Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only three days of experience, but IMO ~3000-3500 RPM is the best... What works for you guys? Also, what do you set your shift-light at? :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
222 Posts
agreed 3200 rpm is good for daily driving and gas milage i average 22-28 mpg on a tank. When i dont play too much. Just keep her above 2k or it will bog down the engine in my opinion. especially after 3rd

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
thats fine 4 every day driving .... if your racing ~6000 - 6200 i have my light set at 6k

That's pretty much right... it all depends if you're in a spirited mood or not :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
My shift light is set at the top; maybe around 6500.

For everyday driving, I normally shift around 4-4500. Hehe... :shiftdrive: :burnout:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I keep my light at 3800 so it will come on solid at 4,000 (max tq). For max acceleration and power, shift at redline.

Hey Jet,

Isn't OEM peak torque at 4800rpm?

274 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm

:dunno: On my baseline dyno it did. After ECU tuning it was able to reach peak torque a bit sooner. 4650-4700.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I don't know about y'all - but I can feel the power drop off right after 6k. I shift right before it hits 6.

From 4-6k - it's very strong. :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I don't know about y'all - but I can feel the power drop off right after 6k. I shift right before it hits 6.

From 4-6k - it's very strong. :shiftdrive:
yes. :thumbsup:

peak power is at 6200 rpm. And if you don't have an air filter or plenum or tuning... Up top will feel dull.

·
Registered
85 Posts
For maximum acceleration you typically want to shift well past the power peak. Why? Because when you shift the engine drops down below the HP peak and has to climb up again in the next gear - which has much less mechanical advantage than the previous one did. The higher you shift, the higher the power level at the start of the next gear. The Z's relatively flat HP curve at the top benefits from high rpm shifting since you loose less power going past the HP peak point. Try it.....

For daily driving I usually shift at 3800-4000 because it sounds so good! :shiftdrive:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts