Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't afford headers, exhaust, test pipes or cats right now, but test pipes are a possible mod. I just listened to a G35 with stock exhaust and helix test pipes and it sounded great. so what do you guys think about them? also, i was throwing around the idea of Ultimate Racing or Megan. i am unsure about the quality of these three, let me know what you think. More importantly, is it worth getting test pipes because of emissions? why do so many people have them if they are not smog legal? The last thing I want to do is pay $ for something that i will take off because of laws. thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and what i meant above in the first sentence was a combination of 2 of those mods, or all three. the test pipes seem the cheapest option for something i can do right now, and be able to start my complete aftermarket exhaust with.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I would get Helix test pipes or Kinetix test pipes

Helix is great , but its on back order for a couple of months
Kinetix would be a good option
APS Test Pipes are also good

have u considered High Flow Cats?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I've got the Helix pipes and like them. I have no complaints about them. I also like the sound of them on my stock exhaust. Combined with my JWT intake and Crawford plenum, the power and sound suits me just fine for now.

As for smog, not all states test or certify the car. However, I believe that all states require you have cats. If they find out you don't, then they got you by the balls.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, but there is a big difference in price between HFCs and Test Pipes. Where can i find the kintex ones? I heard that the APS ones are bigger in diameter, and are not the best for NA motors because of that. but then also there is the issue of the engine light coming on. ****, this test pipe thing sounded good in the beginning, but now it seems like it is a pain in the ass. i still love the sound

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
It's not a PITA. I think it's worth it if you're on a budget. I would seriously look into Helix or APS. APS shouldn't be an issue because you'll still have backpressure from the rest of your stock exhaust.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I never had that problem. My O2 sensors work just fine, and they are in the pipes.

I believe it wasn't a problem for the 03's, but the 04's and newer did experience the light problem.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hmmm...maybe my reflash caused the exhaust to be rich and that caused the light to trip. It came on during the 60 mile trip home after the install. The sensors were hooked to my test pipes as well.

I have no clue...

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I have never done the reflash. I hope to avoid that altogether and just go straight with the UTEC some day.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
As for smog, not all states test or certify the car. However, I believe that all states require you have cats. If they find out you don't, then they got you by the balls.

+1

true

but if u are concerned about emission HFC is the way to go

? Do you know the fine for removing emission controls from a vehicle?

I'll give you a hint. It's more than the difference in cost between HFC and test pipes.

yeah, but there is a big difference in price between HFCs and Test Pipes.

Not if you care about being able to pass smog. Let alone if you get caught without any cats on the car. You will be wishing you had put HFC instead of test pipes.

You own a $30,000 car.. Why skimp and save a few bucks to pollute the enviroment?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Unfortunately I was impatient and got the flash done in September. UTEC is on order and I'll watch the cash spent on the flash go down the drain...

Oh well, this UTEC discussion wasn't so prevalent a few months ago, particularly for NA Z's.

·
Registered
588 Posts
+1

I'll give you a hint. It's more than the difference in cost between HFC and test pipes.
Not if you care about being able to pass smog. Let alone if you get caught without any cats on the car. You will be wishing you had put HFC instead of test pipes.

You own a $30,000 car.. Why skimp and save a few bucks to pollute the enviroment?
+1 that, in addition to how loud the car was, made my decision to take the test pipes off very easy.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Dyno

in other words.. you just got results from AAM on the ECU flash.. If you can.. do another dyno there at AAM.. so you can see a fair comparison.

You could go somewhere else and get different numbers right now. If you want to see how much more power the UTEC will make over the Flash that is.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not sure if I understand yet. I dyno'ed last Friday with the stock cats on. I never dyno'ed with the test pipes.

The next dyno will be with UTEC and my other current mods, with the stock cats. If that number isn't good enough, HF cats will be in order.

Sorry for being slow, it's close to my bedtime :)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts

i think maybe 50% of Z owner have test pipes on their Z's if not more.

emissions or not, test pipes are more preffered, especially if they are resonated.

test pipes are more durable than HFC, and is better for TT applications

1 - 20 of 32 Posts