with absolutely no problems. I even checked with my Nisshit chappy and he was quite sure it wouldn't effect the VDC or anything else.

The front rims are 8 inches and the rears are 8 and 1/2 but 245's are fine on both.

Can't help you with the pads as I haven't had to change mine yet, however, if you do a search of this forum you will find a few threads on the subject.

I hope this helps.

As always

H

EDIT

Sorry I forgot about the tyre prices. I "only" paid $395 each for the SO3's so it really depends if you think saving the $35 a corner is worthwhile whilst using a "cheaper" tyre.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You should be able to use 245 tires on all 4 wheels, it might cause problems with VDC, but then you can always switch it off, I drive with it off all the time anyway. By the way, the next time your tires get noisy you can always rotate the fronts with the rears.

As for brake pads I got myself Ferodo DS2500, they can squeel a bit at low speeds. They costed me around $230 for the fronts. I didn't turn the rotors and I did the swap myself, it's very easy with the brembos. There are cheaper pads as well, RB74s and others. Shop around. Also the DS2500 should last longer then the OEM ones.

·
Registered
235 Posts
GIANNIZ - download the TSR from the Nisshit site and take that to the dills.

See what they can say then!

FRIZZLE

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
$360 for GIII, I think you're being robed. If you're going to spend that much money, then go for the SO3's instead. If you shop around, you may also get the SO3's at $360 per corner.

If you decide to go for GIII's, or any other non OEM tyre, make sure that the load rating matches the OEM rating. A lot of people ignore this fact, but I'm sure that your insurance co won't, if your Z is written off.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the "cheap" tyres.

I don't know ... After two sets of S03s on two different cars I don't rate the S03s much better than the RE040s. Well, they are better when worn dorn, but that's about it.

I have not tried the GIIIs myself, but I've heard good things about them and I'd certainly give them a go if I had to replace my OME tyres.

As for brake pads I got myself Ferodo DS2500, they can squeel a bit at low speeds. They costed me around $230 for the fronts.

Where did you get them for $230? I payed $285 for them about ayear ago, but that included fitting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How many k's have you done? It sounds like the tyre feathering problem.

I wouldn't bother complaining to Nissan. There is definately a TSB out and as long as the dealers' have it they should fix the problem. They contributed 60% towards the cost of new tyres for me.

The tyre featering is very noticeable. Check on the inside of the tyres. The wear is uneven around the tyre with many flat spots.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thing about TSB they said its USA only and theres none for AUSTRALIA! so they wont honour it!.. if there is one for Australia where can I get these information?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can anyone tell me where I can get my brake pads replaced?? I like that Ferodo DS2500 seems economical (my cars an every day drive car!).
I live in Blacktown region

·
Registered
188 Posts
I did a lot of research for an alternative to the 040's. They are very hard to beat for the $$$ so I stayed with them.

Some may disagree (I have only ever heard other people bag them) but they are actually very good value for the cheap price they are- I don't mind them at all. I paid around $250 each. You'll need to spend a fair bit more to get better rubber.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I tend to agree with Lionking.

The RE040 are a very good performing tyre for their price point. To move upto a 'higher' performance tyre costs a fair whack more and I don't think the difference in performance of the tyre warrants such a premium.

The only time I really dislike the RE040 is in the wet but I suspect that most tyres would perform about the same on the zed in the wet.

If you are after saving some dollars, the RE040 are priced well because alot of manufacturers use them as their standard tyre on cars.

Shop around and you should get a good price.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I did a lot of research for an alternative to the 040's. They are very hard to beat for the $$$ so I stayed with them.

True ... though I' think that the S03s can be had for only about $30 more per tyre. The again, I'm not sure if the S03s would be any better on the Zed ... just the other day I was driving a friends (totaly stock) S15 200SX and he has 225/40/17 S03s on it. The ground was wet so I was not trying anything, but at about 50kph in 2nd gear I did squeeze the throttle a bit and light up the rear wheels. That is while going straight, and not really trying. He tells me that he can break traction anytime and anywhere ... which is not unlike the experience I've had with them on the HSV ... in particular once you get more than 10,000km on them.

That is why I'm saying that I'd look at the GIIIs or Azenis ST115, which should be priced comparatively. I don't know about the GIIIs, but from my experience the ST115 is a much better tyre than the S03 ... in particular once they are a bit worn.

Sidenote - my RE040s with 17,000km on my 350Z are now very slippery. Yesterday I broke traction by driving (relatively) hard around a round-about in 3rd gear. That is in the dry, and while doing maybe 80kph. Also I can break traction in the dry, when I'm in the 1st gear and going straight. All I have to do is put my foot down once moving and the back will break loose. Though, before I got about 13,000km on them I had no real complaints about the RE040s ... they were nothing special, but at the same time they did not break traction that easy. I'm guessing I can get 25,000km out of the RE040s at most. I know that there are people whoi got a lot more.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've got a tad more than 20'000km on my RE040 as well and the only problem is the noise.

The traction in the dry is amazing... I really have to play the clutch to lose the tail even in corners. Well i guess I could lose the tail if i went fast(er) but i'm not slow to begin with!!!

Still I find the noise from feathering is grinding my patience down... I might just replace the front with 245s as an easy option.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
has anyone tried Falken Azenis ST-115

As I mentioned before, I got them on my sisters 323 and they are a lot better than I thought when shopping for them. They had plenty of grip in the dry and wet when new, and they don't seem to have any less grip now after 30,000km.

I's hard to compare them to other tyres as I've had other tyres on different cars (ie. RE040s on 350Z and CV8-R, S02s on MR2, S2000 and HSV R8 and P-Zero Rossos, S03s and ContiSport2 on the R8 again). Though, to me they feel a lot better tyre than the RE040s or S03s. To be bonest, I would not get the Rossos over them.

When it comes to updating my road tyreson the 350Z, then ST115s will be one of the tyres on my shopping list.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
problem! its hard to get those st115 in sydney!!!

i guess I will have to do with bridgestone GIII

PS anyone know where I can get the 225/45/18 for HANKOOK as they are very cheap :)

PPS my original tyres has done 40,000k and still has another 10,000k left! :) i use my car for work long journey on m4 :) (i don't need a performance tyre!)

PPPS I found a guy who will replace my brembo fronts for $380 (with machining the rotors) they are going to use genuine Nissan part (there was 2 choice one is the green and other is the red- his getting me green as red costs twice as much)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
[/quote]
You want a load rating that is equal to or higher than the OEM tyre and 100 is definately higher.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'm running DZ101's on the car now (review to come) and I'm relatively happy with them.

Their dry weather grip is good (not a patch on my last set, but then what is?) and their wet weather grip is better than the RE040's.

Unlike the Potenzas the DZ101s use silica in their construction, which means they get more grip (especially in wet weather) with less rolling resistance, and hence wear, than traditional tyres. They're also directional, which helps with water dispersion and also look sportier.

Not sure how much they are in 18's, but in 17's they're the same cost as the RE040's and they feel better when I'd driven on them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts